Trip Report Family Fun in the Hot, Hot Florida Sun!!

Hello All!! I'm back(unfortunately) from yet another wonderful trip to Walt Disney World. Lot's of fun & sweat(not trying to be gross but wow, was it ever nasty) was had by all!! Speaking of all--let me introduce you to our party of 10!! Most of these faces will be familiar to you but there are a few new ones in the mix!! I'll try to do this as simply as possible--
455035665.jpeg

From left to right(somewhat): My sister C, my niece E(C & D's daughter), R(not sure why he's looking so miserable) & myself, in front of me(white shirt) is my niece B, in the green is E's niece L, my niece A(C & D's youngest) is wearing the blue glasses(when she remembers to put them on--her last trip to Disney prior to this one she actually left them at homeo_O), then we have "the same old crew" E & J, and last but certainly not least is my BIL D.
Whew--I'm glad you've met most of these people in the past--otherwise this could get very confusing!!:p

C's family was there June 13th-27th. They stayed the first week at their timeshare right outside of Disney. They spent their second week at our favorite home away from home. The rest of us were there June 18th-25th.

I'm looking forward to reliving the trip with you all--everything but the heat that is!! A big welcome to everyone reading out there!!:)

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, JUNE 20TH

R wanted to see It's Tough To Be A Bug. C's family had FP's for Everest so after some MB swapping the three older girls & D headed to Everest & the rest of us went to see the show, minus E & J. J wouldn't have fared too well we thought.
IMG_1611.JPEG

I forgot to mention that when I rode with B earlier that day I noticed her eyes were closed when we were heading up the mountain. I asked her why & her response was, "Trust me, it's better for everyone concerned if I keep them closed." :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I get where she's coming from--I don't care for that part either.
456148327.jpeg

We passed by Russell and Dug.
IMG_1612.JPEG

IMG_1613.JPEG

I could stare at this tree forever looking at all the details!!
IMG_1614.JPEG

IMG_1615.JPEG

IMG_1616.JPEG

IMG_1617.JPEG

IMG_1618.JPEG

We enjoyed the show. I made sure(like I always do)not to sit all the way back in my seat. I hate the feeling of the bee sting!!

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, JUNE 20TH

We exited to rain. Little did we know this would be the last time we would see that until we got home!!
IMG_1619.JPEG

The whole group met back up & we headed to Pandora for our FOP FP.
IMG_1620.JPEG

R stayed off with J b/c he says the ride gives him motion sickness.
IMG_1623.JPEG

Look at A--she's a spunky one!!

B got a Night Blossom when we were done. She was probably ready to dehydrate. There must have been some kind of issue b/c we ended up in the room with "Mr. Um, Um" for something like 20 minutes. If he told us to move around one more time I was going to scream. It was sheer torture, let me tell you.
IMG_1624.JPEG

At this point the heat was getting to us. C's family had a FP for something so they were going to use that. We desperately needed a break from the heat & Nomad Lounge was right there so why not?? None of us had ever been there before so we were excited to try it. There were no seats available inside so we sat outside. I so wished our waiter would have turned the fan above us on but he never did.
IMG_1625.JPEG

I ordered Jenn's Tattoo.
IMG_1626.JPEG

E got the Leaping Lizard.
IMG_1627.JPEG

R got the Lamu Libation.
IMG_1628.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, JUNE 20TH

My Jenn's Tattoo. After trying the others we decided that mine was the least favorite out of the bunch.
IMG_1629.JPEG

E's Leaping Lizard.
IMG_1630.JPEG

R's Lamu Libation. His was the best drink by far.
IMG_1631.JPEG

We also got an order of churros. There was enough for each of us to have one. J was sleeping otherwise we would have been in trouble. There wouldn't have been enough to go around!!
IMG_1632.JPEG

It was nice to sit & relax for awhile. C & her family were on their way over to meet us. My friend that I was supposed to meet earlier that day was at AK so I went to say hello to her.
IMG_1633.JPEG

My friend made sure we got a picture together. I was so glad she thought of that b/c I wasn't thinking & there was a PP photographer right in front of where we were standing! She told me I was brave to wear a black shirt in AK esp. b/c it was so darn hot!!
456290729.jpeg

456290641.jpeg

456290897.jpeg

We talked for about 30 minutes or so. My family started making their way over & we all chatted for a few minutes. My friend & her family had to leave b/c the TE was going to be picking them up in a few hours. We had to leave so we could head to our dinner reservation. I was so glad it worked out & we got the chance to meet up!!

Our dinner destination was a new one for all of us!!
IMG_1634.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, JUNE 20TH

We had a 6:20 reservation at Whispering Canyon. We were all excited to try something new. A couldn't wait to ask for ketchup. We got there early so we had time to look around.
IMG_1635.JPEG

IMG_1636.JPEG

IMG_1637.JPEG

IMG_1640.JPEG

I was impressed but I don't know that I would necessarily want to stay there. I don't get into the whole "rustic" theme all that much.

Some of us walked through the gift shop. I bought this headband for myself.
IMG_1641.JPEG

R bought himself this shirt.
IMG_1642.JPEG

I wanted to explore the resort even though I really didn't want to go outside. The rest of the group stayed inside so I went out by myself.
IMG_1643.JPEG

IMG_1644.JPEG

IMG_1645.JPEG

IMG_1646.JPEG

Again, I thought it was very pretty but it's just not my sort of thing.

I didn't stay out there long. Everyone was hot & tired so C asked if we could be seated early. We were seated at 5:45 for our 6:20 reservation.

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, JUNE 20TH

The restaurant was quite empty when we got there. Our server was pretty funny. She had said something smart & all of the kids got an astounded look on their faces. We told them eating here was kind of like eating at 50's. They got it then.
IMG_1639.JPEG

IMG_1647.JPEG

IMG_1648.JPEG

The cornbread was good. I had a Moonshine Margarita. It was very strong.
IMG_1649.JPEG

The cole slaw was not all that great according to R.
IMG_1650.JPEG

We got a few orders of the "Burnt Ends" Nachos to share. They were really good!!
IMG_1651.JPEG

I think the three older girls all ordered from the kid's menu b/c nothing appealed to them on the adult menu.
B got chicken.
IMG_1652.JPEG

E got salmon. J's down there playing with a new car(it's actually a bus) that he just got.
IMG_1653.JPEG

C was taking a group selfie but forgot to include her husband in it.:oops:
IMG_1939.jpeg

There he is!!
IMG_1940.jpeg

riverside

Original Poster
THURSDAY, JUNE 20TH

R got The Traditional Skillet. I got The Land and Sea Skillet. We both liked ours. I tried everything but the chicken. The salmon was very good.
IMG_1654.JPEG

Notice A's plate has mashed potatoes & corn on it. She needed ketchup for what reason?

E got some kind of quesadilla & L got a burger off the kid's menu.
IMG_1655.JPEG

When our waitress asked if we needed anything A told her we needed ketchup. None of us did(esp. me b/c I can't stand the stuff). She just wanted to see the whole ketchup thing in action.
IMG_1657.JPEG

IMG_1658.JPEG

IMG_1659.JPEG

I think I counted close to 30 bottles on our table!!
IMG_1660.JPEG

A & J got involved in the pony race.
IMG_1662.JPEG

IMG_1663.JPEG

IMG_1664.JPEG

I had the apple pie for dessert. I would not recommend it. It was very dry & didn't have much flavor.
IMG_1665.JPEG

Overall we had a great meal & it was a lot of fun!! I would definitely go back again!!

riverside

Original Poster
TUESDAY, JUNE 20TH

I was able to swap my fuel rod out after dinner(something that never happens at POR). Funny thing is I never used it all week. But, it's a good thing I had it. L & E(niece)used it a few times.
IMG_1666.JPEG

We took a bus to DS so we could take the boat back to POR. We were hot & tired. We walked right through DS without stopping anywhere.
This was the line for the boat. Yikes!!
IMG_1668.JPEG

Isn't A's dress the cutest??
IMG_1669.JPEG

J must have got his hands on another glow cube during dinner!
IMG_1670.JPEG

IMG_1671.JPEG

When we got back B, E & L went swimming at the quiet pool next to our building. It was anything but quiet, let me tell you. There was a group of 4 teenagers & ones mouth was fouler than the others. The girl in the group was dumb enough to hold her phone while she was in the water. One of the boys came after her so she threw her phone & it hit the concrete hard. It was right in the path of where people would walk but I wouldn't get up to get it for her. Then there were 2 other groups having a battle of the bands. One group was playing their music louder than the others & of course they were playing different songs. The later the evening went on the louder it got. The girls finally had enough & everyone went back to their rooms for the night.
IMG_1673.JPEG

IMG_1674.JPEG

Last edited:

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, JUNE 21ST

We headed out at 6 for our morning walk. C joined us since her family moved to POR the day before. See the bridge? Since it was still normally a bit dark when we would be near it we would see bats flying around there. C totally freaked out & after this day we had to do a different route so we didn't run into them anymore. Can't say I blame her--I don't care for the swooping around me either. Her fear is that one will get caught in her hair.
IMG_1675.JPEG

I was completely appalled to see this. That guy was fishing! They have a fishing hole there but it's nowhere in the area he is in. I think he was just trying to sneak in some casts while there weren't many people out. That's just wrong though. I have stayed at POR many times & this was the first time I ever saw someone step foot on the grass. Shame on him!! @Zipitidoda I didn't feel so funny taking this one since I was quite a bit away from him!!
IMG_1676.JPEG

IMG_1677.PNG

Once I was ready I woke B & R up. I took their orders & headed to the food court. I told B to feel free to turn on the tv while she was getting ready. She told me she probably shouldn't b/c she gets distracted too easily & wouldn't end up getting ready!! I give her credit for at least recognizing it & having the willpower to do the right thing!!

B got a chocolate croissant & R got his usual.
IMG_1678.JPEG

When I got back R had Pandora playing from his phone. "You're Not My Kind of Girl" by New Edition was on. I really like that song & I started singing away. B was looking at me kind of funny. I asked her if she had ever heard the song. She said no(I didn't expect that she would have, she's only 12--it's a little before her time) but asked me who sang it. I told her New Edition & she paused for a moment & said, "Aren't they the ones who sing that song about a telephone?" You go B!! I asked her how she knew that & she said she's heard her mom play it. See--we just don't influence the kids with Motley Crue!!:joyfull:

Quite the empty bus considering it was a few minutes after 9!!
IMG_1679.JPEG

IMG_1680.JPEG

Hello Epcot!!
IMG_1681.JPEG

Hello no security lines!!😄
IMG_1682.JPEG

There must have been some kind of issue b/c we ended up in the room with "Mr. Um, Um" for something like 20 minutes. If he told us to move around one more time I was going to scream. It was sheer torture, let me tell you.

I was 2 weeks ago and we had extended preshow as well. Most of the others in the preshow with us had never ridden. One older lady of that group was convinced it was because people were not standing directly on their numbers and kept fussing/yelling at her group to stay on their number!!

And enjoying your report - as I have all your others!

Last edited:

LeighM

So interesting development: Turns out Dapper Day will be the weekend we come back from the cruise. We were there during this year's Dapper Day but didn't feel like getting dressed up to go into the parks. But this year, we'll be there for the kick off dinner on Friday. Woohoo. I received an email that the convention blocks were ready to reserve so I called this morning. They had a standard room at Riverside for $140 less than the standard I currently have booked at Coronado. But now I'm torn! I'm keeping the Coronado reservation direct with Disney until they release room discounts later in the year just in case the room discounts are better than the convention rate at Riverside. But I'm also keeping the Riverside group reservation in case they don't release good room discounts LOL. So I'm definitely staying at French Quarter before the cruise (first time staying there!) and there's a chance I could be back at Riverside for after the cruise :) Finally making my way back "home" :)

lindawdw

I've never eaten at Whispering Canyon Café but your meals looked delicious that I might have to give it a try one of these trips! We are big fan of WL and love the woodsy feeling of the resort! I think it's so great that you get a nice walk in during the early AM around the resort before the guests start their day. It must feel so peaceful and relaxing at that time! It's amazing how empty your bus was going to Epcot at that time in the morning which is so unusual!!!

riverside

Original Poster
I was 2 weeks ago and we had extended preshow as well. Most of the others in the preshow with us had never ridden. One older lady of that group was convinced it was because people were not standing directly on their numbers and kept fussing/yelling at her group to stay on their number!!

And enjoying your report - as I have all your others!
So you understand my pain then!!:p Didn't it feel like it was never going to end? That's too funny!!
Thank you so much!!
So interesting development: Turns out Dapper Day will be the weekend we come back from the cruise. We were there during this year's Dapper Day but didn't feel like getting dressed up to go into the parks. But this year, we'll be there for the kick off dinner on Friday. Woohoo. I received an email that the convention blocks were ready to reserve so I called this morning. They had a standard room at Riverside for $140 less than the standard I currently have booked at Coronado. But now I'm torn! I'm keeping the Coronado reservation direct with Disney until they release room discounts later in the year just in case the room discounts are better than the convention rate at Riverside. But I'm also keeping the Riverside group reservation in case they don't release good room discounts LOL. So I'm definitely staying at French Quarter before the cruise (first time staying there!) and there's a chance I could be back at Riverside for after the cruise :) Finally making my way back "home" :)
I hope you make it there!! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!! I would be happy staying at French Quarter since it's such a short walk to RIverside.
I've never eaten at Whispering Canyon Café but your meals looked delicious that I might have to give it a try one of these trips! We are big fan of WL and love the woodsy feeling of the resort! I think it's so great that you get a nice walk in during the early AM around the resort before the guests start their day. It must feel so peaceful and relaxing at that time! It's amazing how empty your bus was going to Epcot at that time in the morning which is so unusual!!!
It was very good. The nachos were great & everything that was in my skillet was good also. The only reason I didn't eat the chicken is b/c it was thighs & I don't like them. I really enjoy Riverside & it's especially nice when it's so quiet! We kept commenting on how Epcot was pretty empty all day. It was nice!!

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, JUNE 21ST

Spaceship Earth was a walk on so we rode that first.
IMG_1683.JPEG

IMG_1684.JPEG

Gosh, I look so mean!
IMG_1687.JPEG

Starbucks was in order next. My sister, B, collects the Starbucks mugs from Disney so I picked this up for her. It was then that I realized I forgot to get her the one from AK. I told myself I was going to have to find time to go back there so I could get it.
IMG_1689.JPEG

IMG_1690.JPEG

We had FP's for Soarin.
IMG_1691.JPEG

Hello Patrick!!
IMG_1693.JPEG

IMG_1694.JPEG

IMG_0388.JPEG

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, JUNE 21ST

C's family(minus D) had arrived & we had FP's for LWTL so that was next on the agenda.
IMG_1696.JPEG

IMG_1697.JPEG

IMG_1699.JPEG

IMG_1700.JPEG

The flowers are so pretty!!
IMG_1701.JPEG

IMG_1702.JPEG

Most of the group went on Nemo. I did not but can't remember why. Afterwards we visited with the manatees.
IMG_1703.JPEG

IMG_1704.JPEG

IMG_1705.JPEG

Then we went to Turtle Talk with Crush. It had been a number of years since I saw this so I was excited to see it again! B & I saw it in 2015. I asked her if she remembered & she didn't.
IMG_1708.JPEG

Matt and Kelly

I know Kelly has been following along closely but I'm late to the party. Great report so far! Love the photos of the Riverside area that you walk around. I know when we stayed in the French Quarter last year, I really enjoyed running through Riverside in the mornings. Such different feel to both resorts.

And thanks for the great pics of Wilderness Lodge. Easily my favourite resort on property and the place we are staying in January for Marathon Weekend.

Looking forward to reading more!

riverside

Original Poster
FRIDAY, JUNE 21ST

Mission Space was next. I was the only adult to go on with the kids.
IMG_1709.JPEG

L & E chose the orange version. No thank you!! I chose orange once--that was enough for me!!
IMG_1710.JPEG

B, A & I went green.
IMG_1711.JPEG

Then we went to Test Track. E & J(he's afraid of this)stayed off. D had arrived so the eight of us went on.
IMG_1712.JPEG

IMG_1713.JPEG

IMG_1714.JPEG

This is the car that R designed.
IMG_1715.JPEG

456860387.jpeg

It looks like E got lost in her hair!! I asked R what he was doing in this photo & he said he was trying to imitate his cousin in his Dinosaur picture from the day before. As if I haven't confused you enough already with our family allow me to put the icing on the cake for you. R & D are cousins(their mothers are sisters). So, D is is R's cousin but he's also my BIL since he married my sister. E & A are R's second cousins but my nieces. Do I have you totally confused at this point?
456863331.jpeg

E texted us to tell us to make a big deal of J's hat that he got while we were on the ride. The Camaro is his favorite car & he was so excited to get a Camaro hat & he couldn't wait to show us!!
IMG_1718.JPEG

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom