Extreme Park Center Of Tomorrow??

CTXRover

Original Poster
This is sure to ruffle up some feathers (as if they weren't already from today's events)...I recently learned that in the cast member break room at the front entrance to Epcot there is a new banner that reads:

"Epcot: Extreme Park Center of Tomorrow".

Has anyone else seen this or can confirm it? I have no idea who put it up...Imagineers? some CM? Epcot managers? I don't know. If anyone has any info, please let us know. Hopefully that isn't really where they intend to go with Epcot: an "extreme park".

In other Epcot news, apparently the "rumors" around the offices is that the Mickey hand is set to come down in 2008 and will be replaced with a state-of-the-art laser light system that will give the illusion at night that the ball is rotating. Also, there has been survey crews around Morocco for something new.

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by CTXRover
In other Epcot news, apparently the "rumors" around the offices is that the Mickey hand is set to come down in 2008 and will be replaced with a state-of-the-art laser light system that will give the illusion at night that the ball is rotating.

wooo hoooo! i've been waiting for this news! :sohappy: that's exciting! just as long as the laser light system doesn't take away from the look of SSE (during daylight, that is) i'm ALL for it! sounds complex though....not sure how they can make the globe look like it's turning just by using lights, but if anyone can, it's Disney, for sure! (then again, when they put the outlines of the continents on the globe, didn't the continents turn?) can't wait to see what they do with this!

as for the other news...i just dunno. could it have been a joke? my dad works at a power plant, and he's always printing up little funny things and posting them around the plant. but, the 'new name' fits the path Disney's been taking with Epcot lately. i just hope it's all a joke. i'd hate to see my beloved Epcot turn into "Extreme Park Central" ...not that i'm completely against thrill rides, but i just don't think they should be cooped up in one park. they should be sprinkled here and there throughout the property, imo, to give balance.

mledieff

I agree the hand needs to go now. I thought the 2000 was cool but then just take it away. Are the plans still to take out the inside of Spaceship Earth and put a coster/dark ride???

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by mledieff
I agree the hand needs to go now. I thought the 2000 was cool but then just take it away. Are the plans still to take out the inside of Spaceship Earth and put a coster/dark ride???

true, i think the hand needs to go now as well..but i'm just excited that it IS going and will be replaced with something that may actually enhance SSE instead of taking away from it.

as for the SSE 'redo', that fell through, from what i've been hearing. Time Racers was just going to be a post show anyway, but costs ended up being too high and the idea was shelved. but, again, that's just what i've heard.

DisneySaint

All they need to do is refurbish the current ride. For example, the sound system is like a 80's-style walkie talkie. And in other places there is room for more technological advancement and modernization. I believe even the "roof - stars" finalle has room for modernization and make it even more breathtaking.

Just my 2 cents.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
it was probably nothing more than a motivational gimmick for the CM's..

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This is sure to ruffle up some feathers (as if they weren't already from today's events)...I recently learned that in the cast member break room at the front entrance to Epcot there is a new banner that reads:

"Epcot: Extreme Park Center of Tomorrow".

Possible a nod to the opening of Mission Space, and the recent announcement of Soarin. Good motivation for the CMs to have a little fun with. Its always good to come up with new definitions of E P C O T. :)

meanmice

In other Epcot news, apparently the "rumors" around the offices is that the Mickey hand is set to come down in 2008 and will be replaced with a state-of-the-art laser light system that will give the illusion at night that the ball is rotating.

Although not with lazers, they do something like this at the new basketball hall of fame (two seconds from my house). It's neat cuz they can change colors and rotate the lights, but it's just off of the highway and looks a little funny when your driving.

attisb

Originally posted by objr
2008? Why are they waiting so long I wonder....

Interesting bit on the Morocco surveying btw....

I bet the reason they are waiting so long is the cost to put it up. Think about the structure itself cost and the foundation that they had to built to put it up and hold it up must be deep.

This is pretty easy to do. Just take some lights and position them in slightly different places and using a time to produce the movement. It is all based on shadows and SSE has a lot of angles that will produce the shadows.

mikeb_86

This is gust a whay to get people to come as i know it is kina like that but this may be a cm thing!! What do you all meen about the marooco thing? IS that a new thing coming? The hand is coming down man i hope that the lasor thig is going to be good?

mikeb_86

Snapper Bean

Thanks for the Morocco tidbit. I am hopeful that something comes of it. I don't need a thrill ride at all but I think a nice little dark ride or even boat ride would be neat. If I had to take a wild guess, it would be some sort of theatre where they would do the live Aladdin show but that's just a stab. Let us know if you hear more. I'm starved for rumors and insider type gossip. Its been a couple months since announcement day last fall when we got Soarin', Stich Escapes and Moteurs.

Snapper Bean

SirNim

...and will be replaced with a state-of-the-art laser light system that will give the illusion at night that the ball is rotating.
I hope that this information is credible. :sohappy:

WDWFREAK53

They already had lasers shine on SSE after Illuminations...it looked as if the SSE was the Earth and it was rotating. (I believe it could only be seen from INSIDE the park though)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom