Expedition Everest: The Last of its Kind?

Is Expedition Everest the last new non-IP attraction we will see in WDW?

• Yes

Votes: 33 35.5%
  • No

Votes: 60 64.5%

• Total voters

Dunston

Original Poster
Is Expedition Everest, which opened over ten years ago, the last non-IP attraction we will see in Walt Disney World? It is really a shame that originally themed lands and attractions are a thing of the past, but that seems to be the direction in which the parks, at least the Orlando parks, are going.
The only other attraction that comes to mind is the refurbished Test Track, which was a popular, already-existing attraction. The cancelling of the Main Street Theater project is not very encouraging.
Universal Studios Florida has recognized guests' complaints about their parks' over-reliance on screenz, and insiders have said that future attractions there are being planned with that in mind. The new Potter coaster and Nintendo Land in particular are responses to that. I really wonder if general public will have a similar reaction by the time 2021 comes around and Guardians of the Epcot opens.

eliza61nyc

A third option will be "no one will ever know". Business react to trends. right now "super heros" are all the rage and will be for some time. Even one of my favorite animated movies, the Incredibles, is a take on the super hero thing.

When that runs out of steam and the public responds to something else, Disney will move in that direction.

But I've got no horse in this particular race. I'm not hung up on this non IP attraction parade. A good ride imo is a good ride and if based on a movie I really could care less.

TwilightZone

I believe no because due to toy story land and star wars land being built, it will allow tomorrowland to have new non ip attractions. And epcot has figment, who may or may not get a new attraction of some sort.

kap91

The industry goes through trends every 15-20 years and currently we’re in an IP trend. There will come a time though when all the big franchises have their attractions, or when a new CEO arrives with different ideas about business management, etc. The only constant is change and assuming Disney is around for a long time then it seems inevitable original attractions will surface again.

LUVofDIS

I don't have a problem with IP or non IP, I agree with the others, a ride that is enjoyable is just that. It doesn't matter if FoP is part of Avatar or if the ride was called Flight of the Pteranodon. Though that would be pretty cool.

The one benefit of a IP ride is that people can associate with before it even opens. Look at Toy Story land and Star Wars. There are people who will go just because they love the movies.

Than there are those of us that could care less about the movie(s) and enjoy the attraction for what it is.

I am sure there has been people who would have never gone to Universal if it had not been for Harry Potter.

I think in the end the attraction needs to stand on its own. If it is poorly done no franchise will make it great.

Cmdr_Crimson

Well, if they stayed the course similar to Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong & Shanghai we could have seen amazing themed non IP Storydriven lands with really unique rides....
giphy.webp

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Isn't both China and France getting a new film for their pavilions? Would those not count as "new" IP-Based Attractions?

Also what about Rivers of Light? Does that not count?

NickWilde

I could see AK getting non-IP stuff just because IP's don't lend themselves super well to that park. But new attractions at the other 3 will be all IP's for some time.

Actually, I could see AK getting a land themed after Zootopia, as its one of the few IPs that fits into the theme of the park. And as a MASSIVE fan of the franchise, I would love to see something like this happen. Granted, I’m always for original attractions over IP-based ones, but this is an exception.

Kitchandro

A third option will be "no one will ever know". Business react to trends. right now "super heros" are all the rage and will be for some time. Even one of my favorite animated movies, the Incredibles, is a take on the super hero thing.

When that runs out of steam and the public responds to something else, Disney will move in that direction.

But I've got no horse in this particular race. I'm not hung up on this non IP attraction parade. A good ride imo is a good ride and if based on a movie I really could care less.

The point is a lot of these rides aren't particularly good but they're green-lighted anyway because they are based on films. Disney and Universal feel that people are attracted to certain films (in fact any films, Avatar was hardly a fan favourite) and that's the pulling power rather than the quality of the ride.

A good ride is made up of a lot of factors but the atmosphere is probably the most important thing. Therefore I'm actually put off rides if they're based on films I don't like (and the whole superhero genre I find off-putting). I'll avoid Avatar and Guardians of the Galaxy because I don't like the films, don't identify with the characters and don't like the atmosphere of it. And if I haven't seen the films, does the attraction explain it to me so I get the context of it all or am I going to be missing the point?

Even when it's a film I do like it doesn't always work. When they changed Pirates of the Carribean to be in line with the films it became muddled and the mood was all off. Indiana Jones may be a more popular than Dinosaur, but Dinosaur is the superior version of the same ride system, so obviously the storyline and theming does make a difference. So if they were to replace Dinosaur with the Indiana Jones ride, purely because Indiana Jones is more profitable, I'm not going to be very happy.

The problem is Disney and Universal are now putting the films first rather than the ride experiences. Back in the day very few of the big Disney rides were based on films and that allowed for more imagination and original storylines that fit perfectly with the ride system. Now you're getting one group trying to plug a film, another group trying to plug a new ride innovation, and they're just sort of meeting in the middle with a mish-mash of an attraction that satisfies on neither level.

It's going to be a huge shame when most of Disney and Universal's best rides have been replaced by unworthy successors that are based around films that did well in the box office.

TwilightZone

Indiana Jones may be a more popular than Dinosaur, but Dinosaur is the superior version of the same ride system, so obviously the storyline and theming does make a difference. So if they were to replace Dinosaur with the Indiana Jones ride, purely because Indiana Jones is more profitable, I'm not going to be very happy.
I hate to break it to you, but dinosaur is an IP ride. It's based on a sub-par movie from 2000, think avatar before avatar.
Back in the day very few of the big Disney rides were based on films and that allowed for more imagination and original storylines that fit perfectly with the ride system.
Every land in disneyland is based on one of walt's movies or tv specials. Even rides people don't think are based on IPs, such as matterhorn, are.
It's going to be a huge shame when most of Disney and Universal's best rides have been replaced by unworthy successors that are based around films that did well in the box office.
Some of these replaced rides did not do well in the box office, or did not have one to begin with. Dinosaur, Mission Space, and Jimmy Fallon come to mind.

Cmdr_Crimson

I hate to break it to you, but dinosaur is an IP ride. It's based on a sub-par movie from 2000, think avatar before avatar.
Instead of that......Think Jurassic Park without the Human Actors...

Hard to believe that film had an "Unofficial" sequel done by the same director of Dinosaur (And considering it's a 20th century Fox film) it's now technically a Disney film...
walking_with_dinosaurs_movie_poster.jpg

Tony the Tigger

Is Expedition Everest, which opened over ten years ago, the last non-IP attraction we will see in Walt Disney World?

If “the last of its kind” referred to it being broken, I would hope yes.

Since you explained it was about being non-IP (although they hardly invented the Yeti) then I would hope no.

That’s only considered a problem on these and other boards. The “general public“ parents bringing their kids are never going to be upset to see more characters their kids love.

James J

In the Parks
No
Instead of that......Think Jurassic Park without the Human Actors...

Hard to believe that film had an "Unofficial" sequel done by the same director of Dinosaur (And considering it's a 20th century Fox film) it's now technically a Disney film...
walking_with_dinosaurs_movie_poster.jpg

Is it an unofficial sequel though? It's not the same directors; the only Disney tie relating to one of the directors of Walking with Dinosaurs is that he co-directed Mulan. It was also produced by BBC Earth, just distributed by Fox and the title of the movie comes from the BBC series with the same name.

Cmdr_Crimson

Is it an unofficial sequel though? It's not the same directors; the only Disney tie relating to one of the directors of Walking with Dinosaurs is that he co-directed Mulan. It was also produced by BBC Earth, just distributed by Fox and the title of the movie comes from the BBC series with the same name.
Ahh, that was the reason...My bad, I swore I had heard someone who worked on Dinosaur did that film...

eliza61nyc

The point is a lot of these rides aren't particularly good but they're green-lighted anyway because they are based on films. Disney and Universal feel that people are attracted to certain films (in fact any films, Avatar was hardly a fan favourite) and that's the pulling power rather than the quality of the ride.

A good ride is made up of a lot of factors but the atmosphere is probably the most important thing. Therefore I'm actually put off rides if they're based on films I don't like (and the whole superhero genre I find off-putting). I'll avoid Avatar and Guardians of the Galaxy because I don't like the films, don't identify with the characters and don't like the atmosphere of it. And if I haven't seen the films, does the attraction explain it to me so I get the context of it all or am I going to be missing the point?

Even when it's a film I do like it doesn't always work. When they changed Pirates of the Carribean to be in line with the films it became muddled and the mood was all off. Indiana Jones may be a more popular than Dinosaur, but Dinosaur is the superior version of the same ride system, so obviously the storyline and theming does make a difference. So if they were to replace Dinosaur with the Indiana Jones ride, pu

I guess that's part of my problem, I don't have any background for this "before" and "after" in rides. I love POTC but I did not have this deep "understanding" of the ride. I thought it was great when I first went on it and still think it's a great ride. I think the addition of Johnny Depp did not harm the ride and I really don't get the uproar of losing the red head. it's as enjoyable now to me as it was when I first went on it. the atmosphere is exactly the same for me.

I've never been on the indiana jones ride in California so I can't comment on that but I do love the dinosaur ride. I was slap happy with the call to get rid of The great movie ride. I found it old and boring. now I do agree that maybe instead of getting rid of it they could have just update it but I'm not sad its gone.

so maybe my problem is I don't know a "good" ride. I can't relate to the "E"Ticket thing and liking a ride isn't dependent on me liking the movie. I never saw Pandora until I went on fop, but still loved FOP from the first and I think the entire area is brillant. never saw GOTG but am looking forward to see what they come up with. actually not seeing the movie may help as I'll have nothing to compare whether they got it right or no.

I suspect I'll enjoy the slinky rollercoaster and the fact that is has an visible track or it's only a "C ticket" ride?? will be of little consequence to me. I did love the toy story franchise.

Ironically EE is the only ride in Animal kingdom I don't do. it makes me sick.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom