Fantasyland Expansion Phase III: Escape From Tomorrow(land Speedway)

HanSoloDolo

In regards to speedway, I will say it is more popular than a lot of people think. Kids like to drive and It has the nostalgia factor for the parents.

NelleBelle

They need to put inn electric cars so they can get rid of the noise and other pollutants—bringing the ride into this century! Tethered it after it Lighting McQueen and his pals if you have to have an IP tie-in. But kids really do love driving those things and we have some good pics of ours in them. Just update the thing!!!

JustAFan

Given that Tomorrowland Speedway is not the most innovative or 'Disney' attraction and can be found in some form at nearly every other theme park, amusement park, carnival, county fair around the country, I still like it. My kids like it. Thousands of others like it. It's much more popular than many other attractions. Why the hate for this ride? Can it be updated? Sure. Does it need to be ripped out? No!

Also, how would Princess & The Frog fit in Tomorrowland? I don't see that.

KimAnnFran

Honestly, and this may be unpopular, but I always wondered how they thought Uncle Remus' story would actually continue to be accepted, since the movie is like literally banned from being able to be shown various places. I love the ride, and accepted the theming as a throwback to the way things were conceived in the past, but it doesn't surprise me they are considering removing/revamping, and if they do, they do. They change a LOT of things we love and adore, and everyone just adjusts.....

Walt Disney1955

It doesn’t need to be cutting edge. It just needs to actually reflect Tomorrowland and not relfect some old picture of a car ride I saw in a magazine 40 years ago and shocked that it’s still around. I literally just think of NASCAR when I see this attraction as I have no idea how this ride is still around beside nostalgia. It’s probably the only ride you can literally drop in Six Flags with no problem. Actually some CF & Sixflags parks have better scenic routes than the Speedway. Disneyland’s version is so gorgeous I still drive it time-to-time even though the ride isn’t very exciting.

Hey I am all for them making it more like the Autopia. Why they didn't do this with the blessing of space back in 1971 is beyond me. They could have actually made it better than the Autopia if they wanted to. So I'll say this, it takes up too much space for the "bang for buck" that you get, but it doesn't have to be that way. It can be more scenic like you said and there is no reason why they can't do it like this. Cedar Point has bridges you go under and so does Darien Lake. These are nice parks, but Disney is supposed to be top notch quality and it usually is but not in this case.

Walt Disney1955

Honestly, and this may be unpopular, but I always wondered how they thought Uncle Remus' story would actually continue to be accepted, since the movie is like literally banned from being able to be shown various places. I love the ride, and accepted the theming as a throwback to the way things were conceived in the past, but it doesn't surprise me they are considering removing/revamping, and if they do, they do. They change a LOT of things we love and adore, and everyone just adjusts.....

I highly doubt they are thinking of changing it because of some fringe petition. It is similar to the Beatles' song "Penny Lane". You may have heard this has been under attack by now. The way these things work is that it is like throwing something against a wall and then seeing what sticks. Once they realize it won't stick the mob goes on to the next thing. The best ride in the park (arguably) does not need a change. The movie is a great movie, I never got why people didn't like the movie for what it was, rather than what they thought the movie should have been about. It is a nice story, what do people expect from a kids' movie?

But either way it needs no changing. The 2nd most popular Disney song of all-time came from that movie and is on that ride.

cookiee_munster

Aquatopia from DisneySea would be a fitting replacement. it's kind of a water ride, I guess it wouldn't take much to add some proper splash elements that get you wet. Technically you drive around (but not actually drive it yourself) and its quiet and it doesn't stink. win win! :p

tl77

I think they should re-theme The Diamond Horseshoe to Tiana's Palace. The interior already looks very similar to the movie, and it would fit well between Liberty Square and Frontierland, plus if they ever permanently park the river boat they should bring back the Tiana show that was on the riverboat back in the day.

They should definitely keep the speedway, but move it to where the old Tomorrowland Theater used to be, which it's currently an employee parking lot, the wall Buzz Light years meets in front of was originally the entrance to the theater. I you entered the Speedway there and extended the speedway track under the train track and outside the berm, they could make it as long as it was in the 70's and 80's, and not only would the noise and smell of it be out of the way, but it wouldn't be constantly getting "shortened" to make room for other attractions.

and on the Speedway's current spot they should have some kind of Stitch dark ride/mini coaster, I'm not a huge Stitch fan myself but I think the character is popular enough to anchor some type of ride, and MK could always use more dark rides

Brer Panther

They should definitely keep the speedway, but move it to where the old Tomorrowland Theater used to be, which it's currently an employee parking lot, the wall Buzz Light years meets in front of was originally the entrance to the theater. I you entered the Speedway there and extended the speedway track under the train track and outside the berm, they could make it as long as it was in the 70's and 80's, and not only would the noise and smell of it be out of the way, but it wouldn't be constantly getting "shortened" to make room for other attractions.
That's a pretty good idea. It'd be a win-win!

Kate F

I love the ride, and accepted the theming as a throwback to the way things were conceived in the past, but it doesn't surprise me they are considering removing/revamping, and if they do, they do.
Out of the many times I’ve been on Splash Mountain, not once have I thought about it as a “throwback to the way things were conceived in the past.” I’ve just seen as a well-themed attraction that puts rarer characters into the spotlight. Idk, that’s just me though.

I just find it impressive how these things even cross people’s minds.

Twirlnhurl

When the Tron coaster was announced, I thought it would be cool if the speedway was realigned to have a station by Tron, and had the cars updated to be electric. It could be a Tron Lightcycle Jr type of experience.

But I agree that it is still a pretty inefficient use of prime real estate.

JIMINYCR

Out of the many times I’ve been on Splash Mountain, not once have I thought about it as a “throwback to the way things were conceived in the past.” I’ve just seen as a well-themed attraction that puts rarer characters into the spotlight. Idk, that’s just me though.

I just find it impressive how these things even cross people’s minds.
Similar to how when Ive gone shopping over the last 50+ years of my life, its never crossed my mind that the pancake syrup, the rice, the cereal, the butter or any other product on the shelf was responsible for the racial harm they are suggesting comes from the branding. It's simply the unruly, loud mobs voices trying to get companies to bend to more and more of their demands. None of these things will help or change society for the better or aid their cause.

NickMaio

Replace them with battery powered motors and re-theme the cars to look like Tron Light Cycles....re-theme the track. Boom Tron for little ones.

N2dru

I like the PaTF concept but not in that location. I mentioned in another thread maybe add an Alice in Wonderland attraction where the Cheshire Cafe is now. Who wouldn't love riding a caterpillar thru that area. Have the ride above and around Winnie the Pooh like at DL. Thus creating a mini England area and adding a much needed dark ride to FL rooster. Then maybe adding an actual moving Casey Jr. that explores the Storybook Circus area. I have always said Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway would have made a better attraction in Fantasyland Circus then DHS...but I digress.

JIMINYCR

I'm not a fan of the speedway personally. We probably have ridden it twice in all our trips. If I was selfish, I'd say trash it and move something else in there. But I do think overall theres not enough attractions for families with the younger kids and because of its popularity and usage it might be worthy of a place. Reworking the site and updating its works would improve its appearance and maybe get some detractors on board.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom