Trip Report Family Trip For the Books- and a call to action

I’m doing this trip report as a follow-up to the pre-trip report- “the worlds on fire, let’s go to Disney World”.

I’ll do a by day break down, however, I wanted to start with a cheat sheet overview-

Wins: Pandora
Toy Story Land
Skyliner
CMs for restaurants, transportation, hotels
Rode Soarin with one of my favorite musicians!
Met Kyle Pallo!
Rope Drop- Animal Kingdom/ Hollywood

Losses:
Memory Maker
Hollywood Studios CMs
Rope Drop- Magic Kingdom

Pushes:
Galaxy’s Edge
Rope Drop- Epcot

BuckyMom

Great descriptions of everything so far. Pandora is beautiful, especially at night (as a child of the 80's I can appreciate fiber optic lights too), but Galaxy's Edge is the bomb. Sorry, I'll fight you on that one. Love your humor.

jharvey

Original Poster
Great descriptions of everything so far. Pandora is beautiful, especially at night (as a child of the 80's I can appreciate fiber optic lights too), but Galaxy's Edge is the bomb. Sorry, I'll fight you on that one. Love your humor.
Thanks, but... I’ll spoil our next fight for you. I love Star Wars. Empire came out the year I was born. I was 3 when Jedi came out. I went to the movies for the re-releases. I went to a midnight showing for Phantom Menace in 1999 and actually love two of the three prequels. I hold Star Wars as something nearly sacred, as it’s been a constant in my life... But of the three new to me lands for this trip, I’d put Pandora and Toy Story Land ahead of GE. It may be that I had so much emotional investment in it that I built it up too much. Don’t get me wrong, I liked it.

As you may have noticed I fall back into a lazy -/10 format when reviewing something. I’d give GE, at best, a 7/10. Not bad. I’d sell off a non-vital body part for a Ronto Wrap. But ride vs ride, I’d take Flight of Passage over Rise of the Resistance any day of the week- hard stop. It’s a blow out. As for Smugglers, I liked it way more than I think a lot of people do. I worship at the altar of Han Solo, I geeked out. But, by way of comparison, it’s the obvious second best ride in its land. Put up against the second best in Pandora, smugglers wins. But put up against the second best in Toy Story Land, I think TSMM eats its lunch.

cgersic

I was lucky enough to visit Animal Kingdom right after they reopened, during the middle of the week. I did Flight of Passage 4 times in a row (this is before they let people start skipping the queue, so I got a good workout as well), walked over to Navi River and did it twice in a row (my first time since I never wanted to wait for it), walked back to Flight and rode another 2 times. Each time they let me pick a different level and the experience is very different on each one. I'm sooo lucky because I completely agree it's the best ride right now. I no longer hang on and just let me arms go out a little so it feels like you're actually flying. :joyfull:

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 3: Hollywood Studios (May 31,2021)
Park Hours: 9am-8pm

We made it to the skyliner by 6:15am and were maybe 10th in line. By 6:45am, my wife had the site up, to try for boarding passes and I had the atomic clock up on mine. At 7am, we were ready to go and got boarding group 20. We got onto the skyliner, I believe, at approximately 7:30am. Made it to CBR where we connected. We were at Hollywood by 7:50am(ish). We were through the tapstile by 8:15am.

This was our first time in Hollywood since January 2017. So, Toy Story Land, GE, Mickey/Minnie were all new to us. Previous favorites at this park were TSMM, Great Movie Ride, and Indiana Jones SS, in that order.

I conquered my cowardice and we rode Slinky at rope drop. It was... great. We did lunch at ABC Commissary, for which we have a soft spot. We took a mid-day break, from 2:30pm-6pm with an early dinner at everything pop food court. The following was what we rode, and the order we rode-
Day 3
Slinky
TSMM
Rise of the resistance
Star tours
Mickey/Minnie
Muppets
Smugglers
Toy story midway mania
Slinky (got in line at park close and rode again- look at the brave boy)

Wins: Toy Story Land (Slinky especially)
- Skyliner service

Loss: the queue for Mickey/Minnie was my Vietnam.

Push: Galaxy’s Edge was good, not great. Pleasantly surprised by Smugglers Run. Definitely inferior to Rise of the Resistance, but better than I thought.

overall, first Hollywood day of the trip was a solid 7.5/10

9676BC7F-ED0D-409D-B6E7-F86A9D56805F.jpeg

294FBEA1-EAEA-45BF-A121-EE0D590722BA.jpeg
47C604F0-CBE6-4EF3-8875-CC6932FC6629.jpeg
650DB442-3C57-4DAA-8C6C-6F8310F5442D.jpeg
7A028885-4620-4DC0-9C95-DAA37FBE8950.jpeg
257DB67B-3327-4EB9-8CED-90D38DBEBADA.jpeg

Last edited:

littleroo

I completely agree with you on Star Wars! I was born in 1975 and am a huge fan. My 5 year old will tell you that Chewbacca is my boyfriend! I have not gotten to this part of my trip report yet..
but I am a much bigger fan of Smugglers Run and thought ROTR was great but not life altering. Flying the Millennium Falcon? ACES!!

jharvey

Original Poster
Shoot- day 3 addition-

We met Kyle Pallo. We only discovered his YouTube channel about three months ago. Dude’s posts on rope drop literally made our trip as easy as it turned out to be. Very nice and gracious guy- follow his channel if you haven’t already.

Last edited:

jharvey

Original Poster
I completely agree with you on Star Wars! I was born in 1975 and am a huge fan. My 5 year old will tell you that Chewbacca is my boyfriend! I have not gotten to this part of my trip report yet..
but I am a much bigger fan of Smugglers Run and thought ROTR was great but not life altering. Flying the Millennium Falcon? ACES!!
Right?!? I almost cried when I saw the Falcon and again when I got into the interior. Very cool.

jharvey

Original Poster
I nearly forgot about some actual good catches by memory maker-

first up is Tower. I noped the heck out. I’ve ridden this twice, but I am a confirmed coward, so I skipped it this time. My 32 year old brother second from the right on the second row, looking like Bob Dole circa 1996, is next to my son. My brother said this was the scariest ride of the trip and he rode everything except Rock n rollercoaster.

38D44314-F6CF-4874-B8F8-B39B4AFA69AB.jpeg

jharvey

Original Poster
Second is a call back to day 2, animal kingdom.
From left to right... 13 year old, 9 year old, 42 year old, 41 year old, 16 year old, 32 year old. The amazing photopass CM was great. After taking several photos, he said, now just the sisters. And my daughters got some amazing pictures. And then, as if wanting to destroy me on a molecular level, he said, “now just the brothers”. Man, you think you are doing good until someone thinks your grown a— brother is your son.

41C2D7E2-A9D1-45D4-AE47-9ECF61A79B7E.jpeg

jharvey

Original Poster
Random thought for those going anytime soon. Buses are a little strange, especially when counting on rope drop. So, gone are the days of EMH. Instead, they let resort guests in up to an hour early- entry times vary by park and date. You can get a lot done during this opening window- except at Magic Kingdom where they are apparently going with the sucks to be you mindset.

if you want to rope drop, and are taking the bus, I cannot stress this enough. Get to the bus stop at least 90 minutes before the listed park opening. You will be better served getting there closer to two hours early. I felt prepared for that. The bus loading was not something I was expecting. As you approach, you will be asked how many people in your party. The driver will consult a layout diagram and assign you seat numbers. Dividers are still there.

The good part is we are gone from the days of being wedged into the buses. Bad news is, if you are not there early enough, expect a wait. That is our reality, we are having to rope drop buses now.

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 4: Magic Kingdom (June 1, 2021)
Park Hours: 8am-9pm

This portion could be titled, “The Day Josh Became a Big Boy”.

Prior to this trip, I avoided typical thrill rides. My only constant with any hint of thrill was Splash (my all time favorite ride). I dipped my toe in the Tower Of Terror pool twice and... never again. Beyond that, I’ve never ridden a traditional coaster. Aside from Splash, I’d never attempted to ride a mountain at WDW. Slinky Dog broke me of that. So, we rope dropped 7DMT. We were through the tapstiles by 7:15am and headed straight over. By 7:40am, we were boarding. And... I loved it. I was initially scared, pictures to come, but rode it again to close out the park and it was amazing.

Also, I rode Big Thunder 6 times this day. I’ve always avoided it for two reasons, both silly. First, like I said, I’m a coward. Second, have you watched the Modern Family episode where Phil has gotten too old to ride thrill rides? At the end of the episode they got on BTMRR and he nearly blacks out. Silly, I know, but I nearly blacked out the first time I did barnstormer. Note: for 6 rides of BTMRR, the posted wait time was typically at 25 minutes. Total actual wait time, for all 6 rides combined, was probably 30 minutes. That rides eats lines. It was unreal.

Day 4:
7DMT
Jungle cruise
Pirates
Big Thunder
Haunted
Buzz
TTA
Liberty Belle
Big Thunder
Country bear
Big Thunder
Big Thunder
Tiki
Big Thunder
Barnstormer
Tea Cups
Big Thunder
Buzz
7DMT

Before I get to the pictures and the score, I wanted to note our lunch. We mobile ordered spicy chicken waffle sammiches from Sleepy Hollow. It was a first for us after years of threatening to try it. And it was phenomenal. Don’t get me wrong, there is little to no nutritional value in the thing. I believe I now have both type 1 and type 2 diabetes after eating it. But a worthy trade off if you ask me. Note 2: we did a mid-day break and I believe did Everything Pop for dinner.

Score: 9.5 out of 10. Best day of the trip and one of the best days we’ve ever had at Disney. That includes the next day where we meet one of my all time favorite musicians on Soarin.

Wins: BTMRR going Joey Chestnut on lines
- 7DMT (only true MK rope drop success of the trip)
- waffle sammich

Loss: Couldn’t ride splash all day, the line was a consistent monster. This is a self inflicted wound by Disney.

Push: n/a

09760703-BB4A-4180-9F37-A4FD2D38CE8A.jpeg
20786AC4-1D8D-4E42-8335-39FC8751E014.jpeg
908B96A6-E690-432F-B526-A2E8A72C1FF9.jpeg
8E495A11-04D8-4031-9ED9-42506309392B.jpeg
37D192AC-A5C8-465D-9D83-DEDDD970B1F2.jpeg
575AB812-2A76-4E29-89C1-CDA4DE1823C1.jpeg

Last edited:

jharvey

Original Poster
It definitely put the Boathouse on my to do list this year! :)
If you are a calamari fan, that alone is worth the price of admission. The burgers are legit too- the filet sliders are amazing. I’ll cheat on my taxes before next trip in order to afford a steak there.

jharvey

Original Poster
Day 5: Epcot (Wednesday June 2, 2021)
Park Hours: 11am-10pm

Working Title: Hate Me Today

For much of my Disney fandom, this was my favorite park. And to this day, SSE is my favorite park icon. However, it’s in the Hollywood Studios circa 2017 Disney Springs circa 2014 phase. It’s a construction zone play acting as a theme park. I literally had to stop myself after apologizing to my brother and saying, “no, it’s usually awesome”.

I wanted the feels from walking in by SSE, and taking the skyliner in through the world showcase wouldn’t offer that. To say nothing of the additional walking required to beat the crowds to Soarin. So, we walked to Art of Animation and were at the bus stop for Epcot by 8:45am. We loaded up and were at the tapstile by 10:05am. We were let through by 10:20am and headed straight for Soarin. We were amongst the first 10 or so people in line which helped. Soarin is an all time favorite of ours, but we haven’t been able to ride it since... 2013. Our big 2016 trip it was down for the refurb/change. And it must’ve been too long a wait because we didn’t do it is 2017. To get the obvious out of the way, yes the Eiffel Tower appeared to have a bit of a curve. Yes the Taj Mahal was bad cgi. But I love it still.

From there, I thought it would be cool to try Test Track. I’ve never ridden it before- coward- but I thought I was ready, and my wife and kids assured me there experience with it were tame. We walk up and the line was a monster. So we go to Norway to give Frozen a whirl... and the line was back to China. We got in line for what turned out to be a 50 minute wait. It was good, but the plexi really impacts rides like this. Overall, probably not worth it. Well, outside of the discovery that bras are now outerwear.

We snacked at the different F&G stands for lunch. Wins for this trip included Toasted Pretzel Bread topped with Black Forest Ham and Melted Gruyère Cheese from Bauernmarkt. The picture doesn’t do it justice tasted great. But, like most things at these types of events, could’ve been a larger portion for the price. https://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2021-epcot-flower-and-garden-festival-bauernmarkt-farmers-market/
2D59B1D3-83D8-49FE-8F21-A19201B3518D.jpeg

the other winner was Citrus-braised Crispy Pork Belly with Kumquat and Carrot from the Citrus Blossom. I forgot to get a picture, but you can’t go wrong with pork belly.

Day 5
Soarin
Frozen
American Adventure
Journey
Pixar shorts
SSE
Seas
Soarin
Test track
Mission Space

Dinner was at returning favorite Via Napoli. We got a full Mezzo Metro (too lazy to check spelling) with half Quattro and the other half picante. That, along with an app of calamari should’ve been enough but we had to order another large pepperoni pizza. We love this place. We’ve eaten here every trip since 2012.
883E8C9E-F9EA-4387-833E-6F33336764E3.jpeg3BF79FE0-B4DD-4193-A157-A21CBB5CF345.jpeg

All in all, I’d rate the day a 7.5. It would’ve been lower if not for what happened on our second soarin ride. The line moved well, and near the end of the wait, the couple in front stepped aside and let us by because the man’s brother and family were catching up. Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, we moved up. Up a head, we are in line still and the brother must’ve finally caught up because he was so loud it started to get a little annoying. He kept calling out his kids names and it sounded like the list was as long as my arm. I was cracking jokes about him, to my kids. He sounded like Albert Brooks (Marlin from Finding Nemo) and I joked that his kids had reindeer names. Well, a couple of minutes later and we are in the holding area just before we are seated and my middle child said, “hey, he kinda looks like that singer you like”. I turn around and see a dude- loud, so it’s the one I’ve been talking about- wearing a bright red Hawaiian shirt. I was about to call him out, to my daughter, with something along the lines of, “your dad doesn’t listen to anyone who has that much hamburger meat hanging out”, when it hit me. That isn’t hair, those are tattoos. And, as I looked up more I blurted out, “omg that Justin Furstenfeld”! Now, a lot of people will have no clue who that is. A few might know if I said he’s the lead singer to Blue October. But many would still not know. But I am a Blue October fan, and have been for about 13 years. I told my family to leave him alone as he was there with his family and didn’t need to be bothered.

He, and his group were sat one row to our left. I kept sneaking glances and my middle child kept laughing because she said I was acting like a creeper and what would I do if he was looking as I looked over. Anyway, the ride ends and we are directed to exit to the left... which is where he is. Someone, probably Madison, asked if I was going to say something. I am a wallflower, but I’m also a father. Both of those joined together and I said, “nope, he’s with his family”. As the words were escaping my mouth, to my horror, my brother walks up to him. Justin thought he was coming up to ask him to quiet down, because dude is loud. My brother said no, and he didn’t mean to interrupt but he wanted to say we were huge fans. Justin immediately, and without prompting, grabbed my brother and then my wife and hugged and thanked them. He then called his brother over, a member of the band, and told him that they were fans. All together, maybe a 20 second interaction, but so amazingly cool. And no, as a coward, I didn’t introduce myself.

I’m including a picture of Maddy wearing her Loki ears. No BS, for the trip, between cast members commenting on the ears, and guests asking where she got them, she had to get over a dozen comments on the ears.

E8AE0A8C-8FF7-4913-9041-6208AF4B6AA9.jpeg
517E0639-5A3E-43E9-9E0E-D32F36C5EEC9.jpeg
1897C8DC-E795-475D-BA70-963363107DEB.jpeg

Last edited:

Zipadeelady

I've never heard of Blue October, so of course I had to look them up. The first song that came up on YouTube was Hate Me. I liked it. I love listening to "new to me" music. I'll add them to my rotation.

jharvey

Original Poster
I've never heard of Blue October, so of course I had to look them up. The first song that came up on YouTube was Hate Me. I liked it. I love listening to "new to me" music. I'll add them to my rotation.
Yeah, they are very much in the direction of- you feeling good about yourself? Listen to this, it’ll bring you back down. It was a little out there to have someone I’ve pigeonholed as one thing show up at Disney with his family. Very cool.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom