News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Wish I was starting a thread to reveal a new Mary Poppins ride, commenting on Galaxy's Edge, or even talking about spending cuts at Disneyland. Unfortunately, the information I'm breaking today is significantly negative for Disney Parks due to the growing issue of the Coronavirus in Asia. Before continuing with this report about how the Walt Disney Company is handling the situation, you need to understand that official reports by the Chinese government are known behind the scenes to not be fully accurate. The situation is significantly more severe. Furthermore, in the past week it has been determined that Coronavirus has reached North Korea (although their dictatorship denies it), and may greatly escalate the situation. While the hope is that the virus will be decimated by summer heat and sunshine, there are no guarantees just yet. With all of that said, here are the current changes within the Walt Disney Parks division as a result of unprecedented park closures and resulting losses:

1. Nearly every American employee from the Asian parks who wishes to return to America has returned or is preparing to return. They have been or are being cleared by the State Department, and have already completed their quarantine requirements in other Asian countries (mostly South Korea).
  2. Asian parks are currently being run by skeleton crews while they are down. These crews are maintaining the parks such that they can be reopened when possible. Attractions are being cycled every couple of days to keep them in working condition.
  3. Almost all part-time cast members at the Asian parks have been released from the company.
  4. Full-time cast members who are remaining in the area are being paid as if they were continuing to work full-time. There are no public plans at this time to change that situation, nor are plans cemented behind the scenes as of yet.
  5. Multiple current projects at Disneyland are now on hold. These are evident in that work crews have either ceased or will soon cease to be observed working on these projects. There currently are a few exceptions, but I won't list those as things can quickly change. Work on the Marvel area is not currently a negotiable for work-stoppage, so that one is safe to continue.
  6. No projects at Walt Disney World are yet canceled or stopped. However, several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments. Mary Poppins in Epcot may be headed towards the chopping block shot-term, though, if closures continue.
  7. Should the Asian parks continue to be closed, Typhoon Lagoon is planned to stay closed in an "extended refurbishment" through May. I hesitate to release this information, as it can alter the company's stance on the water park given that the label "extended refurbishment" is intended to be a public relations move to diminish the perceived effects of Asian parks being closed.
  8. Labor cutbacks are planned. I'm working on getting solid information on this, and don't want to give premature information given that it could panic individuals working for Disney. That said, labor costs can be cut outside of Disneyland, where cutbacks have already pushed that park to its limit since summer.
Best regards, and I'll try to keep this thread updated as more information comes in. Please avoid speculation, as accurate info is important. If Martin or other insiders have additional intel, please feel free to message me and I'll get it in the OP with credit.

Could this include messing up the "50 news things for the 50th" promotion?

Epcot_Imagineer

Several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments.
If this means the projection mapped detonations are gone I'll volunteer to lead the riots.

trainplane3

1. No projects at Walt Disney World are yet canceled or stopped. However, several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments. Mary Poppins in Epcot may be headed towards the chopping block shot-term, though, if closures continue.
I'll say, the TTA was full of issues during my visits to MK this past week. Constant stoppages. Personally, I was stopped 3 times for about 2 minutes each in a single ride. I watched it go down multiple times as I walked around the land. Either Ops are having issues with guests boarding it or something else is going on.

peter11435

I'll say, the TTA was full of issues during my visits to MK this past week. Constant stoppages. Personally, I was stopped 3 times for about 2 minutes each in a single ride. I watched it go down multiple times as I walked around the land. Either Ops are having issues with guests boarding it or something else is going on.
If the stops were only for a couple minutes they were almost certainly guest caused. Boarding/unload issues or not remaining seated.

Gringrinngghost

Wish I was starting a thread to reveal a new Mary Poppins ride, commenting on Galaxy's Edge, or even talking about spending cuts at Disneyland. Unfortunately, the information I'm breaking today is significantly negative for Disney Parks due to the growing issue of the Coronavirus in Asia. Before continuing with this report about how the Walt Disney Company is handling the situation, you need to understand that official reports by the Chinese government are known behind the scenes to not be fully accurate. The situation is significantly more severe. Furthermore, in the past week it has been determined that Coronavirus has reached North Korea (although their dictatorship denies it), and may greatly escalate the situation. While the hope is that the virus will be decimated by summer heat and sunshine, there are no guarantees just yet. With all of that said, here are the current changes within the Walt Disney Parks division as a result of unprecedented park closures and resulting losses:

1. Nearly every American employee from the Asian parks who wishes to return to America has returned or is preparing to return. They have been or are being cleared by the State Department, and have already completed their quarantine requirements in other Asian countries (mostly South Korea).
  2. Asian parks are currently being run by skeleton crews while they are down. These crews are maintaining the parks such that they can be reopened when possible. Attractions are being cycled every couple of days to keep them in working condition.
  3. Almost all part-time cast members at the Asian parks have been released from the company.
  4. Full-time cast members who are remaining in the area are being paid as if they were continuing to work full-time. There are no public plans at this time to change that situation, nor are plans cemented behind the scenes as of yet.
  5. Multiple current projects at Disneyland are now on hold. These are evident in that work crews have either ceased or will soon cease to be observed working on these projects. There currently are a few exceptions, but I won't list those as things can quickly change. Work on the Marvel area is not currently a negotiable for work-stoppage, so that one is safe to continue.
  6. No projects at Walt Disney World are yet canceled or stopped. However, several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments. Mary Poppins in Epcot may be headed towards the chopping block shot-term, though, if closures continue.
  7. Should the Asian parks continue to be closed, Typhoon Lagoon is planned to stay closed in an "extended refurbishment" through May. I hesitate to release this information, as it can alter the company's stance on the water park given that the label "extended refurbishment" is intended to be a public relations move to diminish the perceived effects of Asian parks being closed.
  8. Labor cutbacks are planned. I'm working on getting solid information on this, and don't want to give premature information given that it could panic individuals working for Disney. That said, labor costs can be cut outside of Disneyland, where cutbacks have already pushed that park to its limit since summer.
Best regards, and I'll try to keep this thread updated as more information comes in. Please avoid speculation, as accurate info is important. If Martin or other insiders have additional intel, please feel free to message me and I'll get it in the OP with credit.

But hey, for its first fiscal quarter of 2020, they had revenue gains in the parks and resorts of 10%, and operating income up 6%.

Gotta afford the Fox merger someway...

Squishy

If this is true, this company is becoming a joke.

willtravel

No projects at Walt Disney World are yet canceled or stopped. However, several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments.
I wish no one to loose there job, and hope this situation turns around in the not too distant future. But as far as WDW this part saddens me. Would like to have seen what changes would have been.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

What does North Korea have to do with anything?

I continue to be confused as to why the company would delay US capital projects that dont' impact current earnings in response to short term income shortfalls. If the NPV of a project is positive, then the NPV of a project is positive. Staffing, park hours, whether Typhoon Lagoon is open, that all makes sense. But capital projects (rides and refurbs) are paid for (on paper) only once they are already earning you money, which presumably is more money than you paid (or you wouldn't have done it).

Lilofan

I wish no one to loose there job, and hope this situation turns around in the not too distant future. But as far as WDW this part saddens me. Would like to have seen what changes would have been.
It's unfortunate that during layoffs of companies, many good people lose their jobs through no fault of their own.

TP2000

Very interesting stuff, thank you for updating us!

I had read with great suspicion Disney's original statement that they thought the Chinese parks would be closed "for two months", as that seemed wildly optimistic to me. And if they have recalled all their American staff and released all their part-time Cast Members, then that would prove they don't think either Chinese park will be reopening five weeks from now.

One of the current projects in Disneyland that I can easily surmise has just been put on hold is the Runaway Railway ride in Toontown. The nice thing about Disneyland is that the construction of that ride can be easily seen, and closely photographed, from both the Harbor Blvd. overpass on its east and the Disneyland parking structure on its west. If work does indeed stop there shortly, we are going to be able to tell. And that should quiet anyone who disagrees with your general assessment on the Chinese parks impact to the American operation.

I have never thought being heavily invested in Communist China was good for any American company, but that's another topic. I can already see a longer-term silver lining to this short-term Chinese mess though, and that's good for America. :)

And one other piece of good news reported today; a biotech company down in San Diego has already found a vaccine using their supercomputers and will begin human testing shortly, with a commercial vaccine available this summer.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

The one point everyone seems to be forgetting with fallout in the US is this...if product from China stops being shipped, just think of all the people/companies i.e. longshoremen in US ports potentially losing their jobs/getting laid off because there are no containers to offload...no cars to offload...etc. This could have a bigger ripple effect than most realize.

WDW Pro

I continue to be confused as to why the company would delay US capital projects that dont' impact current earnings in response to short term income shortfalls. If the NPV of a project is positive, then the NPV of a project is positive. Staffing, park hours, whether Typhoon Lagoon is open, that all makes sense. But capital projects (rides and refurbs) are paid for (on paper) only once they are already earning you money, which presumably is more money than you paid (or you wouldn't have done it).

The issue with North Korea Korea that it could turn into a humanitarian crisis since it lacks a medical industry. There is significant fear that could greatly stress the the region across many sectors. Whereas China has tens of millions quarantined, North Korea Korea could become a porous source of mass contagion if the borders break down.

Touchdown

The boarder that would break down first is the NK-China boarder. If the DMZ ever broke down that would be world news and quickly known. Thankfully Korea is a peninsula and can be quarantined fairly easily but I doubt China would ever let that happen, if the DMZ ever breaks down that is the start of reunification and would result in a democratic country now directly bordering China, something China has gone to war before to prevent. China would have to be in a really bad state to let NK break down like that.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I suppose that's good news, though I'd be lying if I said part of me wasn't hoping deep down that this virus outbreak was the fulfillment of a George Carlin prophecy (may that good man rest in peace).

Plain and simple, there's just too many of us.

Not sure if you're not a fan or haven't heard of Bill Burr yet, please do yourself a favor and listen to his bits about the human population, its pure gold. He is not Carlton (but who is?) but he is quite funny

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

If this was new build stuff, I would see your point. But the return on enhancing those rides is a soft benefit through good PR or avoidance of bad PR. Standard ride maintenance keeps the rides in working order, and people will keep coming and riding them as they are. Enhancing the ride would have been fun for the customer, but certainly not something that would draw additional people to the parks. It's a PR benefit, not a bottom line benefit.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Getting the Chinese parks open does not end this problem either. Assuming optimistically that the Chinese parks will open late Spring, the time to get back to normal will take many more months. Taking a trip to Disney will not be on the priority list for most domestic Chinese visitors. This outbreak has done significant damage to the Chinese economy, even the Chicoms can't hide that. The fallout from this will last multiple quarters extending well into 2021.

I'd be most interested to see how much in the EPCOT destruction redevelopment could be trimmed back. @marni1971 @WDW Pro

ImperfectPixie

And one other piece of good news reported today; a biotech company down in San Diego has already found a vaccine using their supercomputers and will begin human testing shortly, with a commercial vaccine available this summer.
A vaccine is fabulous news! I have a FB group member who has a couple of days left on his quarantine in Europe...he's from Wuhan, but American.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This is the part of the movie just before the zombie apocalypse starts...
Getting the Chinese parks open does not end this problem either. Assuming optimistically that the Chinese parks will open late Spring, the time to get back to normal will take many more months. Taking a trip to Disney will not be on the priority list for most domestic Chinese visitors. This outbreak has done significant damage to the Chinese economy, even the Chicoms can't hide that. The fallout from this will last multiple quarters extending well into 2021.
And the odds of non-Chinese tourists returning to China any time soon are pretty low.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
This is the part of the movie just before the zombie apocalypse starts...

And the odds of non-Chinese tourists returning to China any time soon are pretty low.

Yup.

Further with recent trade tensions, China is suddenly a very unattractive place for foreign investment. You're starting to see large multi-nationals revaluate their China strategy and move operations to other countries with equally cheap and exploitable labor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom