News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
It’s these kinds of labor cuts (*Thanks be to Chapek*) that will save TWDC from certain doom/bankruptcy and ensure shareholder value remains solid (*Thanks be to Iger*).

Not saying I don’t understand the mandate, I do. I’m just lamenting the mismanagement of the parks in general that “require” these cuts in order to make quarterly numbers rosy for stock analysts. Maybe I’m way off-target, correct me if I’m wrong and I’ll admit it. But I don’t think I am.

Mouse Trap

It’s these kinds of labor cuts (*Thanks be to Chapek*) that will save TWDC from certain doom/bankruptcy and ensure shareholder value remains solid (*Thanks be to Iger*).

Not saying I don’t understand the mandate, I do. I’m just lamenting the mismanagement of the parks in general that “require” these cuts in order to make quarterly numbers rosy for stock analysts. Maybe I’m way off-target, correct me if I’m wrong and I’ll admit it. But I don’t think I am.

Maybe I'm missing the joke, but Parks & Experiences account for BILLIONS in revenue/profit each quarter. The closure of the Asian parks is estimated to cost hundreds of millions -- Disney still makes out a handsome profit even with these parks being closed. There is no danger of bankruptcy right now.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Looks good in meetings too. They won't say they cut 2 hours of labor, they'll say they reduced labor costs by 18%!
Yes, and to be fair to them, they are minimizing impact on guests. We can debate whether the company needs to make the cuts, but the folks shaving an hour off a show’s hours aren’t involved in that conversation. They just do what they’re told and try to limit impact. 7 shows losing an hour is better than losing one show (potentially) forever. I would have preferred this technique over removing Great Moments in History...

Last edited:

CJR

When an entire continent is shut down from most forms public entertainment, it's logical that a worldwide entertainment company will cut costs as best it can to reduce losses.

It would have been a great time to roll out Disney Plus there. Stuck indoors? Subscribe. Missed that opportunity.

DDLand

When an entire continent is shut down from most forms public entertainment, it's logical that a worldwide entertainment company will cut costs as best it can to reduce losses.
No, it is not. What if the Amazon Marketplace had a bad quarter? Could you imagine Bezos going “crap let’s slowdown all Amazon Web Services servers to cut cost!”

Aon, Adobe, Airbnb, Alcatel-Lucent, AOL, Acquia, AdRoll, AEG, Alert Logic, Autodesk, Bitdefender, BMW, British Gas, Baidu, Bristol-Myers Squibb, Canon, Capital One, Channel 4, Chef, Citrix, Coinbase, Comcast, Coursera, Disney, Docker, Dow Jones, European Space Agency, ESPN, Expedia, Financial Times, FINRA, General Electric, GoSquared, Guardian News & Media, Harvard Medical School, Hearst Corporation, Hitachi, HTC, IMDb, International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research, International Civil Aviation Organization, ITV, iZettle, Johnson & Johnson, JustGiving, JWT, Kaplan, Kellogg’s, Lamborghini, Lonely Planet, Lyft, Made.com, McDonalds, NASA, NASDAQ OMX, National Rail Enquiries, National Trust, Netflix, News International, News UK, Nokia, Nordstrom, Novartis, Pfizer, Philips, Pinterest, Quantas, Reddit, Sage, Samsung, SAP, Schneider Electric, Scribd, Securitas Direct, Siemens, Slack, Sony, SoundCloud, Spotify, Square Enix, Tata Motors, The Weather Company, Twitch, Turner Broadcasting,Ticketmaster, Time Inc., Trainline, Ubisoft, UCAS, Unilever, US Department of State, USDA Food and Nutrition Service, UK Ministry of Justice, Vodafone Italy, WeTransfer, WIX, Xiaomi, Yelp, Zynga and Zillow.

All AWS’s customers would be like “why do we have to put up with this garbage?” They would quickly look for alternatives and jump ship. When difficulties arise, compromising the integrity of your most successful and profitable products is not logical or sustainable. Of course, times of crisis can lead to soul searching and a renewed push to find efficiencies. That’s not what is going on here. They’re cutting into the heart of their product. If Disney had spent the last decade without financial discipline, then maybe it would be justified. Instead, Walt Disney World is supposed to be recovering from crappy management.

Frankly, this is a joke. Guests can tell when they’re being ripped off. The Walt Disney World Resort has never been more profitable or crowded. They should be adding more content and building new expansions. Instead, we’re seeing a stupid cost cutting mandate from the top. Enhancements to existing attractions are being canceled. Their behavior is downright insulting to guests paying thousands of dollars for “magical” vacations.

The Walt Disney Company didn’t become the company it is today by relentlessly ruining their product. It became the company it is today because it had values and standards that were expressed in its products. WDW is experiencing a death a by a million (budget) cuts. Their product increasingly sucks, and their brilliant management solution is to make it suck more.

Brilliant!

Edit: Might I add, a great leader would say “look this quarter was tough because of forces outside of my control. But I believe in our strategy and within a year or two, our product will be back better than ever.” The masterful CEO Iger’s solution is to not to defend the long run investment thesis, but instead to abandon it. One would think a team charged with spending billions would be less squeamish. The Iger way!

Last edited:

IMDREW

Some updates from Hong Kong with regard to post #102:
- Only the Disneyland hotel and Inspiration Lake are open. Disneyland park and the other two hotels remain closed until further notice.
- Except hotel cast, most CMs (including imagineers) are asked to work from home. Standby shifts have been arranged for park frontline cast.
- Part-time cast are not released from the company, yet.
- Attractions are not being cycled during the closure. What's the point of doing that?
- HKSAR govt obtained consent from Disney to use land reserved for second gate for quarantine facilities. The proposed site next to the resort parking lot could provide 600 units and would be ready by April, should construction begin soon.
- Castle remodel and Arendelle construction are still in full swing. The Central plaza stage has just been removed today to make way for the new hub and castle viewing area à la SHDL.
- Autopia demolition completed. And HKDL is not getting the E-ticket announced for Anaheim but another version of GOTG:MB instead. Such change was made before the protests even started in June 2019. If you have paid attention to previous Marvel theme park announcements, Disney has been very quiet on the Avengers E-ticket coming to HK in 2023.
- Closure of HKDL and its struggling rival Ocean Park are seen as cost-cutting measures by some. Not long before the coronavirus outbreak, the HKSAR govt unveiled a major revamp for Ocean Park that would cost taxpayers hkd10b. It was later revealed that the park had only hkd400m left to keep it running. The low attendance caused by the protests has made it not cost-effective to keep the parks open even with reduced hours. The coronavirus just provided a valid reason to temporarily close the parks.
Thanks, I've been searching everywhere for some HKDL news. I absolutely love the resort (especially the Explorers Lodge) and have been following the new expansions very closely.

Do you know if the tower will still be Guardians themed? Or will they be making it Avengers like they promised? At least hoping for a different design! Would be the first Tower in a castle park!

It would be nice to have the castle done by the time the park reopens. To mark a new beginning and would hopefully immediately encourage people to go to the park.

IMDREW

Can they just say "you work and get paid an hour less per day from now on" in the US? I know in my country a company can't do that..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom