Excavator Coaster Coming to Dinoland U.S.A.?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Nope. Joe Rohde flexing his big brain. Amazonian animals (Anaconda, Pirahna, Puma) to start. And then an intellectual deep dive into the legendary City of Gold. Hint: no one has made it out alive.

Oh, so... Wakanda.

Although, such an attraction will certainly help with the lines in DAK throughout the course of day.

tenor.gif
My reaction to Dino-Rama's potential demolition.
My local mall provides a better sense of immersion than Dino-Drama has ever managed to do. I mean, the place is literally a parking lot so it's not that much of an observation.

Disneyhead'71

Do you have a source for this info?

What is a "mega" E?
It is rumored to be the same ride system and screen tech as Shanghai's Pirates which is a high capacity mega E Ticket.

Mega E Ticket- Obscene budget. Blows the socks off your feet. FoP, RSR, Forbidden Journey, Gringott's. A tell tale sign that you are about to experience a Mega E Ticket is the facade looks like
ca109.jpg

Or
21.jpg

Cousin Huet

It is rumored to be the same ride system and screen tech as Shanghai's Pirates which is a high capacity mega E Ticket.

Mega E Ticket- Obscene budget. Blows the socks off your feet. FoP, RSR, Forbidden Journey, Gringott's. A tell tale sign that you are about to experience a Mega E Ticket is the facade looks like
ca109.jpg

Or
21.jpg

Being in Diagon Alley is awesome but gringotts is not in the league of the others there at all. Spider-Man and Hogwarts are great despite Hogwarts needing another upgrade for my standards to look like FofP but the other screen stuff at Uni is lacking

raymusiccity

The thing about Animal Kingdom in general is that the whole experience is meant to be played in a first person perspective. There's a reason the park was advertised as "the most adventurous Walt Disney World park ever!", and that's because it's supposed to be about the guests' journey.

Expedition Everest has us traveleling up the Himalayans and inadvertently intruding upon the Yeti's territory. DINOSAUR has us whisked back in time on a high speed chase to rescuse an Iquanodon from extinction. Kilimanjaro Safaris has us embark on a peaceful trip through an african wildlife reserve. Flight of Passage gets us involved in a Banshee conservation program established on Pandora and has us flying around through the planet on our very own Avatars connected to said Banshees. You kinda get the picture. It's always about "us".

Suffice to say, I know there's a lot of people want a traditional dark ride based on something like The Lion King or Jungle Book in the park, but I just don't think those type of attractions, Fantasyland esque dark rides where the visitors witness the events unfolding from a distance rather than actually partaking in them, really have a place in Animal Kingdom.

DINOSAUR is about as dark a ride as you can get!! ;)

the-reason14

Primevil Whirl is prob the worst coaster on property at WDW, even Barnstormer is better. Whirl is so rough its painful to ride, and there is almost never more than a 20 min wait for this ride, so that should tell you no one would be too upset about losing it. Also curious to know why so many knock the Indy coaster in Paris, I've never been but the vids make it look half way decent, also I think the themeing is better than Primevil WHirl also, even if it is just a cookie cutter coaster design around a temple.

I didn't get to ride it in Paris because it was close, but the raging spirits at Tokyo Disney Sea is essentially the same thing from my understanding and I had heard how rough these type of coasters were but it wasn't rough at all. I think if they were to bring this to the area it would be an improvement to what's there. Primeval whirl was fun once upon a time, but like someone else said it's loud, clanky, and ugly. I get the theme they were trying to do in this area, but after going to all these other Disney parks, this area is offensively horrible. I never thought it was good, but never thought it was terrible, but after seeing what I've seen I agree this land needs to go. If they really want a spinning coaster, they should redo the ride to be more like the Crush coaster in Paris, this ride is actually very thrilling and fun and not painful like Primeval Whirl.

Disneyhead'71

Being in Diagon Alley is awesome but gringotts is not in the league of the others there at all. Spider-Man and Hogwarts are great despite Hogwarts needing another upgrade for my standards to look like FofP but the other screen stuff at Uni is lacking
I believe the level of Gringott's sucktitude has been greatly exaggerated.

If Universal had never gotten Potter and Gringott's opened, as is, in the UK pavilion in WS with it's associated Potter crowds not one person would question it's mega E Ticket status. And it would be considered Epcot's star attraction.

DIAGON_Lobby1_buzz.jpg

(The only attractive part of that scenario is the meltdown @Magenta Panther would have had would have been spectacularly entertaining).

Oddly enough, although a superior ride, The Amazing Adventures of Spider-man isn't a Mega E Ticket. It's facade, queue, and lack of preshows limits it. But the attraction itself is still the preeminent example of how to utilize 3D with a moving RV.

Last edited:

doctornick

I thought Gringotts was a fantastic ride. I kind of prefer it to Forbidden Journey but both are great.

I felt it was overhyped prior to opening as a game changer. It's certainly a quality attraction, but I think it suffers from feeling like you are racing from screen to screen and just watching a movie when stopped. It's too choppy to be a great roller coaster and it's not immersive enough to be a top notch dark ride. On top of all that, it reuses all the same tropes found plenty of times already at Universal -- the "something bad happens to use" plot, splashing water and shooting fire at you, etc. I also think it's tough to hear the dialogue effectively.

The queue is fantastic though once you hit the bank though, I'd agree.

It's a great addition, mind you. I just don't think it stands out much among Uni's other offerings and feel it did nothing to displace FJ or Spider-Man from the perch of being the best ride at Uni (and arguably all of Orlando). If the Forbidden Forest coaster is a "game changer" in the same way, then I don't think WDW would have anything to worry about.

Dinoman96

DINOSAUR is about as dark a ride as you can get!! ;)

By "traditional dark ride" I meant stuff like Ariel's Undersea Adventure, Peter Pan's Flight or Snow White's Scary Adventure, which are all essentially ride adaptions of their respective films where the riders observe the events of the story from a third person perspective. These are the kind of rides that basically dominate Fantasyland.

DINOSAUR, like basically all of AK's major attractions, (except for Finding Nemo: The Musical I guess) is played out from a first person perspective where the riders are actually apart of the action that unfolds. I've seen a lot of people suggest for Animal Kingdom to have a Fantasyland esque dark ride attraction based on properties like The Lion King, but I don't think those type of attractions would really gel with the way AK is designed as a park. That's what I kinda meant there.

Last edited:

Kman101

I felt it was overhyped prior to opening as a game changer. It's certainly a quality attraction, but I think it suffers from feeling like you are racing from screen to screen and just watching a movie when stopped. It's too choppy to be a great roller coaster and it's not immersive enough to be a top notch dark ride. On top of all that, it reuses all the same tropes found plenty of times already at Universal -- the "something bad happens to use" plot, splashing water and shooting fire at you, etc. I also think it's tough to hear the dialogue effectively.

The queue is fantastic though once you hit the bank though, I'd agree.

It's a great addition, mind you. I just don't think it stands out much among Uni's other offerings and feel it did nothing to displace FJ or Spider-Man from the perch of being the best ride at Uni (and arguably all of Orlando). If the Forbidden Forest coaster is a "game changer" in the same way, then I don't think WDW would have anything to worry about.

I wouldn't call it game changing. For me it's about preference. I liked FJ but I don't go crazy over it. I thought Gringotts was fun, I didn't feel like it was racing from screen to screen. FJ feels like going from screen to screen with the visuals on the screen not the greatest.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
FJ still makes me feel queasy, even with the changes supposedly to make it less so. Gringott's is more fun to me, but I think the lower restraints are very restrictive (same on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, not sure why they're extremely restrictive like that). I do agree that Gringott's is a lot of sitting and watching the action and more could be done with a better mix of live sets in front of the screens.

Sorry, helping to derail this thread.

I sincerely hope they don't use the same kind of restraints on the Excavator coaster! (there, fixed)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom