News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Now Tokyo Disney Resorts are closing from 2/29-3/15.

F77A3052-03C4-4954-A063-B3546BBBEA16.jpeg

That's exactly what has happened to me, we originally had a trip booked to Shanghai Disneyland in April but have switched our plans to now visit Tokyo for the opening of Beauty and the Beast instead. Luckily everything we booked (Including on-site accommodation) included free cancellations.

This decision of mine hasn't aged well... The chance of it reopening in two weeks seems unlikely, as that's when Spring Break starts in Japan and there will be a ton of students out and about every day.

Shouldn't really effect Disney as much as the other 2 parks as it's owned by a different company.
The Tokyo Disney Resort is pretty much pure profit for Disney though, someone else pays for everything and they reap the licensing fees. Disney is only losing money with Tokyo being closed with Shanghai and Hong Kong they will be saving some money with wages and such even though they'll still lose out overall.

thecouch

I would say it would be at least a few weeks a away even if numbers in USA started going up by the 100s over night. I'm think a month to 2 months will be the test

PK2

I'm now 40:60 on whether the parks will be open in May when my trip is scheduled. Leaning towards that they'll be closed down then. Still, there is a lot that can happen in that period of time, both good and bad. You're almost certainly okay for the next couple of weeks, at least.

It's hard to underestimate how much of a financial hit WDW & Disney would take closing over this. They'll only do it if it's really necessary or if outside conditions get such that there's no point staying open.

lisa12000

Ahhh I have a trip at the end of April and I’m now becoming resigned to not going tbh - I guess it’s not just about the parks closing but also whether it spirals out of control in your home country and restrictions are put in place on travel. Obviously things aren’t too bad in the uk atm but that could change in an instant really.

so hoping for the best and fearing the worst really - but still remaining healthy more important than a trip anyway however disappointing.

durangojim

We have 3 upcoming trips to WDW this year - April for the Star Wars Run, mid July, and then November for the wine and dine run. The one I’m most concerned about is April. It will be very interesting to see what happens. The good news is this virus does not seem to be any more deadly than influenza, which is bad, but not Spanish Flu bad.

celluloid

The US is hard to tell because California is dramatic but the State is in a State of Emergency right now so Disneyland would likely be the first of the Disney parks to close if it does.

Gringrinngghost

just a quick FYI , from Japan, Schools are being closed two weeks early. Spring break was going to start in roughly two weeks. Its not really correct to say School was cancelled for a month. Students are still being given homework and if they dont understand it they can call the teacher who still has to come to the school to help them.
Japan also did have some critical missteps such as not testing everyone. Additionally, due to Japans reported lackluster guidelines, some Hospitals are not testing at all and Abe is getting anger over his actions.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The US is hard to tell because California is dramatic but the State is in a State of Emergency right now so Disneyland would likely be the first of the Disney parks to close if it does.

Getting a little ahead of yourself perhaps?

Remember when schools used to rarely close unless there was a lot of snow on the ground? Then it became if it snowed at all they would close? And now it's just the threat of snow closing schools? Perhaps some people are being whipped into a frenzy unnecessarily?

seascape

The Walt Disney Company is doing the right thing closing Shanghai, Hong Kong and now with the Oriental Land Company the Tokyo parks. I would hate to see the lawsuits over a wide spread of Covid19 starting in a Disney Park. However. I have to wonder about other companies who have not closed their parks in Asia. Is it they don't care about their customers or are they just greedy? In my opinion, Disney is building goodwill that will pay off massively in the future. Covid19 will pass and the world will go on. This is not the end but a great opportunity for companies and individuals who can see past tomorrow and to years in the future.

Lilofan

The Walt Disney Company is doing the right thing closing Shanghai, Hong Kong and now with the Oriental Land Company the Tokyo parks. I would hate to see the lawsuits over a wide spread of Covid19 starting in a Disney Park. However. I have to wonder about other companies who have not closed their parks in Asia. Is it they don't care about their customers or are they just greedy? In my opinion, Disney is building goodwill that will pay off massively in the future. Covid19 will pass and the world will go on. This is not the end but a great opportunity for companies and individuals we jo csn see past tomorrow and to years in the future.
Japan parks are closed also.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom