Ever had this happen before? A turnstile saga...

eliza61nyc

I get your point, but the MB proves you have an AP. Had he just asked for ID that's no problem. I didn't have the AP card on me. Didn't know I needed it for anything.
If you use your ap to get a discount they don't ask to see it?? lol when I'm at disney springs the first thing I ask any store is do they have a DVC or an AP discount. I have had to show it every time and at every restaurant also. I keep both with me.

Bpmorley

Well, you’re not in the right because you refused to comply with the rules for using an AP. The MagicBand is tied to an AP holder, which may or may not have been the person trying to buy the item. The CM asked for the AP card in accordance with Disney’s rules and business practices. You think it would have been a better practice to ask for an ID, but it’s Disney’s business so they get to decide, based on factors you may not have considered.

I’m not surprised they gave you the shirt free, but that says nothing about you being in the right. It’s Disney - they’re used to seeing tantrums. It’s the equivalent of Disney (as indulgent parent) buying a toy (free shirt) for an unreasonable child threatening to hold his breath and turn blue (maybe not buying another AP?) if he doesn’t get his way.

Re your edit: Maybe if you had just explained you didn’t know you needed the card instead of arguing about how things “must” work and getting louder until a manager came, there would have been a greater incentive to accommodate you.
Well I was in the right. I dind't refuse anything. I tried to explain that I didn't have the card and that maybe he could just scan my MB, but every time I got 2 words out he would cut me off with " sir, you need the card" He probably said it more than 10 times before I could get out that I didn't have it. So then it was time for me to be rude. Look, you weren't there and I know I'm not very good at explaining stuff on here cause I can't type as fast as I think. I was glad when the manager came but he was no help. It wasn't a tantrum. He got rude, I got rude. it happens.

Bpmorley

Yeah - the laugh is totally on them. They sent you a shirt worth pennies because you acted like a toddler in public. And in your letter - can I assume you made sure to let them know you "got louder til a manager came" and that you said they should "call for an ambulance" because you couldn't get your precious shirt.
Actually yes. I didn't get louder to make anyone come over. I got louder as the kid kept interrupting me and rolling his eyes. The amulance comment had nothing to do with a shirt at this point, more a bad attitude brought on by the attempt of a question.

Bpmorley

If you use your ap to get a discount they don't ask to see it?? lol when I'm at disney springs the first thing I ask any store is do they have a DVC or an AP discount. I have had to show it every time and at every restaurant also. I keep both with me.
The only thing I usually have in my wallet is my disney visa. When they ask I just say, AP, DVC, Disney visa and they apply the discount. Usually whichever is the highest.

jaklgreen

I think this all stems from the different tools Disney CMs actually have.

What a Point of Sale Terminal can do... may be different from what a FP control point does... may be different from what a iPad held by a FP aid does... and is different from what a Guest Relations account can do.

Yes they all use a magicband as a token to help pull up accounts.. but not all interfaces have the same data exposed.

I don't know exactly what the limits of the POS systems are.. but you'd imagine it would be very limited and focused.

It has to be for various reasons... the most basic most people should be able to respect is remember when nextgen was coming and everyone was like "zOMG I can't believe DIsney is going to let every tom, ****, and harry see everything about my family, my vacation, what I am doing, blah blah blah" - They don't. Information is controlled.. and limiting what different positions do is exactly part of that model.

I will say tho.. that the data the guest relations people have on your past ticket history.. is pretty amazing :)

Oh, I agree that they probably do not have all access at their POS system. But I am thinking that once the manager got involved, the Disney thing to do is to maybe have them call guest services to verify it or just to give it to him. In the end, he got his damn shirt anyway. While I do not agree with giving into people of make threats, they could have just let him buy it before it got to that point. It is just a stupid t-shirt anyway. Customer service is so inconsistent at WDW.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh, I agree that they probably do not have all access at their POS system. But I am thinking that once the manager got involved, the Disney thing to do is to maybe have them call guest services to verify it or just to give it to him. In the end, he got his damn shirt anyway. While I do not agree with giving into people of make threats, they could have just let him buy it before it got to that point. It is just a stupid t-shirt anyway. Customer service is so inconsistent at WDW.

My guess... probably a case of vinegar instead of honey... even after the manager got involved

eliza61nyc

The only thing I usually have in my wallet is my disney visa. When they ask I just say, AP, DVC, Disney visa and they apply the discount. Usually whichever is the highest.
Wow, they ask to see the cards every time, sometimes not at a restaurant but every store i've used a discount they've asked. In fact a couple of times my son's have had to come get me to show the card. I have mine all the time.

jaklgreen

Wow, they ask to see the cards every time, sometimes not at a restaurant but every store i've used a discount they've asked. In fact a couple of times my son's have had to come get me to show the card. I have mine all the time.
Same with me, every single time regardless of whether I am in the parks or at a resort gift shop.

spacemtnfanatic

Yes they did. I didn't start out rude, til he did. As I'm trying to say about the magicband his eyes would roll he would just keep interrupting me. It probably took me 5 minutes to complete a sentence. To be honest, if I wasn't in disney there's good chance he'd have gotten popped.

I missed this gem earlier. You really make yourself look foolish by saying you would have physically assulted someone for explaining a policy in a way you did not interpret as acceptable. You wonder why people who work in customer service are short and roll their eyes sometimes? Because they are serving customers who literally consider assulting them over following policies.

Tony the Tigger

The only time I was ever asked to show my AP card was at MVMCP and wanted to buy a passholder-only item. I didn't have it on me. But I asked the guy to just scan my magicband it's on their. He said it doesn't work that way. I argued that it must, because the guy giving out the bands at the front of the park knew I was an AP holder when he scanned it. I got louder til a manager came. They held their ground and refused to sell me the shirt. Actually even said they were getting ready for security to come. I told them they should call for an ambulance too. I waited and nothing. Laugh is on them. I wrote disney when I got home, explained what happened and they sent me the shirt for free.

You were completely wrong, and sure as heck didn’t deserve a shirt. Who do you think you are?

If I need to dig out that card, the line will Grow. Hence the purpose of the magic band, convenience, is defeated.

So have it at the ready, like I do. What’s so hard?

Re your edit: Maybe if you had just explained you didn’t know you needed the card instead of arguing about how things “must” work and getting louder until a manager came, there would have been a greater incentive to accommodate you.

In point of fact, a CM at a Main Street shop asked for my card years ago, and for whatever reason, we never got one that year, and had never been asked before. I was polite, and she gave me the discount anyway, and said we could pick up cards at GS. We thanked her and did that - without getting offended or crying about it like babies on the internet.

CM’s are people, and they may react according to how you treat them.

And if you're required to use the card for everything,

You are. It doesn’t have to make sense; that’s how it is. When you weren’t asked, you “got away with it.” You have no right to not be asked.

I think this all stems from the different tools Disney CMs actually have.

What a Point of Sale Terminal can do... may be different from what a FP control point does... may be different from what a iPad held by a FP aid does... and is different from what a Guest Relations account can do.

Yes they all use a magicband as a token to help pull up accounts.. but not all interfaces have the same data exposed.

I don't know exactly what the limits of the POS systems are.. but you'd imagine it would be very limited and focused.

It has to be for various reasons... the most basic most people should be able to respect is remember when nextgen was coming and everyone was like "zOMG I can't believe DIsney is going to let every tom, ****, and harry see everything about my family, my vacation, what I am doing, blah blah blah" - They don't. Information is controlled.. and limiting what different positions do is exactly part of that model.

I will say tho.. that the data the guest relations people have on your past ticket history.. is pretty amazing :)

I thought this was obvious. Just because Mickey’s Head turns a certain color, that doesn’t mean you’re an AP; it means your ticket is valid for entry. At the toll booths, they can check your AP status. That doesn’t mean they can do it everywhere.

Polite

This is why we can't have nice things. I don't understand why people struggle to comply with simple requests. My mom always taught me to be nice. I'm guessing many other moms and dads also had these conversations, they just didn't stick? The world would be a much better place if people could just be nice to one another.

draybook

Original Poster
You were completely wrong, and sure as heck didn’t deserve a shirt. Who do you think you are?

So have it at the ready, like I do. What’s so hard?

In point of fact, a CM at a Main Street shop asked for my card years ago, and for whatever reason, we never got one that year, and had never been asked before. I was polite, and she gave me the discount anyway, and said we could pick up cards at GS. We thanked her and did that - without getting offended or crying about it like babies on the internet.

CM’s are people, and they may react according to how you treat them.

You are. It doesn’t have to make sense; that’s how it is. When you weren’t asked, you “got away with it.” You have no right to not be asked.

I thought this was obvious. Just because Mickey’s Head turns a certain color, that doesn’t mean you’re an AP; it means your ticket is valid for entry. At the toll booths, they can check your AP status. That doesn’t mean they can do it everywhere.

Yeah, we've been over this, little guy. I've already admitted to assuming that their 2 billion dollar system would be able to scan only APs. That's on me for assuming. If you want to continue beating the dead horse and get something off of your chest, be a man and pm me and we can converse about it. Otherwise, quit being a nag.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom