Family of 5 staying OFF SITE, do we need magic bands

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
We are slightly more than 1 year out (Nov 2020) and I am starting to look at airfare and condo's to actually book soon. We will be offsite at condo and I am wondering is it worth the expense to buy the whole family the magic bands? 5 of us total, 3 of which are children. I am a bit confused on the bands but I gather much of the benefit are for those on property, but there is some benefit even if staying off. Looking to cut corners and costs where I can, is this one of them?

Thoughts?

JaxFLBear

They only thing you would miss out on if you didn't purchase MagicBands would be having the ride photos automatically link to your My Disney Experience account.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
No need to buy bands, as your tickets will work for admission and tapping in for fastpasses.

so in this case I will have to carry the tickets in my wallet and get them out every time one or all of us want to ride? Sounds like from a practical standpoint just putting the bands on everyone's wrist would allow us through easier. I am sold if that is the difference...Can you confirm the bands will let us on rides (even though we'll be off site guests)?

Jon81uk

Don't forget you only need to tap a card or band at the entrance to the park and then when using a fast pass, its not every single ride only the ones you get fast passes for. It might not be that hard for people to tap the cards and you then save $15 per person you can spend on actual good souvenirs, or ice cream or lunch.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Don't forget you only need to tap a card or band at the entrance to the park and then when using a fast pass, its not every single ride only the ones you get fast passes for. It might not be that hard for people to tap the cards and you then save $15 per person you can spend on actual good souvenirs, or ice cream or lunch.

Thanks. I am thinking with the children it will be easier to just bite the bullet and buy these bands, rather then pull a card out (for each person I'm assuming?) at each ride. The youngest will be 4.5, followed by 6.5 and 8. They could not manage to hold onto cards and honestly even for myself I'd rather just wave my wrist at the reader. I understand what you're saying only the fastpass + rides which are the bigger attractions, but still thinking it is worth it....

Jon81uk

Thanks. I am thinking with the children it will be easier to just bite the bullet and buy these bands, rather then pull a card out (for each person I'm assuming?) at each ride. The youngest will be 4.5, followed by 6.5 and 8. They could not manage to hold onto cards and honestly even for myself I'd rather just wave my wrist at the reader. I understand what you're saying only the fastpass + rides which are the bigger attractions, but still thinking it is worth it....
You could probably keep hold of the ticket cards and tap for them if you wanted to.
Similar to old paper FastPass where you could just hand over a stack for the whole group.

SAV

Honestly, with the smaller children, I'd rather "know" I have the cards securely put away rather than worry about them having the MB still attached to their wrist. I know they are secure, but my preference would be the cards.

Also, you don't "Wave your wrist". You have to "touch Mickey to Mickey" until it lights up. Takes a few seconds for each one.

Disstevefan1

I don’t know if it was suggested but the kids could have their cards on lanyards, if you could find cheap lanyards or reuse/borrow some old ones, you could even make them yourself.

DisneyfanMA

Original Poster
Honestly, with the smaller children, I'd rather "know" I have the cards securely put away rather than worry about them having the MB still attached to their wrist. I know they are secure, but my preference would be the cards.

Also, you don't "Wave your wrist". You have to "touch Mickey to Mickey" until it lights up. Takes a few seconds for each one.

good to know. Seems like a kind of silly way to implement (having to lineup the logo). Anyway I am leaning towards the wrist strap over the cards/lanyards.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
MagicBands also make a cute souvenir. MBs might be easier to use than cards? Often the hold-up on a line is a group with cards, but maybe that group generally has less experience with systems than the MB group. Possibly has nothing to do with the method.

Jon81uk

good to know. Seems like a kind of silly way to implement (having to lineup the logo). Anyway I am leaning towards the wrist strap over the cards/lanyards.

If they read the band from a distance then there would be too many accidental taps. as the chip is on the side with the logo then tapping logo to logo is best to ensure a good accurate read.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom