Extended Queue Lines through Backstage

ColinDLR

Original Poster
When visiting Studios last week, around New Year's, and waiting in around a 95-100 minute wait in the early morning for Smuggler's Run, I was disappointed to see the queue lines (which were wayyy out of the queue entrance) wind through not only the backstage areas between Galaxy's Edge and Toy Story Land on both sides of the walkway (behind Lunch Box and Saucers), but also through the giant backstage gate to the right hand side of the Falcon. This gate was also wide open for all guests in the land to see out. I know what backstage and behind show buildings look like, we all do, but it still takes away from the most immersive land Disney has ever built. I heard guests jokingly say "There goes the magic!" and similar comments. Seeing a guy unloading a truck, and then turning around and seeing the Millennium Falcon is definitely disorienting. There's even a sign, typical for backstage gates, that reads 'Do not open this gate until calling this phone number and clearing that all guests have left the park.' If Disney is so concerned then why are they choosing to do this? I understand Crowd Control, but is there no other way to form a line leading into the ride? I mean the amount of queue in the backstage areas is so limited, there must be another place to put these lines. Grand Avenue sidewalk before entering the land or doing two more cattlepins in the Toy Story land backstage instead of using the Falcon gate? It just seems so uncharacteristic of Disney. I read somewhere else online that really the falcon queue only holds about 40 mins of queue, but there is no fastpass yet so it theoretically holds 80+ mins of line, which is still very under.

Purduevian

Part of the issue is modern lines are not built to sustain long waits without FP+. For instance, if Smugglers runs through 1500 people per hour...
A 120 minute wait without fastpass has 3000 people in it.
A 120 minute wait with 50% fatspass distribution has 1500 people in in.

Disney has to figure out where the extra 1500 people go for the same wait time.

peter11435

Part of the issue is modern lines are not built to sustain long waits without FP+. For instance, if Smugglers runs through 1500 people per hour...
A 120 minute wait without fastpass has 3000 people in it.
A 120 minute wait with 50% fatspass distribution has 1500 people in in.

Disney has to figure out where the extra 1500 people go for the same wait time.
Correct

And fastpass distribution is significantly higher than 50%

Lilofan

Agreed its poor show and shouldn't happen. For whatever reason, operations sometimes makes decisions that are very much against the traditions of the company. Taking the easy way out appears to becoming more prevalent.
There was a time long ago that on going construction did not take place during park and resort day time operating hours due to bad show. That surely was a thing of the past.

peter11435

There was a time long ago that on going construction did not take place during park and resort day time operating hours due to bad show. That surely was a thing of the past.
Except there are pictures from disneyland in the 1950’s and 60’s that show active construction and painting in the park around guests while the park was open.

Here’s a picture from nearly 40 years ago of them actively putting up and decorating the magic kingdom Christmas tree while the park was open.

1578497683544.jpeg

I agree though that guests should not be being routed backstage. But let’s not pretend that work was never done during park hours long ago because that’s simply not true.

tissandtully

Agreed its poor show and shouldn't happen. For whatever reason, operations sometimes makes decisions that are very much against the traditions of the company. Taking the easy way out appears to becoming more prevalent.
Especially after what I've seen this week of ops running RotR without the ITS scene. I'm flabbergasted.

ColinDLR

Original Poster
Especially after what I've seen this week of ops running RotR without the ITS scene. I'm flabbergasted.

While I agree with the poor show stuff, people would attack Disney whether the ride was closed or the ship scene isn't running. While it takes away from the experience, people are hard to please, and the mobs of people that would be turned away from boarding groups is not worth it as a massive PR nightmare

tissandtully

While I agree with the poor show stuff, people would attack Disney whether the ride was closed or the ship scene isn't running. While it takes away from the experience, people are hard to please, and the mobs of people that would be turned away from boarding groups is not worth it as a massive PR nightmare
Nah, it wasn’t down for that long. It’s an integral part of the show. People who went on without that part got a subpar and incomplete experience. Show should have gone 101.

JoeCamel

Better off closed than not delivering the full experience. The shuttle is a large part of the story.

ColinDLR

Original Poster
Better off closed than not delivering the full experience. The shuttle is a large part of the story.

I agree with that too. That same door reveal is amazing. To be fair, the total queue line of RotR, while I didn't get a good look at the entire outside part, probably isn't much longer than Smuggler's Run's. (to the BB8 Room)

TrainsOfDisney

This is what it looked like. Totally unacceptable and I don’t understand why it’s being done. Same for running Rise... if the attraction is down it’s down. If the parks just considers that a pre-show and not part of the experience they paid way too much money for it.

Attachments

• E18EB72A-9A84-4F42-871B-A34BA620AABA.jpeg
    E18EB72A-9A84-4F42-871B-A34BA620AABA.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 214

ColinDLR

Original Poster
This is what it looked like. Totally unacceptable and I don’t understand why it’s being done. Same for running Rise... if the attraction is down it’s down. If the parks just considers that a pre-show and not part of the experience they paid way too much money for it.
It's just so unnecessary because the amount of queue out there is so minimal. It's just so unusual for them. Is there no other place in all of the park to put one more cattlepin down?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom