Expedition Everest Challenge Questions!

FanofDinsey1981

Original Poster
Hey Everyone,

I am looking into doing the Expedition Everest Challenge this june, and wonder if anyone has any more info then what is posted online (http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/expedition-everest-challenge/)

I am going to try to get my sister or brother in law to run it with me so I can make it a bit more fun. Am I safe in assuming the obsticle course is within the 5K? and the scavenger hunt follows?

Any useful insights would be greatly appreciated!!!

JillC LI

I don't think you can tell for sure from this description whether the scavenger hunt will be during or after the race. What I CAN tell you is that last October I ran the final Tower of Terror 13K race. It was a night-time race which was neat, and they announced there would be a mystery to solve during the race. I wasn't sure how they would arrange this, but I wasn't impressed. At the start of the race and at each mile marker was a clue as to the identity of a so-called killer. On our racing bibs were the names of all the potential killers with a place to pop out a hole if you had eliminated someone as a possibility. I am not a fast runner by any means, and I had no illusions of winning this race, but I still found it impossible to figure out all the clues, punch holes out of my bib, and run the race at a constant pace at the same time. I thought it was very lame. I was glad I ran the race just for the experience of running a race at Disney (that just happened to fall during our vacation!) and to be able to have free reign of DHS after the race, but the Mystery Tour during the race was silly.

My point in telling you this is that I don't think you should assume that the scavenger hunt will be AFTER the race. It may very well be during the race. I think that the obstacle course and scavenger hunt sounds much more cool than our silly mystery tour. I hope you enjoy the race, but if you plan to do all the activities they offer during it, plan on doing less actual racing, and just enjoy it for the experience. Also, another note, the 13K course was VERY crowded and narrow for the first 3 miles or so (at least for slower runners), so I would imagine that the entire 5K race course will be rather crowded.

Again, I have no definitive information for you, so maybe someone else can be more helpful. These were just my impressions of my Disney race last Fall.
Jill

FanofDinsey1981

Original Poster
Thank you Jill! I think I will just have to expect the unexpected. I am not sure i would have liked the 'mystery' portion of the tower of terror run, i am clumsy and would have proabably tripped over someone when looking down at my race bib!

I did look at doing the TOT run, but I think I am going to hold out and do the half marathon either next Jan or March. I want my first half marathon to be on 'home turf' in disney!

Strmyweather21

My husband and I are registered for the challenge this June. This will be our first time at WDW, so we are very excited about the whole experience! It sounds to me that the scavenger hunt will be after but the obstacle course will be DURING the 5K. Who knows? Like you said, expect the unexpected. I'm more worried about running in Florida in June! I'm an L.A. girl, we're used to 100+ temps but low humidity. Any tips for training to run in the Flordia heat?

Horizonstta

Last year, after the running portion, you immediately went to the obstacle course (net wall, balance beam, low net to crawl under, and a tall beam to pull yourself over). After finishing, you walk into the park and complete the scavenger hunt and, once you finish, you can stay in the park for the after-event party.

wdwmagic_icon_idea.gif

cally1973

I have ran it both times they have had it. The race starts in the parking lot, goes around the lot, thru Discovery Island, out to Conversation Station, then back, around near Asia, then back toward the front, then back stage behind Dinosaur, back to the finish for the 5k. After the race you do the obstacle course which is in the parking lot also. Then back into the park to answer your questions. After you answer them you head to the final finish line. Then enjoy the party. Help this all helps.

HollyBelle

We participated in the Inaugural Everest Challenge and really enjoyed it. Like others have said, you go straight from the 5K into the obstacle course and then from there, back into the park for the scavenger hunt. I included a rather detailed review in my trip report with pictures of the medal and scavenger hunt questions. It can be found here:

I wrotehttp://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=3207732&postcount=59

One thing to note is that your total time (for all three: run/obstacle/scavenger hunt) is what's calculated. The clock doesn't stop when you cross the finish for the 5K. So if you want to know your 5K time, make sure you make a mental note at that point.

The only reason I wouldn't do it again is because there were NO characters before, during or after the event. And I run for the characters! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom