Ever had this happen before? A turnstile saga...

Goofyernmost

We hear so much about how angry people get if someone is cutting the line. There you were standing in the non-AP line and when you saw someone go into the park via the AP line, you moved out of the regular line and went to the AP line. Then the CM asked to see your AP card because it isn't printed across your forehead and she had every reason to think you might have just crossed over to get in quicker. All the time saying that you have an AP and you know how this works. Did you? Why were you in the wrong line? Humans are movable so why would you assume that that part was closed if there wasn't a sign saying so. I'd just think that since you jumped from one to the other that you might have been trying to beat the system. You should want them to verify. Just because it registered "green" doesn't mean anything. They don't special program to only allow AP through the machines to my knowledge. That's why they pay a CM to stand there.

Now consider that you are walking up to the AP line and someone jumps over from one side to the other and gets ahead of you. Wouldn't you want the CM to make sure that they belonged there before they activated the system that lets them in?

Last edited:

Tori

Well, if she hadn't been standing in front of the turnstile, we would have known that lane was open. And it wasn't just us, there were several groups behind us that expressed the same thing. Plus, she just assumed I wasn't an AP holder, she didn't ask to start with. I'm actually behind your idea of scrapping it, since it's a nuisance sometimes.

You assumed that the line was closed.

draybook

Original Poster
Why do you think that means something?

Sometimes we get asked; sometimes we don’t.

That doesn’t mean things are being done correctly when we don’t.

That also doesn’t mean someone is mistreating or insulting us when we do.

So our solution is to always have our cards ready at that point. I’m sure you can handle that.

Your solution is to act like you were wronged and whine, literally taking away from your trip while you’re still there.

It may have been a newer CM who still follows the rules.

Sometimes they’ll ask for ID to buy a drink, too.

They can be fined and such by the federal government for selling alcohol to minors or those not qualified to purchase it. They cannot face such consequences for letting a non AP through the AP line. Comparison fail on your part.

Also, if I'm just whining, why do you follow my posts and always comment or use the little emojis? I get it, you want an autograph. No problem, little fella. Just find me in the parks and I'll gladly sign your Mickey ears or shoes or something. I always have time for my fans.

Chi84

Premium Member
The AP turnstiles are not set to reject non-AP holders. Unless it's a very busy time of the year, the AP holder and the other members of his or her party are allowed to use the line - I sent Disney an email asking about this when the lines first opened and they responded that this is the case. It wouldn't be much of a benefit if DH and I could use the AP line and then had to wait on the other side for our daughter and son-in-law to go through a different line. I find that life is just more fun if I don't make a big deal out of life's minor inconveniences. Others feel differently.

draybook

Original Poster
You assumed that the line was closed.

Yeah, every single person on that side of the turnstile entrance assumed it because she was standing IN FRONT OF the Mickey readers. Seriously, do I need to draw a picture with crayon for some of you? If someone is standing in front of a turnstile and not NEXT TO it, it gives the indication that it's not in use. Other AP holders behind us even commented about it appearing to be closed or else they would have gone there as well.

draybook

Original Poster
We hear so much about how angry people get if someone is cutting the line. There you were standing in the non-AP line and when you saw someone go into the park via the AP line, you moved out of the regular line and went to the AP line. Then the CM asked to see your AP card because it isn't printed across your forehead and she had every reason to think you might have just crossed over to get in quicker. All the time saying that you have an AP and you know how this works. Did you? Why were you in the wrong line? Humans are movable so why would you assume that that part was closed it there wasn't a sign saying so. I just think that since you jumped from one to the other that you might have been trying to beat the system. You should want them to verify. Just because it registered "green" doesn't mean anything. They don't special program to only allow AP through the machines to my knowledge. That's why they pay a CM to stand there.

Now consider that you are walking up to the AP line and someone jumps over from one side to the other and gets ahead of you. Wouldn't you want the CM to make sure that they belonged there before they activated the system that lets you in?

Again, why is reading so hard? The only reason we were in the regular line is because the doofus was standing IN FRONT OF the turnstile. And then she assumed I wasn't a holder. She didn't start by asking, she assumed I wasn't.

Tori

Yeah, every single person on that side of the turnstile entrance assumed it because she was standing IN FRONT OF the Mickey readers. Seriously, do I need to draw a picture with crayon for some of you? If someone is standing in front of a turnstile and not NEXT TO it, it gives the indication that it's not in use. Other AP holders behind us even commented about it appearing to be closed or else they would have gone there as well.

If it were closed the touch points would've been covered. All you had to do was ask if they were open.

MattC

Why do you think that means something?

Sometimes we get asked; sometimes we don’t.

That doesn’t mean things are being done correctly when we don’t.

That also doesn’t mean someone is mistreating or insulting us when we do.

So our solution is to always have our cards ready at that point. I’m sure you can handle that.

Your solution is to act like you were wronged and whine, literally taking away from your trip while you’re still there.

It may have been a newer CM who still follows the rules.

Sometimes they’ll ask for ID to buy a drink, too.
We hear so much about how angry people get if someone is cutting the line. There you were standing in the non-AP line and when you saw someone go into the park via the AP line, you moved out of the regular line and went to the AP line. Then the CM asked to see your AP card because it isn't printed across your forehead and she had every reason to think you might have just crossed over to get in quicker. All the time saying that you have an AP and you know how this works. Did you? Why were you in the wrong line? Humans are movable so why would you assume that that part was closed it there wasn't a sign saying so. I just think that since you jumped from one to the other that you might have been trying to beat the system. You should want them to verify. Just because it registered "green" doesn't mean anything. They don't special program to only allow AP through the machines to my knowledge. That's why they pay a CM to stand there.

Now consider that you are walking up to the AP line and someone jumps over from one side to the other and gets ahead of you. Wouldn't you want the CM to make sure that they belonged there before they activated the system that lets you in?

Thanks guys. Common sense. 👍

KBLovedDisney

I went through the AP turnstiles a dozen times last August without showing my AP card and was never questioned.
Maybe I have that "You can trust me." look..............:angelic:
I must have that look too because after I turned 21 many years ago, I never get carded at restaurants or grocery stores for alcohol.

At first, it was depressing. But I asked my DH about it, and he said it's because I have RBF. This I did not know.

draybook

Original Poster
I mean... it's not like what could have triggered her behavior was seeing you leave the regular line and try to switch to the AP line. Nooo.... it's not anything to consider.... it has to be people making assumptions about YOU

Your lack of common sense is hilarious. If you don't stand IN FRONT OF the turnstile, people wouldn't have to switch lanes. See how that works? And it wasn't just us that went over, it was other AP holders who assumed it was closed due to her blocking it.

If you want to argue just to argue, knock yourself out.

Tori

I mean... it's not like what could have triggered her behavior was seeing you leave the regular line and try to switch to the AP line. Nooo.... it's not anything to consider.... it has to be people making assumptions about YOU

This.

He left the general line and went to AP line. When he should've just went to AP line to begin with..

Chi84

Premium Member
Well, if she hadn't been standing in front of the turnstile, we would have known that lane was open. And it wasn't just us, there were several groups behind us that expressed the same thing. Plus, she just assumed I wasn't an AP holder, she didn't ask to start with. I'm actually behind your idea of scrapping it, since it's a nuisance sometimes.
I'm sure the CM's have the right to ask to see the card whether or not they do so every time. I don't think they're required to assume you're an AP holder just because you get in the line, although it would have been better for her to ask if you had an AP than to assume you didn't. In any case, if you had simply answered "I am" instead of the passive aggressive "I know," she may not have asked to see the card. All you told her was that you knew the line was for AP holders, and the fact that the turnstile let you through means nothing because it is not set to reject non-AP holders. For all she knew, you were just one of those people who believe the rules don't apply to them.

Incorrect assumptions were made on both parts. Is it possible you would have acted differently if you didn't incorrectly assume that the turnstile was set to reject non-AP holders?

draybook

Original Poster
This.

He left the general line and went to AP line. When he should've just went to AP line to begin with..

There are four readers on the turnstile that has the AP line. She was blocking the two left ones and we were lined up for the right two. We didn't walk half way across the park to jump a line, we literally walked a foot to the left AFTER she stopped blocking it. Is this really that hard to comprehend?

draybook

Original Poster
I'm sure the CM's have the right to ask to see the card whether or not they do so every time. I don't think they're required to assume you're an AP holder just because you get in the line, although it would have been better for her to ask if you had an AP than to assume you didn't. In any case, if you had simply answered "I am" instead of the passive aggressive "I know," she may not have asked to see the card. All you told her was that you knew the line was for AP holders, and the fact that the turnstile let you through means nothing because it is not set to reject non-AP holders. For all she knew, you were just one of those people who believe the rules don't apply to them.

Incorrect assumptions were made on both parts. Is it possible you would have acted differently if you didn't incorrectly assume that the turnstile was set to reject non-AP holders?

Absolutely. Had she asked me if I had an AP, I definitely would have popped it out of my wallet.

Edited to add: just like at the parking booth. They sometimes ask to see my ID after scanning my band or AP card. Although it's a hassle to have to get it, I do it willingly and politely because they ask.

Just to clarify here: the girl wasn't saying anything to anyone walking up to let them know the line was open or to have AP cards out. She was literally just standing in front of the readers, about 2 feet out. No indication that they were open. It's not guest's responsibility to ask if they're open.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Absolutely. Had she asked me if I had an AP, I definitely would have popped it out of my wallet.

Edited to add: just like at the parking booth. They sometimes ask to see my ID after scanning my band or AP card. Although it's a hassle to have to get it, I do it willingly and politely because they ask.

Just to clarify here: the girl wasn't saying anything to anyone walking up to let them know the line was open or to have AP cards out. She was literally just standing in front of the readers, about 2 feet out. No indication that they were open. It's not guest's responsibility to ask if they're open.
I was asking more about the part where you saw it turn green and said "see, I'm an AP holder and I know what I'm doing and how this works." Apparently, you didn't. I was asking if you would have acted differently if you didn't incorrectly assume that the turnstile turning green would show her you were an AP holder.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom