Family of 4 but kids don't want to sleep in same bed

MrMichaelJames

Original Poster
Ugh so many visits to WDW, here is my dilemma now. Planning a trip for 2023. My tween and younger kid don't like sleeping in the same bed. They want to stay at AoA. How comfy is the sofa beds? Are they like normal sofa beds, floppy and metal bars underneath the thin "mattress"?

Cost is too high for 2 adjoining rooms (think that is stupid with 4 people anyways). Other suggestions? Was looking at Riviera but wife said that is not themed enough for the kiddos. Basically rooms with 2 queen beds are out and doesn't look like there are any bunk bed options anymore.

JohnD

Ugh so many visits to WDW, here is my dilemma now. Planning a trip for 2023. My tween and younger kid don't like sleeping in the same bed. They want to stay at AoA. How comfy is the sofa beds? Are they like normal sofa beds, floppy and metal bars underneath the thin "mattress"?

Cost is too high for 2 adjoining rooms (think that is stupid with 4 people anyways). Other suggestions? Was looking at Riviera but wife said that is not themed enough for the kiddos. Basically rooms with 2 queen beds are out and doesn't look like there are any bunk bed options anymore.

Isn't there a pull down Murphy bed?

MrMichaelJames

Original Poster
Isn't there a pull down Murphy bed?
Yes there is. There is a queen and a pull down full sized bed and a full sized sofa bed. It will work if the sofa bed isn't horrible. We can put the smaller kid on the sofa bed. But I don't know how good the sofa beds are. We stayed there right before pandemic and they shared the pull down bed but they complain every time they have to share a bed now. The older one is getting too big so it is a valid complaint now but puts me in a bind :)

jasminethecat

I stayed with my wife and 3 kids at AoA in 2014 (cars suite) and 2017 (nemo suite). Both rooms were great, and you get 2 full bathrooms and a separate kitchenette area (microwave, sink and fridge). Plenty of space for all our luggage, clothes and shoes. My 2 boys were both over 6' tall by 2017 and they shared the pullout sofa while my daughter took the table pull-down bed. We had an awesome time there and you should have no issues with one kid (or adult) in each bed. It's also a skyliner resort now to EPCOT and DHS, the buses were adequate back then, and the big pool is nice. Food court was decent back then too.

My kids would kill me if they knew i put a photo of them up here, but here's the pullout with 2 boys chilling on it and the pull-down with my daughter feeling cute, might delete later. The boys were 15 and 16 back then and my daughter (15) is the twin of the younger son. She's 5'9" tall. Also throwing in one photo of my family with chewbacca for scale. I am 6'5" tall, on the far right.

1660603642577.png
1660603707362.png
1660603904449.png

Last edited:

erstwo

As a family of 4 - 2 kids, one boy, one girl- I feel your pain. Mine haven’t wanted to share a bed in over a decade. We worked around it for a while, and I would sleep in one bed with my daughter and my husband would sleep in the bed with my son but those days passed quickly when my son grew over 6 ft tall. With 4 adult sized people- two of them who wear make up and blow dry their hair, we’ve found the ease of having two bathrooms and 4 beds in adjoining rooms is sometimes worth the expense. We’ve also sucked it up and utilized the ‘5th person’ Murphy beds at Yacht Club before for shorter trips.
Having said that, I’m about to test out the AoA suites soon. Taking 4 teen girls in about a month. If it would be helpful, I’ll report back.

Weather_Lady

We're in exactly the same boat -- one teen son, one teen daughter, and DH and I would prefer not to share beds with them although we've tried it in the past (only to discover that our beloved offspring kick like mules in their sleep). ;)

My best recommendation, if the budget allows and you're certain about your dates , would be to rent DVC points (David's Vacation Rentals, DVC Rental Store, etc) for a Poly studio. You'll get a queen bed, plus a queen Murphy, plus a twin Murphy, plus an extra 3/4 second bath, a kitchenette (3rd sink, mini-fridge, toaster, coffeemaker, dishes), and more floor space than any other studio, for less money than a deluxe standard room at rack rate, or an AoA suite).

Last edited:

MrMichaelJames

Original Poster
I stayed with my wife and 3 kids at AoA in 2014 (cars suite) and 2017 (nemo suite). Both rooms were great, and you get 2 full bathrooms and a separate kitchenette area (microwave, sink and fridge). Plenty of space for all our luggage, clothes and shoes. My 2 boys were both over 6' tall by 2017 and they shared the pullout sofa while my daughter took the table pull-down bed. We had an awesome time there and you should have no issues with one kid (or adult) in each bed. It's also a skyliner resort now to EPCOT and DHS, the buses were adequate back then, and the big pool is nice. Food court was decent back then too.

My kids would kill me if they knew i put a photo of them up here, but here's the pullout with 2 boys chilling on it and the pull-down with my daughter feeling cute, might delete later. The boys were 15 and 16 back then and my daughter (15) is the twin of the younger son. She's 5'9" tall. Also throwing in one photo of my family with chewbacca for scale. I am 6'5" tall, on the far right.

View attachment 660748 View attachment 660749 View attachment 660750
This is actually really helpful. My kids are little and will be 13 and 9 when our trip comes next year so the 9 year old could easily handle that sofa bed it looks like if your 2 teenage boys dealt with it.

MissingDisney

I also have 2 college-aged over 6 footers myself and when needed, they will sleep in the same bed on vacation and we do not have any issues.

When they were younger, we separated them and my husband and I each slept with one of them because one was a thrasher in his sleep, always waking up the other. It seemed if he slept with a parent, he slept more calmly, but he outgrew this by about 10 years old and they went back to sleeping together on vacation. But I’m going to be honest, when they were younger, if they threw a fit about not wanting to sleep with their sibling, that’s just too bad. Kids get all weird about the most irrational, nonsensical things during those tweens/early years. Until they’re paying for their own room….

jmunzert

Have you thought about the Family suites at the All Star Music resort? I havent stayed in one myself but I'm itching to try one out they look HUGE. I agree with Weather_Lady the studio DVC rooms at the Polynesian are my favorite! Very roomy and comfy :)

JusticeDisney

View attachment 660748 View attachment 660749 View attachment 660750
Your kids are going to murder you.

Last edited:

disneyfireman

How old is the younger one?

There are 5th sleeper rooms at POR and I think at other moderates.

Some of the deluxe resort rooms have a day bed but those aren’t guaranteed. But some DVC studios have a pulldown 5th sleeper.

Or there’s always an air mattress.
Air mattresses are great. Always use them in the all stars. Works great.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
In the cabins? There used to be but they redid the interiors and removed the murphy beds. I believe there is a flat screen tv in that area now along with additional storage drawers.

Yes there is. There is a queen and a pull down full sized bed and a full sized sofa bed. It will work if the sofa bed isn't horrible. We can put the smaller kid on the sofa bed. But I don't know how good the sofa beds are. We stayed there right before pandemic and they shared the pull down bed but they complain every time they have to share a bed now. The older one is getting too big so it is a valid complaint now but puts me in a bind :)
The Art of Animation beds (all of them) are quite good.

Fort Wilderness Cabins have a queen bed, two twin beds, and a queen sofa bed. The sofa beds were put in when the Murphy beds were removed.

MissingDisney

Air mattresses are great. Always use them in the all stars. Works great.
Second this. We actually always travel with a “twin” air mattress that’s actually longer than a regular twin mattress, and a mini air pump which is tiny, abut the size of a coffee cup. For both it was $20 or less and can go in a suitcase or carry on, whatever is needed. If anyone is coughing, runny nose, whatever or just needs a break from being in someone’s face, I get an extra sheet/blanket from the hotel and it’s perfect.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

My two haven't wanted to share a bed for quite awhile. The beds at AoA were fine. The cabins at Fort Wilderness were very nice, with both the bunk beds and the pull out sofa being extremely comfortable.

However, after a few trips of paying for such accommodations, we switched to renting houses on Airbnb. All of us enjoyed the extra space, the private pools (at most of the rentals) and the extra money.

MrMichaelJames

Original Poster
Second this. We actually always travel with a “twin” air mattress that’s actually longer than a regular twin mattress, and a mini air pump which is tiny, abut the size of a coffee cup. For both it was $20 or less and can go in a suitcase or carry on, whatever is needed. If anyone is coughing, runny nose, whatever or just needs a break from being in someone’s face, I get an extra sheet/blanket from the hotel and it’s perfect.
Yeah air mattresses are not an option, if we are flying they weigh too much. But I think we will be taking the autotrain from Virginia for this trip so that might actually be an option this time since we will have our car. I actually wish disney had more options with bunk beds.

nickys

Premium Member
Yeah air mattresses are not an option, if we are flying they weigh too much. But I think we will be taking the autotrain from Virginia for this trip so that might actually be an option this time since we will have our car. I actually wish disney had more options with bunk beds.
They took out bunk beds at WL and AKL. Not sure why.

They do have them at the Treehouses at Saratoga Springs. And the FW cabins. I’m not sure if there are any elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom