Expanded Epcot Segway Tour?

Texas84

Original Poster
So I did the Epcot Segway tour today for the first time. This was easily the most fun I have had at a Disney park, and I've been doing this since the 70's. As we sadly parked our trusty Segway at the end of the ride, I half-joked about them needing to extend the riding portion from 1 to 2 hours. One of our guides said WDW is thinking about doing that when a new model shows up. Good news for you Segway fans! Now on to Ft. Wilderness!
:sohappy:

DisneyPrincess5

So I did the Epcot Segway tour today for the first time. This was easily the most fun I have had at a Disney park, and I've been doing this since the 70's. As we sadly parked our trusty Segway at the end of the ride, I half-joked about them needing to extend the riding portion from 1 to 2 hours. One of our guides said WDW is thinking about doing that when a new model shows up. Good news for you Segway fans! Now on to Ft. Wilderness!
:sohappy:

Hi there.
So glad to hear you enjoyed the tour!...we're doing it next trip and can't wait!
Sometimes you have to take what CMs say with a grain of salt, but hopefully it will happen!
Did they say when the new model is coming out?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I did the tour last year with my father-in-law and brother-in-law. We had a blast. We did it while prep was going on for the F&W Festival, so we got to see a lot of backstage doors open and a lot of action going on on the promenade.

Glad you had fun - I'd highly recommend this to anyone!

wdwfan100

This is definitely on our "things to do" list for an upcoming trip. It just seem like it would be tough not to have fun on this tour.

Pioneer Hall

I did the tour and had a lot of fun as well. I do agree though that it would be nice if you could do a little more riding and exploring through the countries. You should get the opportunity to go through more of them.

JMagicFink

question

Do you have to take the beginners segway tour before you can take the segway tour around world showcase? Are they really as hard to ride as people have told me? I think they look pretty easy to balance on.

Phonedave

Do you have to take the beginners segway tour before you can take the segway tour around world showcase? Are they really as hard to ride as people have told me? I think they look pretty easy to balance on.

My experence on them is it is a steep but very short learning curve.

When I first got on them, my reaction was that they were not an easy thing to handle - now I bike, skate, ice skate, ski, and a whole host of other "balancing" things. I was seriously thinking that I would not be able to handle the thing.

Within 5 minutes it just "clicked" and I was riding with no problems, in fact I had the CM ask me to stop playing around on it. I was comfortable with it enough that I was trying to see how fast it could spin, slalom in reverse, etc. and of course they don't want a person falling off.

Later I took the tour again, with some friends who were taking it for the first time. I watched their faces, and all 5 had the same look. At first it was "what did I get myself into, I cant ride this thing" and then within 5 minutes, they will all zooming around with no problems. Later I talked to them and they said they all had the same feeling.

-dave

EpcoTim

Within 5 minutes it just "clicked" and I was riding with no problems, in fact I had the CM ask me to stop playing around on it. I was comfortable with it enough that I was trying to see how fast it could spin, slalom in reverse, etc. and of course they don't want a person falling off.
-dave

You should have just taken off on the thing. High speed SEGWAY chase around Epcot. Just stay away from World Showcase so you don't get a SUI. I heard they use the double decker character bus as a paddy wagon these days.

heliumalias

Nah, you don't need the beginners tour. the first half of the WS tour is spent teaching you how to ride the segway.

I found that "balancing" on it wasn't a problem at all. It's designed so that the platform always stays level. What's difficult is being able to stand still on it. I found that I tended to drift in various directions at first. During training they make sure that you can get on/off, turn, go up and down hills, etc.

It's not for people that find it difficult to stand still in one spot. It's not easy to re-adjust the position of your feet once you're on the thing. Much of the movement involved is similar to snowboarding in that you're controlling it by shifting your weight.

It was an amazing experience. i'd certainly love to do a longer tour.

fascion216

really COOL im glad to hear you enjoyed it! ive been wanting to ask if people enjoyed this tour ..i will be booking it for my trip in sept. :sohappy:

WDWCP

My wife and I did the Epcot Segway tour in 2006 and had a fantastic time! We loved it so much that we're already registered for the Backcoungry Segway tour in the Wilderness Campground area (starts at Mickey's Backyard BBQ) for our upcoming trip this Summer!

Don't forget that anyone who has an Annual Pass gets 15% discount on these Segway tours!!!!

Phonedave

You should have just taken off on the thing. High speed SEGWAY chase around Epcot. Just stay away from World Showcase so you don't get a SUI. I heard they use the double decker character bus as a paddy wagon these days.

The thought crossed my mind :)

But the CM Segways go faster than the guest ones. They would have caught me. Unless I lept from mine onto a CM one and took it over. :D

-dave

David

I just wonder why they need to wait for the newer models to come out to extend the tour time? Do they not hold the charge longer than an hour?

We're planning a trip down in December and as another poster said, our son is now 16, so Segway tour, here we come!

I just wonder why they need to wait for the newer models to come out to extend the tour time? Do they not hold the charge longer than an hour?

We're planning a trip down in December and as another poster said, our son is now 16, so Segway tour, here we come!

All i2 Segways have enough charge to cover a distance of 24 miles with normal riding (read not flat out all the time).

I highly recommend the tour -- I had a blast. And yes, I too wish it had been longer but I had an absolute blast! The only thing I would really wish is for Disney to take their segways off of "turtle". To those who haven't been on a Segway before, "turtle" is the mode used for beginners and limits the forward speed to 6-6.5 mph.

WDWFREAK53

We actually did this last week for the first time. Best time I've had in Disney in a LONG time! It was a blast and I'd buy one in a second if I could justify it. Using it around World Showcase is one thing...but where would you use it outside of the park?

If I could come up with any logical uses for it...aside from the pure "fun" factor...I'd buy one.

They should extend it to include Future World also.

WDWCP

We actually did this last week for the first time. Best time I've had in Disney in a LONG time! It was a blast and I'd buy one in a second if I could justify it. Using it around World Showcase is one thing...but where would you use it outside of the park?

If I could come up with any logical uses for it...aside from the pure "fun" factor...I'd buy one.

They should extend it to include Future World also.

You do technically get to go through Future World a little bit as you wind your way to and from the World Showcase!! :)

WDWFREAK53

You do technically get to go through Future World a little bit as you wind your way to and from the World Showcase!! :)

Yes, a little bit...but imagine going through the queue to The Living Seas (the beginning part)...and into the land and around the top...(not going downstairs obviously). Onto Imagination where you could ride around the fountains...and off to the other side. Go into the Test Track postshow, take off for Mission Space and go around the planets and under Spaceship Earth. Go all the way around Innoventions (both sides) too!

A little bit of history along the way would be fun! They could even have another "free-ride" time in the planetary plaza or near the Fountain of Nations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom