News Expect closure of Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland to impact Walt Disney World

Scrooged

Regardless of the impact to the company as whole, I have to wonder what political machinations went into the decision to close the parks. How much was the state involved, how much pressure did it take to get Disney to close, and is this in response to the poor actions the Chinese state took during the SARS thing.... Just random questions that we will never know the answer to- at least not in the near future.

GinaD613

These cuts are absolutely necessary. Without Hong Kong or Shanghai open, the boss says Disney is nearing bankruptcy. If anyone wants to donate to the Disney Preservation Fund, I will be accepting money through PayPal. Drastic times call for drastic measures.

@realBobChapek then maybe Disney shouldn’t have overextended itself. If the parks close forever because they aren’t cost effective, then so be it. The best ideas win the day, not the money-losing ones.

On that happy note, looking forward to celebrating our 20th anniversary with DH at WDW next week!

DDLand

It’s not.

HKDL lost 6.9 million dollars in 2018. The park is actually more profitable when it is closed. SDL is somewhat profitable though, but not by much.
Nah, it’s going to hurt profits. Think fixed costs. Disney will still have to support its employees and provide benefits. The two resorts have approaching 20,000 cast members (10,000+ SD and 7,500+ HK). The assets will continue to depreciate without any revenue offsets. The resorts can’t be left to rot, so upkeep and maintenance will still have to be a focus. Merchandise inventory that’s seasonal or limited edition will be written off. Probably more.

Obviously, the sums are diluted by not owning the assets in totality, but this could offset some of the momentum of Galaxy’s Edge. If Disneyland is really having disappointing performance as @WDW Pro alluded to, we could see another soft year of growth from Parks and Resorts. They have a good excuse, but this was a year when Parks, Experiences, and Products was supposed to crush it. Walt Disney World is going to have the difficulty of overcoming the Asia shutdown and a soft Disneyland.
But how bad will this have to get before they decide to give selling the parks another shot?
That ship has probably sailed. The organization that could devour the parks are few. It could easily be worth 70+ Billion. I could see a spinoff “to unlock shareholder value.” With that said, that would be Walt Disney Co. giving up some of its heft. Disney is competing against 1.4 trillion Apple and massive Comcast. It doesn’t hurt to be bigger in a space like the one that is brewing...

Last edited:

Nubs70

Regardless of the impact to the company as whole, I have to wonder what political machinations went into the decision to close the parks. How much was the state involved, how much pressure did it take to get Disney to close, and is this in response to the **** poor actions the Chinese state took during the SARS thing.... Just random questions that we will never know the answer to- at least not in the near future.
There is no second thought in China. If the government says, shut down, business shuts down.

Happens to some of my production plants. It's smoggy? Shut down production.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
THAT’S MY JOKE!
hqdefault.jpg

WDW Pro

Nah, it’s going to hurt profits. Think fixed costs. Disney will still have to support its employees and provide benefits. The two resorts have approaching 20,000 cast members (10,000+ SD and 7,500+ HK). The assets will continue to depreciate without any revenue offsets. The resorts can’t be left to rot, so upkeep and maintenance will still have to be a focus. Merchandise inventory that’s seasonal or limited edition will be written off. Probably more.

Obviously, the sums are diluted by not owning the assets in totality, but this could offset some of the momentum of Galaxy’s Edge. If Disneyland is really having disappointing performance as @WDW Pro alluded to, we could see another soft year of growth from Parks and Resorts. They have a good excuse, but this was a year when Parks, Experiences, and Products was supposed to crush it. Walt Disney World is going to have the difficulty of overcoming the Asia shutdown and a soft Disneyland.

That ship has probably sailed. The organization that could devour the parks are few. It could easily be worth 70+ Billion. I could see a spinoff “to unlock shareholder value.” With that said, that would be Walt Disney Co. giving up some of its heft. Disney is competing against 1.4 trillion Apple and massive Comcast. It doesn’t hurt to be bigger in a space like the one that is brewing...

Closing a park for even a day is a major financial hit, although for the entire company it's easily manageable. Because the park is in China, it's a bit harder to figure out how much the hit is per day, but it seems like it's about 8 million a day in losses. One of the difficulties is that not only does the park not generate revenue, but upkeep of a park is immense whether guests come or not.

BrianLo

Some of the posters over there were insistent that the park closures in China would have no effect on the domestic parks because of the financial insulation/isolation. They were also contending #ThanksShanghai (from the 2016/17 budget cuts to domestic parks) was silly and had nothing to do with the cost overruns and construction delays before opening.

Obviously, even if they are insulated on paper, performance at the foreign parks affects what happens at the domestic parks. Hence, Steve's OP here that he's hearing the Chinese park closures will cause belt tightening at WDW.

The difference for me is between should and would. Should it effect a different unit? No. Would it? Well for that the question in return: is the company run by a bunch of idiots who don’t look further than two feet in the future?

Thanks Shanghai was a cute little movement for Domestic park fans to blame their reoccurring woes on an international unit. The run up to opening was plagued with the same cost overruns and panic that has seemingly plagued every park opening in the companies history. But it also now does not account for the fact that Shanghai has been pretty much the single bright spot (that Disney owns) internationally these last few years.

Bob is generally risk adverse though. Its solid successful performance (despite the gong show run up to opening) can be thanked for causing Iger to finally see some value towards investing domestically again.

It also smugly doesn’t account for the last round of cuts, which were all on the domestic parks, were due to a horrible domestic summer.

Hank Hill

It will affect more than the parks.
Think of how many things are manufactured in China that may have disruptions if people cannot go about their daily business to work and manufacture them?
Because of Chinese New Year, most business will not be effected as much for a while as production would be low anyway. This could all be blown over by then, or all the traveling people make during the celebration will make it worse.

Lilofan

I'm hearing that in the wake of closures of both Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland that there will be some tightening of the belt at Walt Disney World. Savings will need to be made, likely starting with labor.
I would not be surprise besides shortening of cast members hours, layoffs of salaried cast that there would be a spending freeze for parks and resorts division. Hopefully safety and security of guests and cast are not the numbers that need to be downsized.

Kman101

I'm hearing that in the wake of closures of both Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland that there will be some tightening of the belt at Walt Disney World. Savings will need to be made, likely starting with labor.

Never fails.

I love the folks on social media who don't believe Disney works this way.

News flash folks: they do.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Never fails.

Thus is the way of a company focused solely on stock analyst expectations.

Some are not surprised by this at all, knowing the tendencies of those in charge.

FigmentForver96

Never fails.

I feel this is any large company that runs the risk of losing money. Whether it’s right or wrong is another discussion but not shocking in the slightest. So I don’t understand people who think it wouldn’t happen cause the parks division are one division from my understanding (more complicated I imagine but in simple terms is one big pot.) I also don’t get people who are shocked they would do it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom