News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

Lilofan

Yup.

Further with recent trade tensions, China is suddenly a very unattractive place for foreign investment. You're starting to see large multi-nationals revaluate their China strategy and move operations to other countries with equally cheap and exploitable labor.
On the contrary, that's where the rich get richer. Any potential buyers like it when prices to get in are cheap and depressed with many running for their lives. Buy low, sell high, that is investment 101.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
On the contrary, that's where the rich get richer. Any potential buyers like it when prices to get in are cheap and depressed. Buy low, sell high, that is investment 101.

Risk and volatility much more so than labor costs play a heavy hand in deciding where to place something like an iPhone manufacturing facility. A non-functioning iPhone factory closed by instability within China could cost Apple billions, much more so than having to pay someone in Vietnam $.05 a day more in wages.

WDW Pro

Getting the Chinese parks open does not end this problem either. Assuming optimistically that the Chinese parks will open late Spring, the time to get back to normal will take many more months. Taking a trip to Disney will not be on the priority list for most domestic Chinese visitors. This outbreak has done significant damage to the Chinese economy, even the Chicoms can't hide that. The fallout from this will last multiple quarters extending well into 2021.

I'd be most interested to see how much in the EPCOT destruction redevelopment could be trimmed back. @marni1971 @WDW Pro

All I know is the UK Pavillion expansion may be delayed to future budgets. Everything else is in progress and affects Epcot infrastructure.

Disstevefan1

These cuts are absolutely necessary. Without Hong Kong or Shanghai open, the boss says Disney is nearing bankruptcy. If anyone wants to donate to the Disney Preservation Fund, I will be accepting money through PayPal. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

This is just the excuse you need Bobby! At WDW, Cut staff, cut park hours, raise prices, while sneaking in a few more hard ticket events to make up for the closure of Hong Kong and Shanghai!

Maybe a special after hours special event in the China pavilion with a special viewing area for the fireworks!

Lilofan

This is just the excuse you need Bobby! At WDW, Cut staff, cut park hours, raise prices, while sneaking in a few more hard ticket events to make up for the closure of Hong Kong and Shanghai!

Maybe a special after hours special event in the China pavilion with a special viewing area for the fireworks!
And it's still the happiest place on earth....

ABQ

And one other piece of good news reported today; a biotech company down in San Diego has already found a vaccine using their supercomputers and will begin human testing shortly, with a commercial vaccine available this summer.
Could you be so kind as to give a source or link to that info?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

seascape

On the contrary, that's where the rich get richer. Any potential buyers like it when prices to get in are cheap and depressed with many running for their lives. Buy low, sell high, that is investment 101.
It's time for Disney to buy a Chinese Movie Studio or at least a large portion of one. Short term problems present a great buying opportunity.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
o_O 🤪 🤔

Hold on just a second... they're going to out-source production of the vaccine for a new virus from China... to CHINA????

This is definitely a plot for a zombie apocalypse movie!!!

seascape

American companies can't buy Chinese companies, per the laws of the communist nation.
That is why I said a large portion. However, given the current disaster facing the movie industry in China and realizing the future of industry and streaming market, the time is perfect for Disney. They already have the love of the Chinese People, the reputation of a good partner with the Chinese Government and business relationships with the theaters. This would be a win for everyone. It would also encourage Disney to distribute Chinese movies in America.

WDW Pro

I've just been given confirmation that the Avenger's E-Ticket and Disneyland version of MMRR have been frozen in place. No work will continue on them until they are greenlit to be restarted. This is directly due to the Coronavirus. Walt Disney World cutbacks are being determined Tuesday... not sure when we'll get that info leaked.

Monorail_Orange

I've just been given confirmation that the Avenger's E-Ticket and Disneyland version of MMRR have been frozen in place. No work will continue on them until they are greenlit to be restarted. This is directly due to the Coronavirus. Walt Disney World cutbacks are being determined Tuesday... not sure when we'll get that info leaked.
I can't wait to be told again how the park closures in China will have no effect on the domestic parks.

As always, thanks for your insight and sharing with us what you can.

peter11435

Goodbye Mary Poppins. Reflections delayed. SpaceShip Earth would have been nice. Play pavilion might open someday.

Squishy

Goodbye Mary Poppins. Reflections delayed. SpaceShip Earth would have been nice. Play pavilion might open someday.
Nah, pretty sure the main thing that is gonna be cut in WDW is 50th entertainment, entertainment cuts usually always come first at WDW.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I can see Poppins getting delayed since nothing has broken ground but with the Spine redesign and really all of future world, I can't see them delaying SSE any longer and work is moving along on the Play Pavillion, not that anyone is excited about that anyway.

peter11435

I can see Poppins getting delayed since nothing has broken ground but with the Spine redesign and really all of future world, I can't see them delaying SSE any longer and work is moving along on the Play Pavillion, not that anyone is excited about that anyway.
I didn't mean spaceship Earth will be canceled or delayed. Im saying that it could be significantly cut back.

Work was moving along on Disneyland's runaway railway but that’s not stopping them from putting it on hold.

They were plugging away on pop century legendary years when they decided to freeze construction. It sat for a decade before it opened as an entirely different concept

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I didn't mean spaceship Earth will be canceled or delayed. Im saying that it could be significantly cut back.

Work was moving along on Disneyland's runaway railway but that’s not stopping them from putting it on hold.

They were plugging away on pop century legendary years when they decided to freeze construction. It sat for a decade before it opened as an entirely different concept
True, but this virus (I really hope) shouldn't have the financial impact that 9/11 did for the US in 2001. I never understood that decision since they were 75% complete with the Legendary section of the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom