Fantasmic! 2.0 Rumors, Speculation, Announcments

D

Deleted member 107043

That being said If the new thing isn't as good as the old thing, I will take the old thing any day.

I don't disagree with this in theory, but in my real life experience it seems that a sizable number of people are so emotionally attached to the old stuff that they almost always reject the new stuff as inferior, and that's a problem. If Disney announced right now that Lincoln was being permanently removed form Disneyland, and promised that its replacement would be bigger, better, and more popular, the online outrage from fans would probably break the internet.

SuddenStorm

I don't disagree with this in theory, but in my real life experience it seems that a sizable number of people are so emotionally attached to the old stuff that they almost always reject the new stuff as inferior, and that's a problem. If Disney announced right now that Lincoln was being permanently removed form Disneyland, and promised that its replacement would be bigger, better, and more popular, the online outrage from fans would probably break the internet.

Comparing Lincoln- which repeatedly plays to an empty house- to Fantasmic! which fills up every show is difficult. Sure, everyone would be sad to lose something Walt did, but if the hypothetical new version was a bona fide improvement, I think the fans would get over it.

In order for the new version of Fantasmic to be successful, it's gonna have to make everyone who's been watching the original since '92 be as blown away as they were their first time seeing it. Every time I see Fantasmic! it causes an emotional response that's a bit nostalgic, amazement, magic, and euphoric- this show is gonna have to cause the same response repeatedly like the original did in order for me to deem it a "success" or an improvement. Fantasmic has so much going on, all the time, it's a lot to take in- which also means Disney has a lot to do in order to make this new show an improvement.

Hopefully 6 months from now we're all gonna be on here talking about how this new show is the greatest night time show Disney has ever done.

SuddenStorm

A thought I just had- so far a majority of the public doesn't know that Fantasmic is coming back with changes. I think it'll be interesting to see how the public reacts to the reveal. I could be overwhelmingly negative like the response to ToT was, or it could be overwhelmingly positive like the reception to Cars Land was.

D

Deleted member 107043

Sure, everyone would be sad to lose something Walt did, but if the hypothetical new version was a bona fide improvement, I think the fans would get over it.

Not before an online petition was posted somewhere, a flood of blog and chatroom posts about how Iger was destroying Walt's legacy, and lots of general teeth gnashing. The point I'm making here is that, generally speaking, there is a predictable negative kneejerk reaction driven by nostalgia whenever there's a change made to a classic feature at DL.

SuddenStorm

Not before an online petition was posted somewhere, a flood of blog and chatroom posts about how Iger was destroying Walt's legacy, and lots of general teeth gnashing. The point I'm making here is that, generally speaking, there is a predictable negative kneejerk reaction driven by nostalgia whenever there's a change made to a classic feature at DL.

That kneejerk reaction is a sign of Disney's overwhelming quality and its ability to endure through generations. Sure, it can be a negative and hold back change, but it also (hopefully) limits what Disney is willing to change at once, helping the parks slowly evolve over time to remain relevant.

yookeroo

That kneejerk reaction is a sign of Disney's overwhelming quality and its ability to endure through generations. Sure, it can be a negative and hold back change, but it also (hopefully) limits what Disney is willing to change at once, helping the parks slowly evolve over time to remain relevant.

Maybe. But I tend to think Disney message board fans way overrate their impact on decisions Disney makes. I may go to far in the opposite direction, but I really think (hope?) the Disney "fan community" isn't having that much of an effect.

VJ

A thought I just had- so far a majority of the public doesn't know that Fantasmic is coming back with changes. I think it'll be interesting to see how the public reacts to the reveal. I could be overwhelmingly negative like the response to ToT was, or it could be overwhelmingly positive like the reception to Cars Land was.
Disney hasn't even announced Fantasmic will be receiving changes at all besides hinting at "new magic" and enhancements. As far as the general public probably knows, the original show is coming back.

flynnibus

Premium Member

The power of nostalgia is true... but your blanket application is weak. F! In particular works because it was so freaking good. Msep is the same. It's why kids with no attachment also get hooked on it.

People can accept change when they like the result (F! Dragon for instance). Don't discount all disgust for a change purely due to nostalgia- some truly do suck (Tarzan in the treehouse for instance)

PiratesMansion

I am cautiously optimistic. I think the show, while spectacular as a whole, also has a lot of moments that come off to me as filler. Most of the screen action, for instance. I'm not convinced that most of that needs to stay the same, or really stay at all. I hate Peter Pan and hate the Pirates movies so that portion is basically the same as far as I'm concerned. If they keep the opening and keep the Princesses to the end roughly the same, and find a way to make the rest of it better, I'm satisfied.

SuddenStorm

The power of nostalgia is true... but your blanket application is weak. F! In particular works because it was so freaking good. Msep is the same. It's why kids with no attachment also get hooked on it.

When I was in elementary school, I hated Fantasmic. Having to sit for an hour to see it, not riding rides, to cool to like stuff with "princesses" etc.

I took a 6 year hiatus from Disney, went back my sophomore year of high school, saw the show, and was hooked. I consider it to be the perfect example of Disney doing everything right.

SuddenStorm

I am cautiously optimistic. I think the show, while spectacular as a whole, also has a lot of moments that come off to me as filler. Most of the screen action, for instance. I'm not convinced that most of that needs to stay the same, or really stay at all.

The screens are a necessary evil- they obscure the stage for set changes and to allow the performers to set up. So in a sense, those segments really are "filler". I just hope that Disney doesn't try to save money and increase the amount of "screen time" to avoid having to pay as many actors (like they did with WoC)

Figments Friend

I agree.
Hoping the 'screen time' is not increased.
This is supposed to be a 'LIVE nighttime spectacular' and not yet another projection based 'Disney video clip show'.
If Guests want to see that, they can head over to DCA and catch a showing a 'World of Color'.

'Fantasmic' needs to keep the element of live performers front and center in it's production as it always had.
This is part of the reason why the Show is so entertaining and have has held audience's attention and favor all these years.

I'm actually hoping for more of that...live segments.
May not be possible within the structure and timing of the Show, but if not then at least have a similar ratio to live segments vs. water 'screens' in the new edition as was present in the 'old' addition.
It would be a BIG disappointment if the balance skewed more towards video segments vs. live performance segments.

-

180º

People can accept change when they like the result (F! Dragon for instance). Don't discount all disgust for a change purely due to nostalgia- some truly do suck (Tarzan in the treehouse for instance)
Totally agree. I'm ambivalent toward Fantasmic! changes so far, but this talk recently of "needing to change things up so fans don't get attached" is so simplistic and disregards the integrity of the attraction. IMO, Frozen has aged less gracefully in a year than Aladdin did in ten years.

brb1006

Totally agree. I'm ambivalent toward Fantasmic! changes so far, but this talk recently of "needing to change things up so fans don't get attached" is so simplistic and disregards the integrity of the attraction. IMO, Frozen has aged less gracefully in a year than Aladdin did in ten years.
When will they play something else from Frozen that isn't "Let It Go" for once at any Disney Show at the parks. Come on it's not 2014 anymore where that song was literally everywhere.

Figments Friend

It would be bold, daring, and perhaps even a great creative challange to NOT include a 'Frozen' segment in the new edition of 'Fantasmic!'
Personally, I think it is covered pretty well elsewhere in Entertainment and does not need to be present in this particular staging at all.
With the vast vault full of characters and beloved films, let's see something else besides the same five or six IP representatives for once lately.
;)

I dare you...TDA.
I double dare you to 'think outside the marketing box' and leave 'Frozen' OUT of the new 'Fantasmic!' production.
Just do it, thank you.

:cool:

-

Phroobar

I
I dare you...TDA.
I double dare you to 'think outside the marketing box' and leave 'Frozen' OUT of the new 'Fantasmic!' production.
Just do it, thank you.
-
Be careful what you dare them to do. If they leave Frozen out, they will just stick Star Wars in or maybe even the Avengers.

Figments Friend

Be careful what you dare them to do. If they leave Frozen out, they will just stick Star Wars in or maybe even the Avengers.

Noooooooo!

( insert Darth Vader screaming moment here )

:in pain:

Gosh DARN it, TDA!
I challenged you to 'think outside of the marketing box'...!!
Can they even produce a new nighttime spectacle today that does not include the 'bought IPs' or 'Frozen'...?

Come on Entertainment, I know you can do better then that.
Tell the Marketing folks to kiss off for once when it comes to 'allowed' Show content.
Don't turn the new edition of 'Fantasmic!' into yet another 'marketing video clip show of contemporary products' being passed off as a 'nighttime spectacular'.
Ya know, there is a reason why the original show ran for 20+ years and felt 'timeless'.....
;)

-

Last edited:

TP2000

It would be bold, daring, and perhaps even a great creative challange to NOT include a 'Frozen' segment in the new edition of 'Fantasmic!'
Personally, I think it is covered pretty well elsewhere in Entertainment and does not need to be present in this particular staging at all.

Agreed. But it would be even bolder, more daring, and a greater creative challenge to include something in the new edition of Fantasmic! that was NOT Little Mermaid or Beauty & The Beast.

That lil' mermaid has a major float segment in both Disneyland parades this summer; Paint The Night and Mickey's Soundsational. Do you think they'll have Little Mermaid in this parade?!? Is the Pope a Catholic?!?
Soundsational6-052611-AVP.jpg

But that was just the 3 o'clock daytime version. Return to Main Street after dark and see her again in an entirely different float all lit up. It's Little Mermaid! You MUST love her! Anaheim has zoning requirements about this!
attachment.php

She also has a major D Ticket Omnimover attraction over in DCA. Plus a cameo swim-on appearance in It's A Small World. Again, there have to be zoning requirements in Anaheim that mandate a Little Mermaid reference within so many square feet. Either that, or Disney's creative folks are phoning it in for every major entertainment offering.

Beauty & The Beast comes in as a close second for tired and predictable. Although there is no BatB attraction, the yellow dress and the hairy guy get major floats in both Disneyland parades, a dedicated stage show every day in Fantasy Faire, and now a themed restaurant in Fantasyland.

There are at least a dozen other Princesses that have been popular in the last 25 years since Fantasmic! debuted, and the girls born in the early 1980's who grew up with Little Mermaid and Beauty & The Beast are now middle aged and they have 7 year old girls about to outgrow the Princess phase. Fantasmic! desperately needs to update the roster of Characters it uses, instead of just being locked in time at an executive planning session held back in 1991.

They should start by kicking that tired old mermaid and the flouncy one in the yellow dress back to the break room, and get some fresher and newer gals out there.

Figments Friend

TP, I totally agree.
Our minds think alike as I was going to mention 'Mermaid' in my previous post.
It is another excellent example of one of Disney's 'overused' IPs.

Considering the treasure trove of multiple characters, 'worlds', films, and tv shows over the many years the Studio has been producing product, it boggles the mind sometimes to see them constantly focusing on ONLY five to six properties.
Not only that, but those same five or six properties use the SAME 'singular signature song' when most of the films highlighted had several.
'Mermaid' comes to mind here yet again, with 'Under The Sea' being the culprit.

There have been well over 60 animated films made alone sitting in Disney's vault, and many live action efforts as well.
Why not drag some of the oldies but goodies out and dust them off to liven the selection up a bit?
In a watery production like 'Fantasmic!', instead of rolling out 'Mermaid' yet again ( and 'Under The Sea'...zzz..) how about a segment related to '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea'..?
The Nautilus imagery is awesome and the film even had a catchy 'signature tune'.....'Whale Of A Tale'!
:)

An example I can think of how this was done recently....reaching back into the vault......is during 'Mickey & the Magical Map'
Regardless of how one might feel about the Show, you cannot deny the excitement expressed by the audience the moment Pocahontas steps out on stage and starts singing.
I've seen the Show several times in person at this point, and every time when she appears there was a big reaction from the audience.
Why?
My guess would be because it is unexpected and a character that has been largely absent from the Park scene for some time.
The Guest reaction to her is great however..they make it audiably clear they are very happy to see her onstage.

I think it has a lot to do with her being a surprise....instead of 'Frozen' or 'Beauty & the Beast' yet again, here we get a taste of a film kind of 'forgotten' for the most part by Disney now.
It was obviously not 'forgotten' by the Guests who saw that staged Show however...they seem to love seeing her again.

Bringing something like 'Pocahontas' back into the spotlight was a nice touch.
I wish they would do more of this.
I'm sure we can all think of underused films or characters we would like to see utilized in Disney's Theme Park setting.
-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom