Fantasmic! 2.0 Rumors, Speculation, Announcments

vancee

One thing that bothers me is how only Mickey has a articulated head in Soundsational and in the Red Trolly News Boys (Minnie doesn't, even though she's in for a few seconds or whatever). All characters should have it, even if they don't speak.

nevol

I always saw that as Mickey conducting the fountains like an orchestra.

anyway, I feel like this version would be perfect for WDW, it's big and bombastic enough to warrant a set up like the Hollywood Hills Amphitheater. For Disneyland though I prefer the more intimate, stripped down previous version.

Since disneyland is limited in the level of spectacle they can perform with their castle shows since the castle is so small, and they so eagerly want to include new / contemporary entertainment, they have to give us the contempo brand rave on the ROA. I'm fine with it. We still get a nostalgic firework show on the castle and most if not all other disney parks only have one nighttime spectacular.

nevol

I saw a side-by-side vid last night of the old and new show:
they cut some script from the "welcome to fantasmic" but even with the actual show beginning earlier, the intro sequence runs longer. The lotus flower-kaa-elephants scene that I so adored in 1.0 is much shorter than the new sequence they've included because now they have lion king music they've shoehorned in. By the time we get to the Columbia in the new show, it was over in the old show. The princess sequence runs longer, and I miss having the evil queen summon the magic mirror. I feel like this might have just been left on the editing room floor once somebody in entertainment proposed the recycling of the aladdin carpet. The nightmare sequence is shorter and tighter. No complaints there beyond the absence of the queen in the very beginning. Seeing them side by side, the show is more stable end to end, which some will think is a good thing and some will have a problem with. Overall, more action, and surprisingly, the scenes that feel shorter are oftentimes longer.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I can't believe they removed the queens transformation and the magic mirror.

And removed some costumes from Mickey? Mickey can't use a sword anymore?

Does anyone think the pirates scene is better than the pan sequence?

Last time around they did a great job of enhancing the technology of the show while almost every change was a positive one.

This time? Meh! I can accept the alladin changes... but the show isn't as strong as before imo.

I'd like to see the projections in person to really see how much they add verse busy-ness. It's hard to tell in the fuzzy videos so far

GiveMeTheMusic

I can't believe they removed the queens transformation and the magic mirror.

I think the thought was that without Snow White directly preceding her appearance, it would make more sense to cut to the chase. I would definitely have preferred they kept the Queen, myself.

And removed some costumes from Mickey? Mickey can't use a sword anymore?

Just the brave little tailor costume. I don't think it was done to remove the sword, just an excuse to make the really cool stage picture of Mickey shooting magic at the dragon to defeat it, like this overused promo image showed for the past 25 years:

fantasmic_primary1.jpg

Does anyone think the pirates scene is better than the pan sequence?

Not really. Overwhelming negativity on this change from everyone I've talked to.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the thought was that without Snow White directly preceding her appearance, it would make more sense to cut to the chase. I would definitely have preferred they kept the Queen, myself.

I feel like it loses story and continuity in the new form. Feels more like WoC collage instead of progression...

Just the brave little tailor costume. I don't think it was done to remove the sword, just an excuse to make the really cool stage picture of Mickey shooting magic at the dragon to defeat it, like this overused promo image showed for the past 25 years:

I feel like... 'when everyone is sorcerer Mickey... no one is sorcerer mickey'. Ya know?

George Lucas on a Bench

The POTC scene is basically a terrible change, not necessarily a terrible scene. I can appreciate them basing it on the original movie and not any of the sequels (apparently?), but the Peter Pan scene was one of the coolest things I've ever seen and this is coming from someone who doesn't love Fantasmic because of how much it disrupts the atmosphere of NOS. It was extremely charming with the cannon fire and croc following the ship, Pan egging Hook on etc.

Why is there a giant bush wall when the Mark Twain leaves the dock?

EPICOT

Anyone else think the live action Barbosa does not fit at all with the flow of the show, which is all animation? The POTC scene by itself is a good scene, but it just doesn't jive very well with the whole show IMO.

nevol

Anyone else think the live action Barbosa does not fit at all with the flow of the show, which is all animation? The POTC scene by itself is a good scene, but it just doesn't jive very well with the whole show IMO.

I thought it was weird to see his face, but the ship and all else is fine, as it had live actors on it already. People seemed really excited when they saw his face though, as if they couldn't put two and two together to know it was pirates. maybe the excitement would just be delayed a bit until the score and action sequence on the columbia pick up if the kept his dialogue but cut the video projection for a happy medium.

SuddenStorm

Not really. Overwhelming negativity on this change from everyone I've talked to.

That does seem to be the consensus online. I even heard it got booed during yesterdays performance, but haven't seen any videos to confirm that. If they were to revert back to the original Pan sequence, with all of the new effects, it would greatly improve the quality of the new show. Any word if they'll consider changing it?

SuddenStorm

I feel like... 'when everyone is sorcerer Mickey... no one is sorcerer mickey'. Ya know?

Yup! and having Sorcerer Mickey on top of the Tavern during the Mirror segment also sort of takes away some of the effect of the epic finale. I love the new effects this show has to offer, but not every scene needed to use every possible light, fireork, or laser effect. The should have saved somethingfor the finale.

I even heard it got booed during yesterdays performance, but haven't seen any videos to confirm that.

Yeah that seems REALLY unlikely to me. I was there for the first two shows (Saturday at 9 and 10:30) and there was definitely no booing than... actually quite a few cheers and excited reactions. And that was predominately a crowd of D23 attendees likely to have strong opinions and attachments to the show!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom