Trip Report Family Fun in the Hot, Hot Florida Sun!!

Hello All!! I'm back(unfortunately) from yet another wonderful trip to Walt Disney World. Lot's of fun & sweat(not trying to be gross but wow, was it ever nasty) was had by all!! Speaking of all--let me introduce you to our party of 10!! Most of these faces will be familiar to you but there are a few new ones in the mix!! I'll try to do this as simply as possible--
455035665.jpeg

From left to right(somewhat): My sister C, my niece E(C & D's daughter), R(not sure why he's looking so miserable) & myself, in front of me(white shirt) is my niece B, in the green is E's niece L, my niece A(C & D's youngest) is wearing the blue glasses(when she remembers to put them on--her last trip to Disney prior to this one she actually left them at homeo_O), then we have "the same old crew" E & J, and last but certainly not least is my BIL D.
Whew--I'm glad you've met most of these people in the past--otherwise this could get very confusing!!:p

C's family was there June 13th-27th. They stayed the first week at their timeshare right outside of Disney. They spent their second week at our favorite home away from home. The rest of us were there June 18th-25th.

I'm looking forward to reliving the trip with you all--everything but the heat that is!! A big welcome to everyone reading out there!!:)

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SATURDAY, JUNE 22ND

I got the Deep South Shrimp & Grits. I had it a few years prior there & enjoyed it.
IMG_2050.JPEG

R got the same thing he got the year before, the Nashville Hot Chicken.
IMG_2051.JPEG

B & L both got ribs.
IMG_2052.JPEG

J & A split pizza and broccoli.
IMG_2054.JPEG

D got French Onion Soup......
IMG_2055.JPEG

....and the prime rib.
IMG_2056.JPEG

At this point I guess J must have been successful in getting the glow cube from me!
IMG_2057.JPEG

Then it was time to choose our desserts.
IMG_2058.JPEG

I reminded E of the bananas dipped in chocolate that J got the year before. He got them again. Looks like A had some ice cream going on there.
IMG_2059.JPEG

He looks more interested in his glow cube:oops:
IMG_2060.JPEG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SATURDAY, JUNE 22ND

B ordered the Traditional Bread Pudding--he gave her the Mississippi Mud Creme Brulee. I told her I would let him know but she told me not to. She actually ended up really liking it & ate the whole thing!!
IMG_2062.JPEG

I got the Lemon Chess Bar. It was fair but nothing exceptional. Let's face it, the only reason I was ordering dessert was b/c we were on the dining plan--thanks R!!
IMG_2063.JPEG

D got the sorbet.
IMG_2064.JPEG

R said none of the desserts were appealing to him so he asked if he could just have ice cream.
IMG_2065.JPEG

Our server gave E & J each one of those glow figures that come on some of the specialty drinks for kids.
IMG_2066.JPEG

They were pretty excited!!
IMG_2067.JPEG

Dinner was good. I'm glad it worked out & we ended up spending the rest of the day at POR. We did end up being at dinner for 2 hours but I wasn't all that surprised. It was nice not to have far to go after we were done--which was 8:45 BTW!!

We stopped at the arcade on the way back to our rooms.
IMG_2069.JPEG

B & A went in the photo booth.
IMG_2070.JPEG

IMG_2071.JPEG

It was 9:15 when we got back to our rooms. I know I went to sleep pretty quick. The heat had really worn me down that day.
IMG_2073.JPEG

susan lees

SATURDAY, JUNE 22ND

It was about 3:00 & we decided that we had enough & were ready to leave. We had a 6:35 reservation at The Wave so we figured the kids could swim for an hour or so then we would head back for dinner. We got to the POR bus stop & noticed quite the line. It was obvious that it had been some time since a bus came. By the looks of the amount of people waiting we figured we wouldn't get on the first bus when it arrived.

J & A leading the way!!
View attachment 391102

There weren't too many people waiting to go to FQ so we decided to get in line for that one instead. Then we waited & waited & waited & waited. It was awful. The line kept getting longer & longer. One man was a complete moron & didn't go the right way in line. Instead of weaving through he had his family stand in a row straight back which caused all the people to overflow into the main walkways & there not be any people in the queue except for us that were in the first row. Another guy politely told him that his family was standing incorrectly & it turned into the biggest argument. The guy & his family held their ground & wouldn't move. I actually felt sorry for the family. I kind of got the impression they knew dad was wrong. The line got longer & they dad continued to stand there & complain about the other guy. It was hot & the bus service was in super slow motion & we were all getting very aggravated. BTW-why are there never any CM's at the bus stops at the parks to help maintain law & order? Finally, after a few other people started complaining also the dad threw in the towel & got in the line properly. Also, I have to mention that there were TONS of buses just parked everywhere with nowhere to go. Between that, the long wait, the fighting & the heat everyone's moods were starting to sour.
View attachment 391103

Keep in mind we left MK at 3 & what time did we finally see this? 4:30!!! Totally unacceptable if you ask me. R, D, & I did walk through Jackson Square where D picked up a few shirts but we were only in there for 5 minutes. On the bus ride on the way back everyone pretty much decided that we didn't want to go to The Wave. We couldn't let the kids swim for a half hour & tell them they would have to get out to get ready for dinner. After the bus fiasco us adults decided that the last thing we wanted to do was get back on a bus, then a monorail to get to dinner just to repeat that to get back to POR.
View attachment 391104

The whole ride back I tried canceling the reservation--actually the plan was to change it to a future date then cancel so I wasn't charged $100 for us not showing. But, MDE wasn't cooperating--as usual.
View attachment 391105

In the meantime C had managed to get a reservation for 9 of us(E-niece, wanted to stay in the room) at Boatwright's for 6:45. The kids were enjoying the pool & the adults were enjoying Muddy Rivers. I tried calling the reservation line to change our reservation but I was on hold forever. Finally, I decided to head to the front desk to see if they could help me.
View attachment 391106

I had the sweetest CM helping me. I explained to her that the app wasn't cooperating & I couldn't modify the reservation. I explained the bus situation & how it screwed up our plans. She offered to get us a later reservation & I told her that my sister got us one for Boatwright's in an hour so we were good there. She called The Wave & cancelled it & saved me from paying the $100!! She said that she told them there was a medical emergency & that's why we couldn't make it. She said if she didn't tell them that they most likely would have charged me. That was very nice of her. The only thing that bothered me was saying there was a medical emergency when there wasn't. I believe it's bad karma to make up stories about medical issues that aren't true. Kind of like when one of my employees tells me they need off b/c their grandma passed away--for like the 5th time :cautious:
View attachment 391107

On my way out I was successful in swapping out my fuel rod!! Wow, that hadn't happened to me at POR in forever!!
View attachment 391108

Lobby pic
View attachment 391109

This was the CM who helped me. She was headed outside(bless her, in that heat)to show these guests were they were going b/c they had no clue.
View attachment 391110

B had bought a ring the day before & I was having trouble getting it separated from the card that it comes on. I had asked the CM who was helping me with the reservation if she had scissors so I could cut it off. She was so helpful!!
View attachment 391111
I'm the same as you when it comes to saying that theres been a medical emergency, but it was the CM who said it so I reckon your completely off the book 😁

lindawdw

R? I'm glad you were able to cancel your Wave reservation without a penalty. All your meals at Boatwrights looked delicious and that was very nice of the server to give the kids the glow cube. I've experienced the whole bus waiting situations one too many times at WDW which is why my DH and I rent a car now although I do have to still do the bus when I travel with friends or my daughters. I wish they monitored the lines at all the bus stops with CM's more often because it can make for some unpleasant situations. :(

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you eat breakfast at Crystal Palace and not try the breakfast lasagna!?! That certainly doesn't make it worth $38, but it is delicious! As always, I'm enjoying following along!
Wait a minute--I don't think I saw that up there!! That sounds like something I definitely would have tried so maybe it wasn't there??
Thanks so much for following!!
I'm the same as you when it comes to saying that theres been a medical emergency, but it was the CM who said it so I reckon your completely off the book 😁
Thanks....I didn't think of it that way. That makes me feel better!!
I'm glad you were able to cancel your Wave reservation without a penalty. All your meals at Boatwrights looked delicious and that was very nice of the server to give the kids the glow cube. I've experienced the whole bus waiting situations one too many times at WDW which is why my DH and I rent a car now although I do have to still do the bus when I travel with friends or my daughters. I wish they monitored the lines at all the bus stops with CM's more often because it can make for some unpleasant situations. :(
Me too--if it would have been a flat fee of $10 or $20 I wouldn't have cared as much but $10 per person--yeah, I wouldn't have been too thrilled. I enjoy Boatwrights--it's just that the service is always sloooow. It's bizarre--I never see CM's at the parks. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Unfortunately, our next day didn't fare much better in regards to the bus:mad:

TheMouseFan

Wait a minute--I don't think I saw that up there!! That sounds like something I definitely would have tried so maybe it wasn't there??
Thanks so much for following!!
It has always been in the middle with the dessert type items each time we've had breakfast. I definitely would have missed it had I not known to look for it! It has waffles, pancakes, pound cake, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, and custard. So yummy!!

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, I can see J, so I know it’s not him. Other than that I have no clue. :hilarious:

Wait, are those recliners?! Y’all sure know how to fill up a movie theater. :hilarious:
I’m not sure if I see your niece H (the one you took on a trip just of the two of you)
I guess I should have taken a better look at this picture before I posted it. @Swissmiss you're right!!--H is not in the picture. She was there--just getting popcorn at the time. My SIL B wasn't there. She was still at work so she couldn't make it.

@Swissmiss here's one with H in it(yellow circle). Also, the guy in the front with the glasses is our 85 year old cousin. We actually call him Uncle b/c he's so much older than all of us. We brought him with us & he enjoyed it.
@Captain Barbossa recliners they are! Too comfortable I might add--a handful of the adults fell asleep a few times! We did take up quite a bit of it!!
IMG_2454.jpeg

On another note the movie was good but I wouldn't say great. We kind of left there a bit underwhelmed.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
It has always been in the middle with the dessert type items each time we've had breakfast. I definitely would have missed it had I not known to look for it! It has waffles, pancakes, pound cake, bananas, blueberries, raspberries, and custard. So yummy!!
That sounds excellent & something I would have loved to try. I think I know which area you're talking about but I don't recall having looked at anything in that section:banghead:

Swissmiss

Premium Member
@Captain Barbossa recliners they are! Too comfortable I might add--a handful of the adults fell asleep a few times! We did take up quite a bit of it!!
View attachment 391662

On another note the movie was good but I wouldn't say great. We kind of left there a bit underwhelmed.

There is a small theater with reclining seats (the theater holds maybe 50 people) where we live and the best part is that movies are ALWAYS in English. (I don’t like seeing dubbed movies as the translation is never as good as the original script).

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SUNDAY, JUNE 23RD

Today my sisters & I were meeting a little later than usual. We were going to do the Beignet Dash & it didn't start until 8:00 so the plan was to meet around 7:15 & walk down to FQ so we could register. The Beignet Dash is 1.5 miles & I like to walk 3 miles so I headed out around 6:30 so I could get some extra steps in. I also hadn't ran since we had got to Disney & I was feeling it so I decided to run a mile or so. Well--that was short-lived. If I'm going to run 50 degrees is ideal for me. Once it gets above 60 it's not as much fun. Well, with high humidity & 70some degrees my run turned into a walk after about 1/2 mile. Around 7:15 I met my sisters & we headed to FQ.
IMG_2075.JPEG

We got there early & registration hadn't opened yet.
IMG_2076.JPEG

The course takes you from FQ down to Riverside & back. The same path we had been walking all week but now we were paying $15 to do it!! 😂
IMG_2077.JPEG

It was so darn hot already. The CM on the right had her long hair down. I was melting just looking at her.
IMG_2078.JPEG

Once you signed up, filled out the waiver & paid you got your bib. On the back you had to put the phone number of an emergency contact. We were laughing b/c we were putting down each other. The bottom part of the bib is what you gave the CM to get your beignets when the event was over.
IMG_2079.JPEG

We're ready to go!!
IMG_2083.JPEG

They had some fun music playing & the CM's were really peppy & into it. There was about 50 people or so doing this. I was surprised--while overhearing people--at how many people live in the area & participate in these.
IMG_2085.JPEG

And we're off!! E ended up running the whole thing. C & I started out running but it was just too hot & humid so we walked the majority of it.
IMG_2086.JPEG

They had these signs all around the resort & CM's waving pom poms & cheering everyone on.
IMG_2087.JPEG

There's E already at the finish line!!
IMG_2088.JPEG

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

I guess I should have taken a better look at this picture before I posted it. @Swissmiss you're right!!--H is not in the picture. She was there--just getting popcorn at the time. My SIL B wasn't there. She was still at work so she couldn't make it.

@Swissmiss here's one with H in it(yellow circle). Also, the guy in the front with the glasses is our 85 year old cousin. We actually call him Uncle b/c he's so much older than all of us. We brought him with us & he enjoyed it.
View attachment 391662

I loved it but my main thing was I was not open to it being changed much. I was very pleased it stayed mostly exactly the same. Lion King is my favorite. The animated is still the best but I liked this one too.

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
SUNDAY, JUNE 23RD

C & I made it to the finish line!!
IMG_0595.JPEG

We received our medals(which I just realized you can't see b/c the signs are covering them up).
IMG_0596.JPEG

They had a poster listing the runs they have at all the resorts. I wouldn't mind doing one elsewhere but that early in the morning the easiest thing to do would be to Uber or take a Minnie Van. At that point it would probably cost $50 to do one of them!!
IMG_2089.JPEG

We figured the line would be long for the beignets so we decided to look around Jackson Square first.
IMG_2090.JPEG

The day before my BIL D bought this shirt. I mentioned to C that this was one of the ones that he got. She suggested that we buy them & not tell him & one day when he's wearing it we'll all put ours on. E actually bought a beignet mix that they sell in the store there. She said she'll make it a point for him to know when she's making them b/c we know he will wear it for sure then. He'll think he's clever & will be the only one to have that shirt but......
What is it with my family & shirts??:p
IMG_2091.JPEG

I was in a state of shock. I never realized there was a fitting room in Jackson Square!! I asked my sisters if they ever noticed one in Fulton's b/c I never had, but now I was beginning to wonder....
IMG_2092.JPEG

I thought these were super cute but totally impractical!! How much could you really write on these--esp. the Peter Pan one!!
IMG_2093.JPEG

Then I noticed the figures(or whatever they may be)up above. I never noticed them before either!!
IMG_2094.JPEG

Then we headed to Sassagoula Float Works to get our beignets!!
IMG_2095.JPEG

You get 3 beignets. That worked out perfect. R, B & I each had one. Just what I needed--there went all my walking!!
IMG_2096.JPEG

riverside

Premium Member
Original Poster
I loved it but my main thing was I was not open to it being changed much. I was very pleased it stayed mostly exactly the same. Lion King is my favorite. The animated is still the best but I liked this one too.
I was glad that it stayed the same also. There were a lot of times where in my mind I could recite things word for word. I guess I didn't feel like it had a "wow factor" for me like so many of Disney's movies. My youngest brother(the Disney hating one)actually organized us all going. The Lion King was his favorite movie growing up. He said he didn't care for it & much preferred the animated one. I told him I'm going to get him a ticket for the live show. I think he will really enjoy that.

DisneyGigi

I was glad that it stayed the same also. There were a lot of times where in my mind I could recite things word for word. I guess I didn't feel like it had a "wow factor" for me like so many of Disney's movies. My youngest brother(the Disney hating one)actually organized us all going. The Lion King was his favorite movie growing up. He said he didn't care for it & much preferred the animated one. I told him I'm going to get him a ticket for the live show. I think he will really enjoy that.
Definitely still prefer the original. It was crazy 25 years ago when I saw it in theaters- my son, via pregnant belly was in my lap- this time his son was sitting in my lap. I started out crying because of that lol so my opinion was probably biased from the beginning. I would love to see the live broadway show!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom