Trip Report Everything Is Just So Peachy Keen! *COMPLETED*

It certainly was for us Georgia peaches this last week! For those who may be new here, let us introduce ourselves. We are Tuvalu and Em, a mother-daughter duo who love traveling together to Walt Disney World. We take multiple trips per year (this was our third for 2022) and for us, time spent at our resort is just as important to us as time spent in the parks. Slow-paced relaxation is vital to us!

I’m sure this laid-back vibe is what draws people to cruises: pools, bars, a variety of restaurants and activities from which to choose . I can’t do ships. But I can happily “land cruise” at WDW!

Hope you decide to follow along and learn about the surprises on our most recent voyage.

When: July 20-27, 2022
Where: Disney’s Yacht Club and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge Resorts

7E160415-7A3A-4F3E-864F-F9C0094A947D.jpeg

Nothing can stop us now!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Have you ever heard anyone say, “YUM! Broccolini!” ?

Blank Face What GIF by Bross Bagels

I recall from past "Behind the Seeds" tours, that some of the vegetables grown at WDW, are used in the restaurants. Per you comment about the tomatoes, I was wondering if they might have come from their own hydroponic garden? Have you heard anything about this in any of your recent visits? (I haven't been there in over 4 years, so I'm not up to date on what procedures they continue to follow.)
The produce grown in the greenhouses is still used in restaurants. I always assumed Epcot restaurants, but I suppose the crops could be used elsewhere.

I loved this post! Woody's shirt is perfect for the occasion and your meal looked delicious. I'm glad you were able to get a stroll in before the rains came again. The Poly property pictures are so pretty!
Friends Thank You GIF

I really liked the Maui potatoes at 'Ohana as well. During the Covid shut down I pulled out one of my Disney cookbooks and made the recipe and it has become a staple at our house. They are so good.
Gut Koch GIF by Living Puppets

Sillysidewalker

The only attraction that I had hoped to ride (figuring the park would be packed on a Saturday) was my beloved Haunted Mansion. Standby was posted at 40 minutes, but we suspected the time was inflated based on our experiences thus far.

View attachment 684998

I took the picture above while standing in full-on sun. Woody and I proceeded to wait in the sunny part of the queue for over 10 minutes and NEVER MOVED. We were melting, after already being sweaty from our BTMRR wait and subsequent walk through Frontierland to Liberty Square.

“I can’t do this,” I said to Woody.

We decided to bail. Woody opened and closed the chains for us to exit.

A cast member noticed us and thought we had a Lightning Lane pass and had gotten in the wrong line. When we told him no, he simply said, “Follow me.”

Woody and I glanced at each other. We shrugged our shoulders and followed him.

The cast member led us here. The (not so) secret servants’ entrance!

View attachment 684997

He knocked three times and the door opened. We were in! The ultimate #ShirleyStatus!!

I was excited beyond belief. A backstage entrance would be almost as good as an on-ride evacuation.

Photo credit for the next two pictures belongs to @Sillysidewalker (yes I pilfered them from your TR, Jolene!) She and her family had access here due to their private tour. Our CM shared some of the same tidbits I’d read in her report.

Circled on the right are the keys to all rooms.

Circled on the left are the bells that notify the servants that their presence is required upstairs.

View attachment 684994
(The door with the Exit sign is where we’d entered.)

This mantle clock was formerly in Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion.

View attachment 684995

And the adjacent door leads into the foyer with the fireplace and aging portrait of Master Gracey. Woody and I waited for other guests in this spot before joining them in stretching room.

Our ride continued as usual, with no disruptions by playful spooks.

View attachment 684999

What a fun surprise for our last day!
I have been so busy with life (kids) I haven’t been on the boards. I love that you got to use the not so secret entrance during your trip. Merry Christmas @Tuvalu !

Songbird76

Saturday, con’t

Woody and I headed into Fantasyland after lunch. I decided I ought to use a restroom before our next attraction and we were in the vicinity of the “Prince” and “Princess” restrooms next to Pinocchio’s Village Haus. We tend to avoid these (as they are small and need some TLC) but we were there, so….

Whenever I think I’ve seen it all at WDW, I am surprised by something new.

When I walked in, I did not expect to see a naked 3-year-old princess sitting in a sink, taking a bath. Her hair had been wet down as well, and mom was lathering her with soap from the wall dispenser. I did a double take before heading into a stall. The child did not appear sick and mom was acting the way moms do when bathing a child. In other words, it did not appear to be an emergency situation.

Let’s just say it was incredibly awkward when I washed and dried my hands. (Remember that restroom is small!)

Woody could tell by the expression on my face that something was amiss. “Just another reason we shouldn’t use these bathrooms,” I whispered as we made our way here:

View attachment 685631

View attachment 685630

View attachment 685632

I really like the digital remaster of the film and the addition of the Coco scene. What I did not like today was sitting directly behind a woman who did not have the courtesy to remove her Minnie ears!!

View attachment 685633

View attachment 685634
I would suggest if this happens again, just tap the person on the shoulder and ask if they would please remove the ears. I know from experience that after a while, you forget you're wearing them and it's easy to forget you need to take them off. I'd appreciate the reminder, as long as it was done in a polite way. Now if someone was a jerk about it and accused me of being rude by leaving them on, I might be more snarky, but I wouldn't refuse to remove them. I would HOPE most people would comply....it's a completely reasonable request. If I left them on, it would be purely forgetfulness that I had them on in the first place.

Songbird76

I believe the current menu is the same as it was in August. Not sure when (or if) skewered meats will return.

View attachment 686604

The bread was warm. Woody is not a fan of the macadamia-nut butter but I like it. The dressing on the salad was light and not overpowering. The tomatoes tasted garden fresh!

View attachment 686605

The honey-coriander chicken wings were a different recipe and NOT the same. :arghh: They were chewy and saucy rather than marinated and crisp. After one bite we each put ours down.

The pot stickers on the other hand were EXCELLENT. Hot inside, crispy outside, we finished them all!

View attachment 686606

The noodles had a peanutty flavor but could have used a little sauce. They were stiff and dry. Honestly, I’ve never forgiven ‘Ohana for getting rid of their scalloped Maui potatoes (glad I have the recipe!)

The broccolini went untouched.

Loved, loved, loved the wood-grilled chicken and perfectly-cooked beef. (We refused the shrimp and can’t comment on it.)

View attachment 686607

The chimichurri sauce was so delicious!

View attachment 686608

I even scooped some to use on my steak.

View attachment 686609

Did we have room for bread pudding?

Barely.

But we’re glad we decided to hurt ourselves because this dessert was….
Two Thumbs Up Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

View attachment 686611

Woody and I left the restaurant pleased.

Very pleased.
Would you mind sharing the maui potato recipe, please? I have only heard about them on the DFB, but by the time we started going on Disney trips that were planned out, they had already switched to the noodles, which I really like, but I wish I could have tried those potatoes.

Also, when you say you refused the shrimp, did you just tell them not to bring it? E and I are planning to make an ADR for Ohana on our summer trip and neither of us eat seafood, so it would be a waste for them to bring the shrimp. I'd rather just skip that so we waste less. And we LOVE veggies...I'd want extra broccolini...that seems a perfect trade off to me. Give us more veggies in place of the shrimp. Can you just ask for that kind of thing?

Songbird76

Have you ever heard anyone say, “YUM! Broccolini!” ?
Thats Me I Am GIF by Ryn Dean

ME!!! I LOVE Broccolini! Broccoli, brussels sprouts, cooked spinach, asparagus, green beans.....any of it. Give me ALL the vegetables. Except green pepper. I don't like green pepper. I'm a very picky eater, but one thing I've never been picky about is veggies.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Would you mind sharing the maui potato recipe, please? I have only heard about them on the DFB, but by the time we started going on Disney trips that were planned out, they had already switched to the noodles, which I really like, but I wish I could have tried those potatoes.

Also, when you say you refused the shrimp, did you just tell them not to bring it? E and I are planning to make an ADR for Ohana on our summer trip and neither of us eat seafood, so it would be a waste for them to bring the shrimp. I'd rather just skip that so we waste less. And we LOVE veggies...I'd want extra broccolini...that seems a perfect trade off to me. Give us more veggies in place of the shrimp. Can you just ask for that kind of thing?
Yes, we told our server not to bring the shrimp since we don’t eat seafood. It wasn’t a problem. Had I known we’d be getting broccolini (it was not mentioned on the menu) I would have said, “hold the broccolini please.”

‘Ohana is all you can eat so you can request whatever you’d like more of. I believe we asked for more beef.

Here’s a great step-by-step for the Maui potatoes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom