FaceTime and Character Integrity

DHoy

Original Poster
Not sure if this has ever been discussed or tried. But Im surprised that in our age of videos and video chats that no one has attempted to facetime their interactions with a character while in separate parks to the another person interacting with the same character. Any thoughts?

NateD1226

That is just not a good idea. It seems a bit dumb that you won't create time out of your day to go see a character you want to see. But hey, if that is what people like to do, I ain't here to stop them.

dcc.gif

BoarderPhreak

Not sure if this has ever been discussed or tried. But Im surprised that in our age of videos and video chats that no one has attempted to facetime their interactions with a character while in separate parks to the another person interacting with the same character. Any thoughts?
lolwhut? 🤪

PeoplemoverTTA

I actually did this 3 years ago at the Character Spot in Epcot. My 3-year old nephew couldn’t go, so we FaceTimed him in. The characters LOVED it. Even our photopass photographer took a picture of Mickey and the phone 😂 It was surprisingly slow that day so we didn’t hold anyone up.

EDIT: just realized I misread this and missed the part about character integrity! I’m in the ER and am exhausted, so I blame it on that. Sorry!

91C669F3-26AE-4EE9-A86F-97D9234AFE7B.jpeg

I would find that really amusing. Or what if you tricked snow white into facetiming the evil queen.
Another thing ive thought about is discussing the emotional tax of their stories with the characters.
"So belle you must have been in a pretty dark place when your father was taken from you??"

Walt Disney1955

I guess while we're at it we can show our kids pictures of who Santa Claus really is...………..(cough, cough, it's daddy).

No seriously, I don't think it is a good idea. I once asked a photographer when I knew there weren't kids around how many "Mickeys" there are in the parks. He said, deadpanning, that there is only one. It was obvious to me he didn't want to spoil it, even for me, or if kids were nearby. That's part of the aura I guess you could say.

Gooft707

I’ve had two families walk up with FaceTime rolling and Goofy got to say hey to the family or friends on the other side of the phone, it’s fun if it’s only for a few moments and not too long, if it’s too long, our character attendant (PLEASE DON’T CALL THEM OUR HANDLERS) will try to explain to them that it’s time for the next family. Hope this helps!!

Last edited:

Gooft707

I guess while we're at it we can show our kids pictures of who Santa Claus really is...………..(cough, cough, it's daddy).

No seriously, I don't think it is a good idea. I once asked a photographer when I knew there weren't kids around how many "Mickeys" there are in the parks. He said, deadpanning, that there is only one. It was obvious to me he didn't want to spoil it, even for me, or if kids were nearby. That's part of the aura I guess you could say.
Yes, everyone in Entertainment is trained to only say that there is only 1 Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, etc... for one, if there’s a kid around it will ruin the Magic for them, plus we can get in huge trouble if we’re caught telling people the truth, hope this helps!

Last edited:

Gooft707

At that point, I'd hope the handler for the character cuts that interaction off short. Why go so far out of your way ruin the magic? Who do you even impress at that point?
Hello, I’m a performer for Disney World!
yes the attendant would attempt to cut the interaction short in the nicest way possible. Just a heads up though, they like to be called CHARACTER ATTENDANTS, not handlers. Saying handlers is really demeaning towards them, they’re a character attendant because they attend to us and help us when needed. We can handle ourselves :)
Hope this helps!

EOD K9

Hello! I’m a performer in Disney World!(I hang with Goofy a lot, if you get what I’m saying)
Yes, I’ve had two families walk up with FaceTime rolling and Goofy got to say hey to the family or friends on the other side of the phone, it’s fun if it’s only for a few moments and not too long, if it’s too long, our character attendant (PLEASE DON’T CALL THEM OUR HANDLERS) will try to explain to them that it’s time for the next family. Hope this helps!!
You’re a dog, you have a handler! Thanks for the clarification. It it makes you fell better, I do refer to the guards as security hosts.

Smiley/OCD

Hello, I’m a performer for Disney World!
yes the attendant would attempt to cut the interaction short in the nicest way possible. Just a heads up though, they like to be called CHARACTER ATTENDANTS, not handlers. Saying handlers is really demeaning towards them, they’re a character attendant because they attend to us and help us when needed. We can handle ourselves :)
Hope this helps!
First off, welcome to the boards...I'm really NOT trying to be "snarky", but do yourself a favor and DON'T advertise the fact that you're a WDW cast member. Just a word to the wise, (and naive)...Once you hit post, it's out there and "people" read this...I don't want you to get in trouble with your "handlers" i.e. supervisors.

Smiley/OCD

To return to the OP's question, guests spend WAY TOO MUCH time buried in their phones...you're at the most magical place on earth...other than MDE, and an emergency, lift your head up, get off the phone and enjoy yourself!

Mickeyboof

Hello! I’m a performer in Disney World!(I hang with Goofy a lot, if you get what I’m saying)
Yes, I’ve had two families walk up with FaceTime rolling and Goofy got to say hey to the family or friends on the other side of the phone, it’s fun if it’s only for a few moments and not too long, if it’s too long, our character attendant (PLEASE DON’T CALL THEM OUR HANDLERS) will try to explain to them that it’s time for the next family. Hope this helps!!

Hello! I’m not a performer in Disney World!

You didn’t understand the original question (I didn’t quite get it at first read either!)

They aren’t asking if people have FaceTimed during interactions.

They are asking if anyone has come to Goofy (or any other character), pulled out FaceTime to reveal their friends were with a Goofy in a different park at the SAME TIME to ruin the illusion of ONE character.

Captain Barbossa

I'm really NOT trying to be "snarky", but do yourself a favor and DON'T advertise the fact that you're a WDW cast member. Just a word to the wise, (and naive)...Once you hit post, it's out there and "people" read this...I don't want you to get in trouble with your "handlers" i.e. supervisors.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Someone might get a good chewin' out, if not a pink slip.

Gooft707

First off, welcome to the boards...I'm really NOT trying to be "snarky", but do yourself a favor and DON'T advertise the fact that you're a WDW cast member. Just a word to the wise, (and naive)...Once you hit post, it's out there and "people" read this...I don't want you to get in trouble with your "handlers" i.e. supervisors.
Hello, first of all they know that we talk to people outside of the parks about this stuff, as long as we’re not revealing company secrets we’re okay talking to people about advice when entering the parks, it’s not the end of the world telling people we hang out with characters. They appreciate it when we talk to people about how to act around characters, because people tend to leave their brains outside the line or building for some reason when they meet characters. The only reason I reveal that I am a performer is where people know that they’re getting advice from a credible cast member in Entertainment, thank you.

Gooft707

Hello! I’m not a performer in Disney World!

You didn’t understand the original question (I didn’t quite get it at first read either!)

They aren’t asking if people have FaceTimed during interactions.

They are asking if anyone has come to Goofy (or any other character), pulled out FaceTime to reveal their friends were with a Goofy in a different park at the SAME TIME to ruin the illusion of ONE character.

Oh lord I understand now ...
God forbid that happens, but I’ve had trainers tell me stories of how some people attempt it, and their time with the characters ends really fast, I don’t understand why someone would want to ruin that for the other guest

Gooft707

Oh lord I understand now ...
God forbid that happens, but I’ve had trainers tell me stories of how some people attempt it, and their time with the characters ends really fast, I don’t understand why someone would want to ruin that for the other guest
Plus, I would have to give them a quick hand clap before getting mad at them, it would be very difficult to time it just right (One person with Goof in one area, and the other person with Goof in another area).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom