News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

the.dreamfinder

China is a huge market and just about the same size as North America. 25% may only be half the normal cut but it is huge and where many movies become profitable and without it many movies will lose money.
True, but Disney tentpoles cost too much to be seen as one and done ventures when you factor in WW marketing expenses. Theme parks, cable channel and D+ subscriptions and moychendising- that’s where the money is made.

Cesar R M

ALL IS WELL IN SHANGHAI AND HONG KONG
generalinformationminister.jpg

seascape

Given the increase in attendance at both WDW and DL due to SWGE, it would be a mistake to have any cuts at either location. The US locations are seeing both attendance increases, merchandise sales and profits which should make up most of the $175 million loss from closing for 2 months. Given that Tesla plans on reopening their Shanghai Plant on February 10, there is a good chance that Shanghai Disneyland and Hong Kong Disneyland will reopen sooner than the 2 month period.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
hmmm my own personal saga is a laptop ordered from HP Jan 6th. Was supposed to ship by 22nd. Still nothing....I know its coming from China, and chat gal said rest assured its not coming from Wuhan...but didn't say where it WAS coming from, and should ship by the 9th of THIS month....we shall see.... but that begs the question of the effects of everything else going on and the ripple effect. Are all goods being held up from lack of staff showing up or a freeze on shipping? Guess I should be safe from a laptop sitting in a box waiting to be shipped for weeks.....but that said I do feel it would be a good sign to see the Disney Parks open back up over there as indication of things functioning again. Fingers crossed and prayers for all those affected that things become contained and controlled....Disney CM's included. :angelic:

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

No they are making a non-emotional business decision. This is how all companies work. This strategy is not specific to Disney.
It makes sense.
Panic at the slightly blip in financials is not at all how all companies work. It is not even how all divisions within Disney work. One movie bombing does not cause the same sort of panic and cuts throughout the Studio.

Tonto

Panic at the slightly blip in financials is not at all how all companies work. It is not even how all divisions within Disney work. One movie bombing does not cause the same sort of panic and cuts throughout the Studio.
You think having 2 major financial investments shut down for a prolonged period of time is a blip on the map??? This will cost them hundreds of millions of $$$. This has the potential to be real bad. They are preparing for the worst hoping for the best. It’s not what we as fans want to here, but they have to protect themselves. I’m not saying Disney isn’t a bunch of cheap SOB’s but I sort of understand this reaction.

Lilofan

You think having 2 major financial investments shut down for a prolonged period of time is a blip on the map??? This will cost them hundreds of millions of $$$. This has the potential to be real bad. They are preparing for the worst hoping for the best. It’s not what we as fans want to here, but they have to protect themselves. I’m not saying Disney isn’t a bunch of cheap SOB’s but I sort of understand this reaction.
Iger and Chapek know where to cut and have been doing so. Where does one think where most of the Disney merchandise come from? That's another issue with what is going on in China with people staying home. I can see a merchandise shortage going on if there isn't one already.

Princess Leia

I do wonder how this will effect their plans for “Mulan (2020)”. Do they move the release to April? Do they offer a at-home premium VOD option only in China to keep their current date?
I was wondering about this as well. The majority of China’s movie theaters have closed. I guess the most sense would be to try and push the film’s release date in China to the day that the theatres reopen.

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Just think about the logistics even beyond people reporting to work....products getting made, out of factory, into shipping containers, loading, ships being able to leave port, being able to be accepted at other countries.....the whole supply chain standstill is mind boggling.
o_O. Here's my plug for MADE IN THE USA.....it's a good thing.....:angelic::happy:

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Well my delayed twice shipping of my new laptop from China ,ordered Jan 6th which I was reassured would ship for sure on 22nd Jan and on Feb 9th.... and that THIS time business was back running as usual....ha....now got an email that it will be delayed until the 27th......due to constraints of not being able to get some "part".....on the flip side they are offering me 10% discount and I have 3 days to respond.....sure wouldn't want to be answering for delayed mega shipments to Disney parks or auto companies.....:rolleyes:. I feel sorry for the people who are trapped in any one city and have to answer peoples customer service questions when they are helpless to do anything about anything.

WDW Pro

Wish I was starting a thread to reveal a new Mary Poppins ride, commenting on Galaxy's Edge, or even talking about spending cuts at Disneyland. Unfortunately, the information I'm breaking today is significantly negative for Disney Parks due to the growing issue of the Coronavirus in Asia. Before continuing with this report about how the Walt Disney Company is handling the situation, you need to understand that official reports by the Chinese government are known behind the scenes to not be fully accurate. The situation is significantly more severe. Furthermore, in the past week it has been determined that Coronavirus has reached North Korea (although their dictatorship denies it), and may greatly escalate the situation. While the hope is that the virus will be decimated by summer heat and sunshine, there are no guarantees just yet. With all of that said, here are the current changes within the Walt Disney Parks division as a result of unprecedented park closures and resulting losses:

1. Nearly every American employee from the Asian parks who wishes to return to America has returned or is preparing to return. They have been or are being cleared by the State Department, and have already completed their quarantine requirements in other Asian countries (mostly South Korea).
  2. Asian parks are currently being run by skeleton crews while they are down. These crews are maintaining the parks such that they can be reopened when possible. Attractions are being cycled every couple of days to keep them in working condition.
  3. Almost all part-time cast members at the Asian parks have been released from the company.
  4. Full-time cast members who are remaining in the area are being paid as if they were continuing to work full-time. There are no public plans at this time to change that situation, nor are plans cemented behind the scenes as of yet.
  5. Multiple current projects at Disneyland are now on hold. These are evident in that work crews have either ceased or will soon cease to be observed working on these projects. There currently are a few exceptions, but I won't list those as things can quickly change. Work on the Marvel area is not currently a negotiable for work-stoppage, so that one is safe to continue.
  6. No projects at Walt Disney World are yet canceled or stopped. However, several planned refurbishments have been downsized greatly. These include Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Carousel of Progress, Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, and Tomorrowland Transit Authority People Mover. Whereas these previously included significant changes, they are now standard maintenance refurbishments. Mary Poppins in Epcot may be headed towards the chopping block shot-term, though, if closures continue.
  7. Should the Asian parks continue to be closed, Typhoon Lagoon is planned to stay closed in an "extended refurbishment" through May. I hesitate to release this information, as it can alter the company's stance on the water park given that the label "extended refurbishment" is intended to be a public relations move to diminish the perceived effects of Asian parks being closed.
  8. Labor cutbacks are planned. I'm working on getting solid information on this, and don't want to give premature information given that it could panic individuals working for Disney. That said, labor costs can be cut outside of Disneyland, where cutbacks have already pushed that park to its limit since summer.
Best regards, and I'll try to keep this thread updated as more information comes in. Please avoid speculation, as accurate info is important. If Martin or other insiders have additional intel, please feel free to message me and I'll get it in the OP with credit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom