Fan Deflects Bat at WWoS Champion Stadium

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
160307-flying-pirates-baseball-bat-save-mdl-1232p_367647d5193b82da0fabe0deb88df089.nbcnews-fp-1200-800.jpg

Many news outlets are publishing this photo from Christopher Horner of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, this was from yesterday's Braves-Pirates game.

The issue at hand is that MLB has recommended to all stadiums that they extend protective nettings after a nasty accident in Boston last season where a fan was severely injured.

Clearly, Disney has not extended the protective netting. This is a giant liability issue waiting to happen. While yes, the fan in the second row should have been paying attention to the game, Disney needs to follow MLB safety recommendations.

The fan was uninjured.

ABQ

Clearly, Disney has not extended the protective netting. This is a giant liability issue waiting to happen.
Dave, though I agree with you that more protection is warranted, and having been lucky enough to sit down low a few times at Fenway, where you are far closer to the danger zone than most other fields, has anything changed in the past years to the design of the Braves spring training facility? I don't recall anyone claiming it was a giant liability issue in 2001 or 2010 or last year. Have any of the other spring training facilities been upgraded in protection? Heck, an user at the Sox field in Fort Myers got hit badly by a foul ball last week, though I'm unaware of the trajectory of the ball.

DisneyFans4Life

Can we also take a moment on some of the other's stilled reactions...Especially Mr Incredible and the two people to the left of him...:hilarious:
454c6_BatBoy030616.jpg
I don't know what you guys think...but the black guy at the top left looks like he's getting ready to sip on a Capri-Sun pouch from the lady in front of him and the girl sitting next to him looks like she's constipated.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Dave, though I agree with you that more protection is warranted, and having been lucky enough to sit down low a few times at Fenway, where you are far closer to the danger zone than most other fields, has anything changed in the past years to the design of the Braves spring training facility? I don't recall anyone claiming it was a giant liability issue in 2001 or 2010 or last year. Have any of the other spring training facilities been upgraded in protection? Heck, an user at the Sox field in Fort Myers got hit badly by a foul ball last week, though I'm unaware of the trajectory of the ball.

Yes, Brighthouse Networks Field in Clearwater has.

gsimpson

Life has risks. What will it take to be "reasonable" when it comes to safety. Everyone being placed inside one of those huge running bubbles?

Dartha Stewart

Coolest. Dad. Ever. No joke, that kid has bragging rights at school for life.
"Oh really? Your dad's an attorney? Well my dad one-handed-judo-chopped a flying piece of lumber & saved my face on national television, all while keeping his focus on the game."

Especially Mr Incredible and the two people to the left of him...:hilarious:
Yeah, props to that guy for effort. He may not have made contact with the wooden aggressor like Superdad, but he certainly gets credit for at least preparing to go all Jackie Chan on if needed.

riess424

Can we also take a moment on some of the other's stilled reactions...Especially Mr Incredible and the two people to the left of him...:hilarious:
454c6_BatBoy030616.jpg
Good thing the guy who stopped the bat is jacked. The guys forearms are twice as large as a bat!!!

Sitting two rows up along the first/third base side puts you at risk. If you are willing to put yourself at risk then you should be prepared for this. That being said I think its good some stadiums are extending the netting, but when will it end there? What happens when someone hits a home run and it hits someone in the head. They can only make it so safe.

StarWarsGirl

A. That kid is too young to have a cell phone

B. It's common sense to be alert at all times during a baseball game, regardless if there's protective netting or not.

I'm sure if the kid was hit, there would be lawsuits up the *** because of it.
I agree. I see so many people on their phones during Orioles games. Um...you're here to watch the game, not your phone. Also need to be alert because you have no idea when a ball or bat may leave the playing field.

That being said, extending the netting is not a bad idea.

ItlngrlBella

The issue at hand is that MLB has recommended to all stadiums that they extend protective nettings after a nasty accident in Boston last season where a fan was severely injured.

Clearly, Disney has not extended the protective netting. This is a giant liability issue waiting to happen. While yes, the fan in the second row should have been paying attention to the game, Disney needs to follow MLB safety recommendations.

The fan was uninjured.

Damn cutbacks and Shanghai.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom