fairy tale designer collection

party like it's 99

Original Poster
i'm not sure if anyone has posted about this, but i'm interested in hearing others opinions on these dolls. i understand they're a "designer" collection and everything is free to be interpreted and re-imagined, but i feel like disney really should have re thought this one. although the dresses are undoubtedly gorgeous, these are not the relate able princesses little girls know. the mature makeup and even longer more perfect hair (just take a moment and reflect on snow whites long hair and how jasmine is rapunzal status) just doesn't seem to translate well. opinions?
9418193404_3aaafea01f_z.jpg

party like it's 99

Original Poster
but they're still prominently displayed in disney stores with the new nailpolish, notebooks, and clothes. i just thought maybe disney would be more aware of how this an affect their child audience

tinkhag6

You are right that they are in Disney Stores, but the store is not just for kids. In my Disney store there is an adult section and that is where they are displayed. My Daughter is 3 almost 4 and I have 2 of the notebooks and it came with the photos of all the princess and princes and she was able to recognize everyone. I don't think it affects the children like you are thinking it might. My daughter didn't question it one bit except how beautiful they looked. It is just like the Villain collection that I also have, they resemble there character, but not fully. Really apart from the dresses being more fancy, I really don't see the difference as I did in the villains. ( and I love that collection also) I am frankly happy my daughter can have her princess dolls and I can have mine. The nail polish and notebooks, and clothes are all in for adults. Belle looks almost exactly like the one they sell for the kids.

PrincessMia

I have a beautiful, tall, slim 8 year old daughter. I continue to "catch" her looking at herself in the mirror cinching her waste, saying Mulan looks like that. While I am annoyed at the unrealistic appearance of these princesses, I continue to believe that it is my job to teach her that they are cartoons and she is beautiful the way she looks. That said, it breaks my heart just a little to see her do that.

party like it's 99

Original Poster
as i said i completely think the clothes are beautiful and it's the designers job to interpret their work, i just think it's odd when disney tries so hard to promote internal beauty (which they do a great job at) then comes out with this. i'm not gonna lie i was eyeing up the belle notebook too. i am glad to hear that those with young kids haven't seen a negative reaction :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom