Ever get a scare just before your trip is to happen?

JIMINYCR

Original Poster
Our 2020 trip like so many others was cancelled which devastated us. We then moved on with a discussion about a follow up trip in 2021. We quickly decided that despite masks, distancing, mobile ordering, missing fireworks and having many of the things we look forward to experiencing disappear, we booked a trip. Plans made, countdown was started and today we are sitting at 15 days. DW gets a call from DS this morning. He went golfing for the first time this year with friends yesterday. His friend was hitting a ball off the tee, DS was standing off to the side and the ball rocketed to the side hitting DS squarely in the knee. Swelling, redness, bruising, pain, sends him to the hospital for x rays. Fortunately its severely bruised but no damage discovered. Treat with ice and take aspirin.
Then he tells DW that last night he goes to his second job which is bouncing at a local bar and 4 guys enter without masks. They are confronted by DS and 2 other bouncers who politely explain the rules and try to get them to comply. They refuse. Tensions rise, tempers start flaring and DS leaves to call the police. While he is away a fight breaks out and fortunately ends quickly without anyone hurt. Fortunately DS wasnt involved.
So now I'm telling DS.... We are going to WDW in just 15 days. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Isolate yourself from all others. Dont do anything to get hurt or jeopardize our trip.
Whats happened to you or your family members just prior to leaving that gave you a real scare?

Michaelson

Literally the day before we were to drive down, my co-worker came down with a stomach bug. They were my ONLY back up in the job I have.

Fortunately my boss said 'it's your vacation, don't worry about it! If we have to reschedule work until you get back, that's what we'll do!'

Bless him!

Oh, the up side was my co-worker got over it quickly, as it was a 24 hour bug, and I didn't get it.....and no work had to be rescheduled...but I was sweating bullets for a bit that day!:eek:

Regards! Michaelson

MissViv

Years ago when my daughter was around 11, she had a bad landing in gymnastics class and broke both arms. Not sure how far out our DW trip was scheduled but we went to Disney with her in casts on both arms. She had a blast, even got in the pool with plastic bags on her casts.

Nothing was stopping her from going on this trip!

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
We had to cancel a trip once since my older brother needed emergency surgery and mom wanted to stay behind for him.

Other than that I've gotten colds before/during my stay which made those trips less enjoyable overall.

Monkee Girl

my first trip with my cousin we had a fluke snow storm the night before our flight out in February. The flight was cancelled and I got snowed in at her house and she had to make all kinds of calls to rearrange hotel nights/dining reservations and all that stuff. The bonus was we ended up gaining a day in Florida due to the flight schedule and got to check out SeaWorld instead of buying an extra park hopper.

Another time, my aunt joined us. Her and I drove while the cousin and daughter and some other family flew. We decided to try the end of September because the rates were cheaper...but then we got tornado/hurricane warnings. My aunt and I left earlier than planned to try and beat out the storm but we got stuck in Virginia and had to spend the night at a hotel. Trying to find a hotel in the middle of a crazy storm was 'fun'.

Either were crazy scary...well...driving in the hurricanes were...but both trips ended up fine after all the hassle.

MoragL

Our 2020 trip like so many others was cancelled which devastated us. We then moved on with a discussion about a follow up trip in 2021. We quickly decided that despite masks, distancing, mobile ordering, missing fireworks and having many of the things we look forward to experiencing disappear, we booked a trip. Plans made, countdown was started and today we are sitting at 15 days. DW gets a call from DS this morning. He went golfing for the first time this year with friends yesterday. His friend was hitting a ball off the tee, DS was standing off to the side and the ball rocketed to the side hitting DS squarely in the knee. Swelling, redness, bruising, pain, sends him to the hospital for x rays. Fortunately its severely bruised but no damage discovered. Treat with ice and take aspirin.
Then he tells DW that last night he goes to his second job which is bouncing at a local bar and 4 guys enter without masks. They are confronted by DS and 2 other bouncers who politely explain the rules and try to get them to comply. They refuse. Tensions rise, tempers start flaring and DS leaves to call the police. While he is away a fight breaks out and fortunately ends quickly without anyone hurt. Fortunately DS wasnt involved.
So now I'm telling DS.... We are going to WDW in just 15 days. Wrap yourself in bubble wrap. Isolate yourself from all others. Dont do anything to get hurt or jeopardize our trip.
Whats happened to you or your family members just prior to leaving that gave you a real scare?
We were 5 days out from our very 1st Disney trip and I got a call saying my daughter broke her arm. Well that sucks but not the end of the world. My thoughts were fine, slap a cast on it and we are good to go. Well it turns out it was a major break of her humerous right in half and she didn't even get out of the hospital until the night before our trip. There was no way she could come with us and I felt like a terrible mother for going without her. Luckily I had a wonderful neighbour who would keep an eye on her. So in the end I went back with her 5 months later with our wonderful neighbour and her daughter came with us. So I got an unexpected bonus trip out of the deal!

Same daughter broke same arm shortly before our 3rd Disney trip but thankfully she wasn't scheduled to go with us.

correcaminos

About a week or so before leaving, a gust of about 50mph wind caused my car door to slam into my ankle, right on the bone. 2dr car so heavy door. Xray showed the goose egg was only a bone bruise. Hurt like crazy but I could still walk.

Last year we were packing to leave 3 days later when the parks were closed. 4 canceled trips due to closure or quarantine restrictions later and we're due back in just over a month...

tagguy

Well, we were walking out the door on the "day of" our trip to DW at 6 am, where we were to meet up with our out of state children and grandchildren. As we were headed to our car for our 9 hour trip south, my wife missed the last step on our porch and severely sprained her ankle. She said she'd be alright, so we didn't go to a clinic until we got to Orlando, where we waited for it seemed like hours to get X-rays. Doc said stay off of it. Well it was a wheelchair Disney trip. The good news is my wife is fine and we got to go to the front of the line at attractions, for all 11 of us. The grandchildren took turns pushing grandma and we had a place to store all of our stuff. Still had a great time.

COrunner

Before our Disney Cruise 2 years ago had a freak out because to get the DD a passport card you need to send an original birth cert. Waiting, waiting, waiting. Was 3 days from Cruising and nothing. Called them and they said 'no problem if she doesn't have the passport card, just bring the birth certificate...' Which to get another copy/original we would need to get it from CO which was states away. Luckily the grandparents still lived in the state AND because of the state guidelines I had to send them a copy of my birth certificate to prove who they were so they could get an original. Seriously was full on freaking out.

Then when we returned the cruise, in the mail, the passport card/birth cert arrived the day we flew out.

Whippet Mom

How about a cancer diagnosis? My husband was diagnosed recently, This upcoming trip will be our last one.. 😭

PreciselyPenny

This was sort of a scare. In 2010 we were having a particularly cold winter. It was on a Friday in mid December and I was to leave for WDW the next day. I woke up freezing. Our furnace wouldn't come on. I called the HVAC people and they said I needed a part that they would have to order. It may take up to a week to get. My husband was in the bedroom barley able to get out of bed for food and poo, yeah, don't judge me, he was an abusive alcoholic and deserved it. Anyway, the technician said he would try to at least get it on but couldn't guarantee it would come back on after it cycled off. While he was working on it I went in to my husband and told him I was still going to WDW and if the heat wouldn't come back on it was cold enough to preserve his body until I got home. Even he laughed.

Disdude71

Sort of a scare...Last year, a day before my February trip I came down with a bad cold. I felt so terrible I wanted to postpone the trip but since I was leaving the next day it was really too late to make changes, so I sucked it up and went anyway. I felt bad the whole trip. I was coughing, and exhausted and did my best to keep away from everyone so as not to make others sick. I just felt like I did not have a good time. This was my first time experiencing Galaxy's Edge and the Skyliner but I could not muster up enough energy to enjoy it. I am glad I did not postpone, however because the cold got steadily worse and developed into bronchitis. I could not have postponed it for long anyway as a few weeks after my trip the whole place shut down for Covid. I did not have Covid, btw. I have a "make up" trip scheduled for two weeks from now and I am keeping my fingers crossed for good health.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom