Family of 5 in All Stars?

slappy magoo

Not that I'm prying, just a word of caution that the rooms have two double beds, so if you and/or your wife are on the larger than average size, the bed situation can get tight unless you split sleeping accommodations up between grownups and kids.

Tom P.

Not that I'm prying, just a word of caution that the rooms have two double beds, so if you and/or your wife are on the larger than average size, the bed situation can get tight unless you split sleeping accommodations up between grownups and kids.
If I'm not mistaken, don't the refurbished rooms now have queen beds instead of doubles? Of course, not all rooms are refurbished and there is no guarantee of getting one that is, but just wanted to point that out.

Disney.Mike

its doable but it is going to be tight.... I disagree with the posters that said no one will sleep. The kids will be so tired they will fall asleep anywhere.

We are also a family of 5 - 11, 8, 6.... we stayed in moderates (about same size, just has a fold down trundle bed once the little one outgrew a crib) several times, going back to when the youngest was 3 and the oldest was 8 with no issues.

slappy magoo

If I'm not mistaken, don't the refurbished rooms now have queen beds instead of doubles? Of course, not all rooms are refurbished and there is no guarantee of getting one that is, but just wanted to point that out.
I was going by the fact sheet on allears.net. If ASM rooms have been refurbished and their fact sheet doesn't reflect it then I stand corrected of course, but they still have ASM rooms listed as having either two doubles or one king bed.

Edit: Per the Disneytouristblog and I'm highlighting what I think is pertinent:

Currently, All Star Resorts are receiving room redesigns akin to Pop Century. Once renovations at All Star Movies are finished, All Star Music will be next, followed by All Star Sports. Room renovations were originally going to be finished at All Star Movies by Spring 2019, but the work paused a few months ago and has yet to resume, so no end date is presently known.

As of January 2019, work is entirely finished on buildings 6-10 at All Star Movies; buildings 1-5 have not yet started. This means that you can potentially get a refurbished room if you make a request for the Toy Story or Fantasia rooms. With around half of the resort finished, your request has a pretty good shot of being fulfilled.

If work occurs at a similar pace as it has at Pop Century, we’d anticipate all of the work at the All Star Resorts concluding by mid-2020. The room design will be nearly identical to what Pop Century has received, with minor thematic flourishes differing, such as logos on the floor and artwork. Work should be minimally intrusive to guests during this time.

So it's possible/likely refurbs will be done by the OP's trip next January. I'd keep my optimism in the cautious range, though.

Amos1784

In one of your posts you talk about "upgrading" to Pop. Just so you are aware the rooms are not going to be any bigger or really impact you in any way differently than the All Star rooms will. We definitely prefer Pop as a resort, however the rooms will really not be any different to the point I would spend any $$ to "upgrade" to Pop to expect a better situation, save that money if you are on a budget and just keep the all stars room.

CaptainAmerica

its doable but it is going to be tight.... I disagree with the posters that said no one will sleep. The kids will be so tired they will fall asleep anywhere.

We are also a family of 5 - 11, 8, 6.... we stayed in moderates (about same size, just has a fold down trundle bed once the little one outgrew a crib) several times, going back to when the youngest was 3 and the oldest was 8 with no issues.
None of this is relevant to a family traveling with a baby, which is the primary cause for concern. Babies and three year olds sharing a hotel room is a disaster waiting to happen. Your kids during their youngest trip were 3, 5, and 8, which is VASTLY different from 1, 3, and 5.

Jon81uk

The only reason Movies is more expensive is because the theme is more popular. The rooms and amenities are pretty much the same across all of the All Star resorts.

The rooms at Pop and the Little Mermaid rooms at Art of Animation are the same as the All Star rooms as well. Again price differences reflect the popularity, not the amenities.

If you are on a tight budget book the cheaper of the values, you won't see any advantage in room size unless you get a suite at a value or switch to a moderate.

I don't have kids, but fitting all those people in one room seems crazy now to me. But I do have memories of my parents doing it when I was a kid and me and my brother in bunk beds with my sister in a single and my parents in the same room, in a small hotel in Paignton, Devon.

Last edited:

Cosmic Commando

This article is old enough that the prices are completely out of date, but the rooms haven't changed sizes. The picture is gold... you really don't get much more space for your money at a mod. The bathroom area makes up most of the difference, and you won't be sleeping there. I've stayed at all the mods except Coronado, but I'm a value guy now (actually, I'm a tent-camp-at-Fort-Wilderness guy) because I always look at the total cost difference and I think my money is better spent elsewhere on the trip.

Touring Plans
resortcomp1.jpg

Tom P.

This article is old enough that the prices are completely out of date, but the rooms haven't changed sizes. The picture is gold... you really don't get much more space for your money at a mod. The bathroom area makes up most of the difference, and you won't be sleeping there. I've stayed at all the mods except Coronado, but I'm a value guy now (actually, I'm a tent-camp-at-Fort-Wilderness guy) because I always look at the total cost difference and I think my money is better spent elsewhere on the trip.
I think you're making some pretty bold assumptions about people there... :p

button409

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I’m not too concerned about everyone sleeping. My 5 and 3 year old currently share a room with no issues. When they were 3 and 1 we took them to Disneyland Paris and were all in one room (a value resort) and they were so tired after the parks they slept well. I guess my main concern was the room size with having to have a crib in there as well. I’m wondering if US double beds are the same as here or larger? I know that what you guys call a queen we call a king. Will do some research on that. Worst case scenario will send my husband to sleep on a sun lounger 😂😂

button409

Original Poster
Right on, Do you have a separate term for California King, we have two versions of King size beds? lolol
[/QUOTE
No just the one type for us here! Unfortunately it looks like the US and UK Double are the same size - was hoping would be slightly bigger

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom