News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

LSLS

I had no idea so many forum members had their Ph.D in Infectious Diseases and taught Immunology at major research universities

Maybe not, but this guy seems like sort of an expert:

In fact, in the midst of flu season, Dr. Gordon says the flu should be of greater concern to the public right now.

For those not wanting to click the article, Dr. Gordon is Dr. Stephen Gordon, chairman of the department of Infectious Disease at the Cleveland Clinic, and Fellow of the Infectious Disease Society of America

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-new-coronavirus-what-is-it-and-should-you-worry/

Lilofan

Walt Disney World told some cast members to stay home because of their recent trip to Italy and the possibility of coronavirus infection.

A small number of workers, not all Disney employees, were told to stay home, a Walt Disney spokesperson said. The exact number of employees was not said.

As of Wednesday, there were no confirmed or suspected cases of novel coronavirus, known as COVID-19, Disney said. Those who went on the trip to Italy are not showing any symptoms.
There is also a continent of cast from China and Italy working in Epcot that work on contracted employment.

lazyboy97o

Dr Tedros also told reporters that US President Donald Trump was not wrong to compare the new coronavirus to flu.

"If I’m asked to advise communities about to prevent this virus, I would give them the same advice as I give for flu – wash hands with soap, don't touch your face, keep 6ft distance etc," he said at the daily WHO press conference”

And

“So far, the new coronavirus, dubbed COVID-19, has led to more than 75,000 illnesses and 2,000 deaths, primarily in mainland China. But that's nothing compared with the flu, also called influenza. In the U.S. alone, the flu has already caused an estimated 26 million illnesses, 250,000 hospitalizations and 14,000 deaths this season, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). “

Just to keep things in perspective as opposed to the mass media frenzy.
While the absolute numbers for the flu are significantly higher, the concern is the percentages.

ToTBellHop

I had no idea so many forum members had their Ph.D in Infectious Diseases and taught Immunology at major research universities
Little-known fact: 432 of the previous 434 Disney CEOs had a Ph.D. in Epidemiology, a M.A. in Queue Management and a M.S. in Ride Buildingology. They all came here to spend time with family.

Also, welcome, Bob and good luck on your presidential run!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
While the absolute numbers for the flu are significantly higher, the concern is the percentages.
To be honest, the flu is the norm over here. Everyone gets it, such is life. Corona has more risk to a certain demographic it seems but the mass press hysteria should be nipped in the bud now. We call it tabloid reporting. You may call it National Enquirer?

Lilofan

To be honest, the flu is the norm over here. Everyone gets it, such is life. Corona has more risk to a certain demographic it seems but the mass press hysteria should be nipped in the bud now. We call it tabloid reporting. You may call it National Enquirer?
Whatever we decide to call it it is affecting world economies, 401Ks, stock markets, business and leisure travel and overall business in our everyday lives. Does the common flu have this much impact?? Doesn't sound like tabloids to me...

Missing20K

No one has a PhD in Infectious Disease.

Doctors of Infectious Disease are MD/DOs

There are PhDs in Microbiology and Epidemiology who would be expects in this area.
First, it was a light-hearted attempt at humor.

Second...
https://publichealth.pitt.edu/infectious-diseases-and-microbiology/academics/phd
https://publichealth.berkeley.edu/a...inology/infectious-diseases-and-immunity-phd/
https://www.jhsph.edu/departments/epidemiology/tracks/infectious-disease-epidemiology/

Third...
Arguing semantics is boring.

Phicinfan

Whatever we decide to call it it is affecting world economies, 401Ks, stock markets, business and leisure travel and overall business in our everyday lives. Does the common flu have this much impact?? Doesn't sound like tabloids to me...
The point you seem to be missing is, the regular flu we all face year in and year out has much more significant numbers globally even deaths than the Corona virus. The reason for the panic is the sudden non-stop noise from the news covering this and making it seem like ebola.

It is a flu virus, one we are not known of, and it has had significant impact on some, but it is NOT the end of the world.

As for the Market, you have other issues than just news, some industry is greatly effected by Chinese businesses being closed and not getting the materials we need

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom