Fantasyland Expansion vs The Wizarding World of Harry Potter

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
Note: I created this thread on another site that isn't Disney Parks savvy, thats why I explained a lot of things (which most of you already know about)

Fantasyland Expansion vs The Wizarding World of Harry Potter
My analysis of both additions coming to Orlando

This is something I've been wanting to do for quite some time now but have been putting it off. So now that I have some free time, I'll look at both the Fantasyland Expansion and The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Now before I get started, I'm writing this article on fact and opinion mixed in. I will be dividing up the analysis in categories (i.e. Attractions, the discuss that topic in both expansions). I will also be awarding points to FLE and the WWoHP to see which adds up to the most.

Attractions
A look at attractions coming from the FLE & WWoHP

Probably one of the most difficult and easiest subject to talk about. Both additions include one new major "E-Ticket" attraction: FLE has The Little Mermaid Dark Ride and WWoHP has the Forbidden Journey. Both will be highly immersive, fun, and unique.

Both expansions include a remodel of two classic rides. FLE will include major changes to Dumbo including an interactive queueless system, and the WWoHP will include a remodel of the Flying Unicorn, transforming it into the Flight of the Hippogriff. I'm considering these as equal while the changes may be different to each one. Dumbo will get a second spinner, theme change (focusing on the circus) and a queueless interactive system. While the Flying Unicorn will get new ride cars, a full size Hippogriff AA, and a theme change.

The second classic ride for FLE is Barnstormer and for the WWoHP it's Dueling Dragons. Both are roller coasters, both are receiving minimal changes. A name change and theme change to both, and that's about it.

So, as for attractions, it comes down to being equal.

Fantasyland Expansion: 1 point
Wizarding World of Harry Potter: 1 point

Theming
A look at the theming of the FLE & WWoHP

Theming is extremely important to many fans of both Disney Parks and Universal Parks. You want the area to feel very immersive as if you are really there. Both of them will do just that. The FLE (named Fantasy Forest) will be taking you into the worlds of Ariel, Belle, Cinderella, Pooh, Sleeping Beauty, Dumbo, and Pixie Hollow. The detail will be VERY high, from the walkways and rockwork to the buildings and M&Gs. While as for the WWoHP, it's going to feel like your inside the movie of Harry Potter. You'll see the Three Broomsticks, the Owlery, Ollivanders, and Hogwarts Castle. It will also contain very high amounts of detail. This is equal for me.

Dinning
A look at the dinner in the FLE & the WWoHP

Both of the expansions will include a major dinning experience. Inside of Beast's Castle, you'll dine among 3 different rooms (West Wing, Ballroom, Gallery) with lots of detail. The restaurant will be a counter service by day and transform to a sit down meal in the evening. The WWoHP will include the famous Three Broomsticks. It will include Britain inspired food and even include Butterbeer from the movie. Right next to the Three Broomsticks is Hog's Head Pub. That levels the playing field for dinning.

Interactivity
A look at the interactive elements in the FLE & the WWoHP

Interactivity has grown big time in the theme park industry, especially with newer technology. The WWoHP will feature a special wand quest where guests will go to Ollivander's to get their own wand and then continue on a quest throughout the WWoHP. As for the FLE, you're going to be taken into the worlds of the princesses where you'll talk and participate along side of Cinderella, Belle, and Sleeping Beauty. You'll also play in a three ring circus that includes interactive games at Dumbo. If recent rumors are true, the Pixie Hollow "attraction" will be very interactive. Whether it's a M&G, a show, or a ride, nobody knows yet. I'm going to call this one even until I know more information.

Audience
A look at the audience for the FLE & the WWoHP

Which one has a bigger audience? I'm going to go with WWoHP. Adults, teens (male and female), and even kids will all love this land. The FLE? Maybe parents, little kids (girls and boys), and Disney fans. Obviously WWoHP will attract a larger audience, if marketed correctly.

Wizarding World of Harry Potter: 2 points

The Conclusion

The grand totals are in, and they are quite interesting:

Fantasyland Expansion: 5 points
Wizarding World of Harry Potter: 6 points

So the playing field is almost even. There is only a difference in the audience size (WWoHP is larger). I hope TDO and WDI address this issue and try to work on something for teens/males. If they can accomplish that, then everything here is about 100% even. In all honesty, I'm looking forward to both.

Thanks for reading! :wave:

SirGoofy

Can't agree with you on the attractions part.

Forbidden Journey, much like Spider-man before it, will change the face of themed attractions. While LM will be great, there's no way it can be compared to HPatFJ.

Also, I'd call Dining equal, but that's just me.

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
Can't agree with you on the attractions part.

Forbidden Journey, much like Spider-man before it, will change the face of themed attractions. While LM will be great, there's no way it can be compared to HPatFJ.

How so? Please do tell. I don't know too much about the HP ride. I'm just looking at it as one major attraction for each. Until specific details come out, I don't plan on visiting IoA just because of that one ride, the entire land? Yes.

SirGoofy

How so? Please do tell. I don't know too much about the HP ride. I'm just looking at it as one major attraction for each. Until specific details come out, I don't plan on visiting IoA just because of that one ride, the entire land? Yes.

It will be a Kuka "robocoaster", which is a Kuka arm that moves along a track, giving it an almost unlimited range of motion. You will fly on a broom through Hogwarts and famous Harry Potter locations, and will encounter the basilisk, giants spiders, dementors, etc.

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
It will be a Kuka "robocoaster", which is a Kuka arm that moves along a track, giving it an almost unlimited range of motion. You will fly on a broom through Hogwarts and famous Harry Potter locations, and will encounter the basilisk, giants spiders, dementors, etc.

Whoah, nice. How exactly will you be on a broom stick is what I'm curious about. When you say Kuka arm, all I think of is Sum of all Thrills and the Kuka arm attraction at Legoland (Cali?). It does seem a bit more advanced for a ride, but I hope the show scenes will be unbelievable. Still it be actual show scenes or just video screens? (I believe that was mentioned on here once) I know TLM will have massive show scenes.

Kind of an odd question, will HPatFJ go upside down? I'm not a fan of that. lol

--As for dinning, while Three Broomsticks will be awesome and very well themed, so will Beast's Castle. The three rooms will very detailed and contain a lot of show elements, according to WDI during the Expo. I especially like how it will be counter service by day and sit down by evening, but I'm hoping that more show elements will be available for sit down, otherwise whats the point? Adding Gaston's Tavern, another well themed dinning option just put FLE over a little bit.

SirGoofy

Whoah, nice. How exactly will you be on a broom stick is what I'm curious about. When you say Kuka arm, all I think of is Sum of all Thrills and the Kuka arm attraction at Legoland (Cali?). It does seem a bit more advanced for a ride, but I hope the show scenes will be unbelievable. Still it be actual show scenes or just video screens? (I believe that was mentioned on here once) I know TLM will have massive show scenes.

Kind of an odd question, will HPatFJ go upside down? I'm not a fan of that. lol

I don't know how the ride vehicle will work! I wish I did, but I don't know!:lol:

From everything we've heard from our resident expert, the show scenes will blow you away, and it will be a mix of physical sets, screens, and AAs(including a very bid basillisk from what I've heard).

No, I doubt it will go upside down. I think they're trying to get as many people on this ride as possible.

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
I don't know how the ride vehicle will work! I wish I did, but I don't know!:lol:

From everything we've heard from our resident expert, the show scenes will blow you away, and it will be a mix of physical sets, screens, and AAs(including a very bid basillisk from what I've heard).

No, I doubt it will go upside down. I think they're trying to get as many people on this ride as possible.
Ah okay. Well I don't know anything either. Uni hasn't shared too much detail either...

Not very happy about going upside down. Thats why I skip out on most roller coasters. lol
Im excited for both!

I like Disney but I also like Universal, both for different reasons.

Same here. :)

SirGoofy

I missed the "I". I read it as "No doubt it will go upside down..." My bad :lol:

Now I'm a bit more excited! :D

:lol:

I got it!

My mom, sister, some of their friends, my friends, and I are actually making a special Universal only trip this summer just because of Harry Potter. We're so excited!:D

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
:lol:

I got it!

My mom, sister, some of their friends, my friends, and I are actually making a special Universal only trip this summer just because of Harry Potter. We're so excited!:D

Good thing we already have a trip planned in August for WDW and Universal! Any opening date announced yet?

SirGoofy

Good thing we already have a trip planned in August for WDW and Universal! Any opening date announced yet?

Early May with soft openings in late April, apparently they are trying to get it open for a Themed Attractions convention at that time for some big press.

_Scar

Dinging in Beast castle with Lumiere greeting me... priceless.

HPatFJ.... priceless.

HP will probably revolutionize themed rides- BUT it will probably have another height limit.... which pretty much means little kids aren't welcome

:/

Also, I'm hoping nothing gets delayed with Harry Potter... please before Summer! :/

Horizons1

Harry Potter will blow the doors off the Fantasyland expansion. There's much more to it, and A LOT more money being put into it. Honestly, it's hard to get excited about one new ride and a land of meet-n-greets.

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
The Wizarding World of Harry Potter will have two dining locations--the Three Broomsticks and the Hog's Head.
Hmm, I don't remember them talking about that. I'll have to go back and watch some of the videos.
Harry Potter will blow the doors off the Fantasyland expansion. There's much more to it, and A LOT more money being put into it. Honestly, it's hard to get excited about one new ride and a land of meet-n-greets.

That sounds like a sure fire opinion. When it comes down to it, the WWoHP will be more successful, but in a different way. The WWoHP targets a MUCH larger audience, which is extremely helpful, the FLE? Not so much. As I explained in my post, many aspects are nearly equal, but the most important one isn't. It's easy to get excited about one major ride, a unique dinning experience, and a well themed land, just as much as it is for WWoHP with one major ride, a special dinning experience, and an extremely well themed and immersive land.

Horizons1

That sounds like a sure fire opinion. When it comes down to it, the WWoHP will be more successful, but in a different way. The WWoHP targets a MUCH larger audience, which is extremely helpful, the FLE? Not so much. As I explained in my post, many aspects are nearly equal, but the most important one isn't. It's easy to get excited about one major ride, a unique dinning experience, and a well themed land, just as much as it is for WWoHP with one major ride, a special dinning experience, and an extremely well themed and immersive land.

It's not opinion, it's fact. We know that Universal is putting a lot more money into getting HP up and running than Disney will do with the FL expansion. Fantasyland is going to be most meet-n-greets. This was announced at D23, and was a big letdown. Sure, we'll get a Little Mermaid ride, but the technology for that ride will not be as groundbreaking as the technology to run the HP ride.

Maybe if I were a 6 or 7 year old little girl, I'd be more excited to go meet my favorite princesses, but that's not case. The FL expansion doesn't have that much that's appealing to draw people in. The whole thing should be rethought.

An expansion of FL is a terrific idea. Our FL feels so weak, and during the peak seasons becomes unbearable to walk through. Not to mention the fantasy-faire tent theming needs to hit the road. But the notion of "let's put in one new ride (technically not even new since it was originally solely going into DCA) and fill the rest of the space with meet and greets" is a terribly lazy and cheap solution. The expansion needs to go back to the drawing boards, and TDO needs to grow a pair and spend some cash.

And no, I'm not a Potter fan. I've only seen 2 or 3 of the movies, I've never read the books, and probably never will. I'm more excited for Potter because it has more to offer. It's not going to be cheap.

Exprcoofto

Original Poster
It's not opinion, it's fact. We know that Universal is putting a lot more money into getting HP up and running than Disney will do with the FL expansion. Fantasyland is going to be most meet-n-greets. This was announced at D23, and was a big letdown. Sure, we'll get a Little Mermaid ride, but the technology for that ride will not be as groundbreaking as the technology to run the HP ride.

Maybe if I were a 6 or 7 year old little girl, I'd be more excited to go meet my favorite princesses, but that's not case. The FL expansion doesn't have that much that's appealing to draw people in. The whole thing should be rethought.

An expansion of FL is a terrific idea. Our FL feels so weak, and during the peak seasons becomes unbearable to walk through. Not to mention the fantasy-faire tent theming needs to hit the road. But the notion of "let's put in one new ride (technically not even new since it was originally solely going into DCA) and fill the rest of the space with meet and greets" is a terribly lazy and cheap solution. The expansion needs to go back to the drawing boards, and TDO needs to grow a pair and spend some cash.

And no, I'm not a Potter fan. I've only seen 2 or 3 of the movies, I've never read the books, and probably never will. I'm more excited for Potter because it has more to offer. It's not going to be cheap.

Exactly, you're not a 6 or 7 year old girl. As I mentioned, the audience is what's going to kill the FLE. They really need to offer something more for males and adults, which I doubt will happen. M&G aside, it's still a unique experience and will help Fantasyland & MK as a whole.

I honestly think the WWoHP will help out Disney. People aren't going to fly from around the world to just go to Universal Studios Orlando for two or three days... they are going to stop by to see the Mouse. That may be one of the reasons Disney isn't spending a lot of $$$ and the land will include mostly M&Gs. I know someone will disagree with me here, but I've asked HP fans at my school if they would go to Uni to see the WWoHP, and sure enough, they said yes. I also asked if they would visit WDW while in Orlando, and once again, they said yes. While thats only a couple of people, there are many more out there. This will by far help Uni, but it will also have a chunk of people visiting WDW at the same time.

And you were right about Hog's Head. Guess I missed that. That puts the WWoHP ahead in my post.

Horizons1

Exactly, you're not a 6 or 7 year old girl. As I mentioned, the audience is what's going to kill the FLE. They really need to offer something more for males and adults, which I doubt will happen. M&G aside, it's still a unique experience and will help Fantasyland & MK as a whole.

I honestly think the WWoHP will help out Disney. People aren't going to fly from around the world to just go to Universal Studios Orlando for two or three days... they are going to stop by to see the Mouse. That may be one of the reasons Disney isn't spending a lot of $$$ and the land will include mostly M&Gs. I know someone will disagree with me here, but I've asked HP fans at my school if they would go to Uni to see the WWoHP, and sure enough, they said yes. I also asked if they would visit WDW while in Orlando, and once again, they said yes. While thats only a couple of people, there are many more out there. This will by far help Uni, but it will also have a chunk of people visiting WDW at the same time.

And you were right about Hog's Head. Guess I missed that. That puts the WWoHP ahead in my post.

Yes, it will help out Disney. That's just the science of Orlando.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom