Trip Report Excusez-moi: A DLP Trip Report - From the WDW Perspective

Freshly off an adventure to DLP I am eager to report back on my findings, thoughts, concerns, and overall impression of the experience. Moreover, it comes from the perspective of a US based family with roots at WDW.

The important preface: As a teacher and working, professional artist I have been fortunate enough to travel quite extensively throughout the US, Europe, and Asia. My work brings me to some interesting places, some of which are your run of the mill catered tourist experiences and others are places where I may omit facts of areas I stayed in to avoid a meltdown from my wife. WITH ALL THAT SAID, I am adamant about absorbing local customs and cultures and am neither close minded or a walking stereotype of an American abroad.

Who: Myself (Dan) and my lovely wife of 7 years.

When: July 1-2, 2019
Where: DLP (Sequoia Lodge)

Contents:

1.) OVERALL IMPRESSIONS
2.) DISNEYLAND PARK
3.) STUDIOS
4.) LODGING
5.) DINING
6.) EXPERIENCES
7.) CONCLUSION

To start, yours truly... a customary picture that stems from visits to DLC, WDW, and now DLP as I work my way to visit all of the Disney Parks across the globe.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Thoughts on Studios:

On the second day I left my wife in bed and ventured down for an early 7:15 am breakfast. Once again, let down by the French and their inability to master breakfast without having to rely on bread and sugary treats. We made sure to be showered and ready for a morning of extra magic hours.

We wanted to use our time efficiently in an effort to minimize the time my wife would have to sit and wait while I queued up for more intense rides. I made sure to hop into Crushes Coaster single rider line just to say I did it. The last few years motion sickness has plagued me but a pound of bacon in the AM and some sea bands certainly helped me survive. I actually enjoyed the ride, it’s fun.

Next up, ratatouille... awesome! Can’t wait for WDW to get this attraction. Well themed, enough of a thrill, it’s a great little attraction.

That’s kind of where things ended for us...

I walked away with an appreciation for Hollywood Studios in WDW. Even though I’ve always felt that park was a 1/2 day tops (pre Star Wars etc) this park felt EVEN shorter. 1/4 day maybe?!

The backlot is a fun throwback, made me really miss that at WFW. Could use some serious updating though, Jeremy Irons circa 2003 was hilarious to see.

We used the extra magic time and then just left to go back to Disneyland Park. Kind of a let down to be perfectly honest.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Lodging:

I have to say: I am a fan of the commute into DLP. It’s a pretty cheap ticket via the RER A line and a simple 15 minute walk through Disney Village.

The Sequoia Lodge has some interesting theming but lacks a major visual element. Think Wilderness Lodge without the massive central area that just captivates you visually.

The room was really barren... two plugs in the entire room, no amenities whatsoever. This one falls into the same issues I have with all WDW resorts in that I’ve always felt that I’m paying for convenience and not the actual room / resort etc. The only hotel that’s ever challenged that for me is the beach club simply due to the amazing pool! However, like I said in an earlier post it’s hard for me to judge resorts because at this point in time in my life I never utilize the amenities ever. I come back late at night after a full day in the parks, shower, and go to sleep.

ddbowdoin

Original Poster
Congrats on the healthy lifestyle - you look great! Barely recognized you. Just started myself a couple months ago on getting myself healthier. Things kinda slipped over the last year.

Enjoying the report!
Thank you, sir!

At times it’s incredibly frustrating living around people who can eat things and maintain their version of healthy but it’s a life style change and it needs to stay that way.

I eat a lot of steak... just can’t have bread in my life anymore!

I cracked into the 160’s this morning... the last time I weighed that much I was 11.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom