News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

Missing20K

Those same scientists report finding a cure for cancer and will be able to eradicate all cancer starting within a year.....
giphy.gif

JohnD

When the defined contributions plan was offered back in the early 2000s, I ran the numbers and said no. I was getting too close to my 30 years and didn't want to take the risk, as I was going to go into the DROP. I had to do so by 57 years of age, as I would reach 30 years of service first and not turning 62.

My first job in state government was with the Governor's Office in 2002. That's the inaugural year of the defined contributions (investment) plan. Who knew I would still be with the state in a state agency 18 years later? So, now I'm giving serious consideration to making my 2nd election to the defined benefits (pension) plan.

Parker in NYC

My BIL retired just before the Crash of 87, and his portfolio recovered. He survived the Crash of 2000, and his portfolio recovered. He survived the recession of 2008, and his portfolio recovered. He may not have time to recover from this one, but that just means his children will have a smaller inheritance.

By recovered, I mean that his retirement account not only went back to where it started, but also made gains. I have a Mutual Fund that I started around 1990 that is worth 6x as much now - it did go way down with each market drop, but recovered.

It is still scary to see your account balance keep dropping - even though you've been through it before.

Thanks for addressing this, @The Mom . I don't know anything about the market and was just going from what my father was telling me (in drips and drabs). I'm getting a better understanding now.

The Mom

Premium Member
Well, the whole retirement investment conversation was interesting, and I am also guilty of continuing the drift off topic, so does anyone have any further info about any US Disney cutbacks, etc?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Hearing Tokyo is closing down as well now starting tomorrow through (at least) mid-March. That means for at least two weeks, 1/3 of all Disney (dry) parks worldwide will be closed.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Those same scientists report finding a cure for cancer and will be able to eradicate all cancer starting within a year.....
The article I saw said they were about to begin a several-year human trials period.

And the basis of the MiGal group's optimism on the coronavirus vaccine is direct work on other coronaviruses... so if they can fast-track a vaccine for the novel coronavirus, I'd say it will lessen the impact on US parks and speed re-opening of closed Asian parks (to keep this comment on topic).

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
And the basis of their optimism on the coronavirus vaccine is direct work on other coronaviruses...

yep...essentially, they did not have to start from scratch. Issue is...trials take forever so any vaccine will likely have no affect on this particular outbreak. But if they can prevent future outbreaks...that would be awesome...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It's too bad this years immunization was quite ineffective.

From what I read on the CDC's website, part of the issue with the shot's efficacy earlier in the season was that the vaccine wasn't effective in preventing infection from the prevalent strain at the time, B/Victoria. But is effective against H1N1, which is the dominant strain at this time.

Piebald

I'm sensing Paris closure within three days.🔮
Do you have inside info or just assuming that'll happen? I'd be shocked to see it come to that. The Asian parks make sense as they're at the mercy of the respective governments/majority ownership. Japan especially is just being very careful with this because them losing the Olympics will be catastrophic from a societal standpoint as well as economically.

Jrn14

Just a gut feeling The government in Switzerland has banned any events with more than 1,000 people...I'm expecting the numbers in Germany and France to continue to grow significantly. I know absolutely nothing... I just have a feeling (take everything I say with a grain of salt)

WDW Pro

Just a gut feeling The government in Switzerland has banned any events with more than 1,000 people...I'm expecting the numbers in Germany and France to continue to grow significantly. I know absolutely nothing... I just have a feeling (take everything I say with a grain of salt)

I'm told Chapek is in meetings this weekend about potential Paris closures. It's not there yet, but it could be forced by the French government or even the EU in the days to come (if crowd sizes become part of government mandates). Disney is particularly vulnerable to the coronavirus outbreak due to its public entertainment nature; the damage to the company cannot be overstated given that it makes its largest revenues on theme parks and movies. While you shouldn't panic due to the coronavirus, Disney as a company could take major financial hits over the next few months.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Did your gut tell you that after reading about the cancellation of the Geneva Car Show for that very reason? ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom