Extinct Shops

yankspy

Original Poster
I was just thinking about some of the extinct stores that I used to enjoy at WDW. I have to say that I miss the gourmet pantry in DTD and the house of magic on main street. So my question is, what extinct shops do you miss?:wave:

Figment82

I miss the Centorium dearly. Mouse Gear will always be very near and dear to my heart, but the Centorium was something special.

yankspy

Original Poster
It's kind of funny because as I was reading your post I was looking at my horizons logo puzzle that I got from Centorium. I liked that store a lot as well.:wave:

DivineMadness7

The "store" is still there but the items they sell has changed. When you first enter MGM (DHS, whatever, haha) it is on the left. I can't remember the name but it used to sell a bunch of classic movie merchandise. There was a room that had all Wizard of Oz items, etc. Now it is all movie posters, I believe. The shop at the end of backlot tour also used to sell similar items. I bought 2 tin signs, that were movie posters for "Breakfast at Tiffanys" and "Some Like It Hot."

I like the new ABC merch in there (LOVE Lost) but I miss seeing this stuff. I know you can buy it other places but I always enjoyed it. Even longer ago, I think one of the shops along the main stretch sold movie stuff. I think it was on the right side, somewhere in the middle. All those stores sell now is the general disney stuff you can get almost anywhere. I miss stores having different things. Now they are almost all the same!

wedway71

I loved the Gourment Pantry...We made a special trip there every time we went to WDW.My wife loved the chocolate covered rice crispy treats.

They also had a great selection of wines too.

Centorium...special place for me too.Been to Epcot since 82.

I remember a room or area that was up a floor that you had to take steps up too where they had really cool space age types of games like erector sets on steriods.

wedway71

The "store" is still there but the items they sell has changed. When you first enter MGM (DHS, whatever, haha) it is on the left. I can't remember the name but it used to sell a bunch of classic movie merchandise. There was a room that had all Wizard of Oz items, etc. Now it is all movie posters, I believe. The shop at the end of backlot tour also used to sell similar items. I bought 2 tin signs, that were movie posters for "Breakfast at Tiffanys" and "Some Like It Hot."

I like the new ABC merch in there (LOVE Lost) but I miss seeing this stuff. I know you can buy it other places but I always enjoyed it. Even longer ago, I think one of the shops along the main stretch sold movie stuff. I think it was on the right side, somewhere in the middle. All those stores sell now is the general disney stuff you can get almost anywhere. I miss stores having different things. Now they are almost all the same!

When I come on board I will change that....

Check out my signature....:D

Bug715

Villains in Vogue

I know its still technically there but have you seen how little villains merch they have? Its basically pirates and nightmare before christmas. I love nightmare but its a villians store and I don't see Jack as a villian.

jeffb

I miss the Centorium dearly. Mouse Gear will always be very near and dear to my heart, but the Centorium was something special.

Me too. The two story lay-out was very nice plus I seem to recall an interior sign that featured all the EPCOT Center / attraction logos that was very neat.

It's kind of funny because as I was reading your post I was looking at my horizons logo puzzle that I got from Centorium. I liked that store a lot as well.:wave:

I have a Figment version of that puzzle.

CThaddeus

Ice Station Cool. Club Cool just doesn't have the atmosphere and amazing theming of its predecessor. I love that they still have the free sodas from around the world, but it's just not the same kind of adventure it used to be making my way through the ice cave to get to the goodies.

Scooter

I miss the TABASCO store that was in Downtown Disney.

I Love Tobasco sauce, and they sold Tabasco Shirts, key chains, coasters and other bar supplies and everything else Tabasco there.

I especially liked the tiny little six packs of Tabasco sauce they sold there. They were the perfect size for picnics and travel bags.

yankspy

Original Poster
Does the Penny arcade count as a shop?????
Yes. Although it was not a shop my intention was to remember extinct things that were not attractions. I miss that too.
Me too. The two story lay-out was very nice plus I seem to recall an interior sign that featured all the EPCOT Center / attraction logos that was very neat.

I have a Figment version of that puzzle.

In Martin's communicore video you can see that sign. BTW, you take some great pictures.

MasonDuo

I miss the Disney at Home Store that used to be in DTD. They had such a wide selection of things for your home including bath towels, shower curtains etc. Since the store has been gone the selection of home products (besides kitchen stuff) has really gone down throughout the parks and DTD. :(

Cynderella

Ice Station Cool. Club Cool just doesn't have the atmosphere and amazing theming of its predecessor. I love that they still have the free sodas from around the world, but it's just not the same kind of adventure it used to be making my way through the ice cave to get to the goodies.

I agree. We loved walking through the snow and ice. It was such a great way to get cool :lol: sorry

baz212

Does the Penny arcade count as a shop?????
That was my favorite thing to do on Main Street when I was a kid. My dad would take me there to play while my mom shopped. I miss all the unique stores from main Street.
I miss the Disney at Home Store that used to be in DTD. They had such a wide selection of things for your home including bath towels, shower curtains etc. Since the store has been gone the selection of home products (besides kitchen stuff) has really gone down throughout the parks and DTD. :(
I miss that store. You used to be able to get lamps and stuff too. I have a Mickey lamp in my bedroom from there.

DisneyFan1003

I agree! My wife and I always made that our first stop after the Christmas shop when we went to DTD. On our last trip in December/January, we had to search all over to find little shelves of home items. They need to bring that one back.

We also loved Disney Tails - the pet store. The sign was still there in January, but it's basically two racks of merchandise you can find anywhere. :(

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Do you mean Sid Cahuenga's?

PeoplemoverTTA

I agree with everyone's comments, particularly about Disney at Home, the Centorium (I still vividly remember going upstairs and picking out my Goofy stuffed animal when I was 10), Villains in Vogue (used to be my and my sister's favorite store) and Disney Tails (when they first opened, I got such cute frames and water bowls for my cats; I'm really disappointed in this one).

One I'd like to add is Mickey's Character Shop (am I remembering that name correctly?). Honestly, I don't like the design of World of Disney at all, and this could also just be plain old nostalgia for me, but I also have vivid memories of walking to the Marketplace from the Viscount when I was 8, and buying my Pluto stuffed animal in Mickey's Character Shop. I really wanted a Pluto stuffed animal on that trip, and when I originally checked the mountain of plush toys, there wasn't one in the size I could afford with my little bit of cash (it was $16, if I remember correctly). We were about to leave, and I asked if I could check one more time...someone had actually put one back, likely because there was a small tear on his tail. I bought it and was overjoyed.

In 2006, after a huge storm hit Buffalo, my parents' basement flooded, and as I helped my parents sort through stuff in the basement (and sadly, threw many items away because of water damage), I found that Pluto and got misty as I told my mom the story. Sure enough, that tiny little tear was there, and had never gotten worse in 18 years (so the kid who put it back because of the tear shouldn't have been so worried :D).

Okay, that story took way too long, sorry :eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom