• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Fast and Furious review.

lebeau

Advertisement
What's the average wait time for FF these days? I actually don't think I've gotten over to US since it's been open. It sounds horrendous.
The current wait time is: Too damn long

lebeau

The wait times have never been long, partially because it has really high capacity, and also because of its reputation.

Since there likely won't be a long wait, it's worth it to ride it once, just to see exactly why it''s so bad.

We had a twenty minute wait the first and only time I ever rode it. That was with EP which of course is no help at all with the virtual queue. We flew through all the rooms with cool theming and then spent 20 minutes in a winding concrete tomb. Easily the longest and least pleasant wait of our week-long stay.

Rob562

Is there any way to salvage this awful attraction? Has there ever been a UNI ride so poorly received that it was quickly redone after opening?
Closest thing I can think of is the complete renovation of Jaws shortly after it opened, but that was mainly because the original version was plagued with technical breakdowns and show issues, although that might have also lead to poor reception. They ended up suing the original designers and redoing the entire thing with a different company.

F&F isn't really the same as that, though. It just sucks in its execution, not in technical reliability.
The two closest examples from the greater theme park industry would be Superstar Limo at DCA and the middle version of Imagination at Epcot.

Superstar Limo lasted only 11 months before closing due to low guest satisfaction. It sat dormant for a few years before being totally reworked into the Monsters Inc dark ride 4 years later, a total redo of the attraction that reused the ride system.

Imagination 2.0 (Journey Into Your Imagination) survived two full years before being reworked into the current iteration.

I can't imagine that Universal would just let F&F continue in its current form for too long. Maybe limp along to keep its capacity in the summer and holiday crowds, but once they get to the off-season this winter, I'd expect them to do SOMETHING. I just don't know what that'd be.

-Rob

lebeau

The two closest examples from the greater theme park industry would be Superstar Limo at DCA and the middle version of Imagination at Epcot.

Superstar Limo lasted only 11 months before closing due to low guest satisfaction. It sat dormant for a few years before being totally reworked into the Monsters Inc dark ride 4 years later, a total redo of the attraction that reused the ride system.

Imagination 2.0 (Journey Into Your Imagination) survived two full years before being reworked into the current iteration.

I can't imagine that Universal would just let F&F continue in its current form for too long. Maybe limp along to keep its capacity in the summer and holiday crowds, but once they get to the off-season this winter, I'd expect them to do SOMETHING. I just don't know what that'd be.

-Rob
I hope you're right, but there's not a lot of lipstick you can put on this particular pig. I am at a loss.

tribbleorlfl

I was hoping when the first rumors of a FF attraction popped up and then the first FF tram experience in Hollywood used Kuka arms that that technology would eventually be used for the ride. Imagine hit rods on the end of Kuka arms simulating drag racing, tight turns and drifting instead of flying in fj.

Bairstow

I was hoping when the first rumors of a FF attraction popped up and then the first FF tram experience in Hollywood used Kuka arms that that technology would eventually be used for the ride. Imagine hit rods on the end of Kuka arms simulating drag racing, tight turns and drifting instead of flying in fj.
Since Universal already has large, visible outdoor coasters, the most obvious approach to fast and furious would be a big launched coaster. Why simulate speed when you can just do speed?

Edward Jackson

Has anyone taken a look at the Cars ride in California? That is what Universal should have done for F&F. I don't care
if people think it would be copying. Imagine riding through sections of the ride in some of the vehicles that have in
the queue, and the last part of the ride would always be a drag race. Of course, they would always make sure, if you
were in Dom's car you would win.

Bairstow

Has anyone taken a look at the Cars ride in California? That is what Universal should have done for F&F. I don't care
if people think it would be copying. Imagine riding through sections of the ride in some of the vehicles that have in
the queue, and the last part of the ride would always be a drag race. Of course, they would always make sure, if you
were in Dom's car you would win.
Would be neat, but that ride system is proprietary.
Not to mention hellaciously expensive to build and maintain.

Edward Jackson

Would be neat, but that ride system is proprietary.
Not to mention hellaciously expensive to build and maintain.
Honestly, no offensive, but if you want to run with the big dogs and compare yourselves with the
other big Orlando theme park, make the extra effort. Tell me if they had not done something
similar, F&F wouldn't be a two wait ride, instead of something people are being dragged onto.

lebeau

Honestly, no offensive, but if you want to run with the big dogs and compare yourselves with the
other big Orlando theme park, make the extra effort. Tell me if they had not done something
similar, F&F wouldn't be a two wait ride, instead of something people are being dragged onto.
Sometimes you gotta think like a suit. They weren't sitting around saying, "What's the best use of our popular film franchise?" The decision came from "How much can we increase the bottom line with a cheap port of that thing from the tram?"

I think everyone would agree that F&F could have been the basis of a great ride. It should have been something involving fast cars. That's a no brainer. But if you tap into your inner pencil pusher it's real easy to figure out how they landed where they did.

Edward Jackson

I think everyone would agree that F&F could have been the basis of a great ride. It should have been something involving fast cars. That's a no brainer. But if you tap into your inner pencil pusher it's real easy to figure out how they landed where they did.[/QUOTE]

Not if you are looking to really compete. Animal Kingdom was in no way Disney's most popular park, (It still probably isn't),
but I have been there and seen a two plus hour wait for Flight of Passage. Each of those people in line, purchased a ticket
to get into the park. Sometimes it is better to spend the money to make the money, instead of just filling space. Especially,
in this case, as the space filler turned out to be a poor addition.

Top Bottom