Ever get a letter from a rental car company saying you damaged the car?

luv

Original Poster
Damaged, not dammed. Auto-correct.

I rented a car from Avis about a month ago. Now I got a letter asking for details on the damage to the vehicle, specifically the "FB HOOD", whatever that is. Avis wants all this information about something that never happened.

There was no damage to this car. There was no accident. Nothing. I swear. When I dropped it off, they said nothing.

I call the insurance company and they want to set something up filing a claim.

I'll call a lawyer tomorrow, I guess...after I find out what kind of lawyer handles this.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did it work out?

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
A month, you say?
I had damage done to a rental car, which I turned in on October 2. Wonder if this means that I'm in the clear.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
When I rent a car here they do a walk around with me and I sign off, when I come back with the car they do a walk about again and I get a clean receipt. Is it different down there?

I now just purchase insurance for the vehicle I rent. I am duplicating what I have but it is worth not playing this game with rental cars. I had one try and pull the same thing years ago when I was returning a car given to me after I was in an auto accident. It came to me damaged but I took exceptions to every nick and scratch when I signed for the car.

luv

Original Poster
A month, you say?
I had damage done to a rental car, which I turned in on October 2. Wonder if this means that I'm in the clear.
Lol, I guess you are.

I did not damage the car. If I had, I'd have owned up to it and paid for the damages.
When I rent a car here they do a walk around with me and I sign off, when I come back with the car they do a walk about again and I get a clean receipt. Is it different down there?

I now just purchase insurance for the vehicle I rent. I am duplicating what I have but it is worth not playing this game with rental cars. I had one try and pull the same thing years ago when I was returning a car given to me after I was in an auto accident. It came to me damaged but I took exceptions to every nick and scratch when I signed for the car.
They said nothing when I dropped it off and there was nothing noted on my receipt, which was emailed.

I will fight it. Even if I have to pay a lawyer, since I don't think I know one who specializes in Bogus Rental Car Charges. I'd rather pay a lawyer a couple thousand dollars than pay these guys one cent of money i shouldn't have to.

This is a scam. They have to be doing this to people to get them to buy unnecessary insurance.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Lol, I guess you are.

I did not damage the car. If I had, I'd have owned up to it and paid for the damages.

They said nothing when I dropped it off and there was nothing noted on my receipt, which was emailed.

I will fight it. Even if I have to pay a lawyer, since I don't think I know one who specializes in Bogus Rental Car Charges. I'd rather pay a lawyer a couple thousand dollars than pay these guys one cent of money i shouldn't have to.

This is a scam. They have to be doing this to people to get them to buy unnecessary insurance.
Just so I don't sound like a total d-bag, let me explain.

Someone backed into me, either at DHS or the POP parking lot.
I emailed my insurance agent back home immediately. She said that I was not required to actually point out the scratches (rear bumper), but that I would have to acknowledge the damage if they discovered it.

I decided to let fate decide.
Hoping I actually caught a break for a change. Your story, however, makes me nervous all over again.

Had you left them a credit card? My thoughts were that they would just ding my card for the damage.

luv

Original Poster
Jenn, I am not passing judgement on you! I'm just cracking up that you knew about damage and got nothing and I had none and get a letter. :)

I even once told u-haul about a dent I put in their truck. They said there were so many little dents and they didn't care. But I own up to stuff. I really do. If I'm at fault, I'm always the first one to say, Yes, I'm at fault. But I'm not here.

I notice that the letter says I had one kind of car and the receipt says I had another kind of car. This is embarrassing to admit, but I am not certain which car I had. I'm not even sure of the color except that it wasn't white. I'm truly lucky when I can remember the name of my own car. I think I had the one they're saying is damaged. The receipt also says I put 300 miles on the other car and I know I didn't drive even 100 miles.

I'm canceling that card tomorrow so they can't charge it, but that won't stop much.

My family offered to pick me up at the airport several times. "No, no. You guys have enough going on with making dinner and a new baby! I can rent a car! It's no big deal! No, won't hear of it! NO and that's that."

Idiot. Next time, I won't rent, lol.

StarWarsGirl

I'm too young to rent a car:p

Anyway, my dad, when he gets a rental, always walks around it twice. Once when he gets the car and once when he returns it. He writes down if he sees damage, and he tells them right then. Then he brings it back and checks again for damage. There's never been any the handful of times we've rented a car. If there were, I assume he'd be honest about it. I believe (I'm not 100% sure) he gets the insurance just in case. Note: my father is a lawyer.

Not that any of this really helps you, but for future reference. Two walks around and documenting damage should prevent this kind of thing from happening.

And my guess would be a lawyer that handles traffic infractions. Which is general practice.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Jenn, I am not passing judgement on you! I'm just cracking up that you knew about damage and got nothing and I had none and get a letter. :)

I even once told u-haul about a dent I put in their truck. They said there were so many little dents and they didn't care. But I own up to stuff. I really do. If I'm at fault, I'm always the first one to say, Yes, I'm at fault. But I'm not here.

I notice that the letter says I had one kind of car and the receipt says I had another kind of car. This is embarrassing to admit, but I am not certain which car I had. I'm not even sure of the color except that it wasn't white. I'm truly lucky when I can remember the name of my own car. I think I had the one they're saying is damaged. The receipt also says I put 300 miles on the other car and I know I didn't drive even 100 miles.

I'm canceling that card tomorrow so they can't charge it, but that won't stop much.

My family offered to pick me up at the airport several times. "No, no. You guys have enough going on with making dinner and a new baby! I can rent a car! It's no big deal! No, won't hear of it! NO and that's that."

Idiot. Next time, I won't rent, lol.
Your receipt should tell you how many miles you put on the car. As it should show it was returned to them without any noted damage. And to be honest, that's really all you need.

I received a similar telephone call about a car I rented, several months after the fact. I mentioned that to the person on the phone, along with the fact my receipt showed no damage on the vehicle. Never heard back from them again.

I would simply respond to the letter, attaching a copy of your receipt with it. That will show you returned the car you rented in good condition, which sounds like may be a different one than the one they've written you about. In the end, it could be a clerical mistake. But you do have a receipt from them, and that really should be the end of it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
FB-Hood most likely means Front Bumper - Hood. The only way you can get damage, in general to the front bumper and hood would have been to strike, or been struck by an object (another vehicle or pole, etc). If you turned the vehicle in and got a a receipt not noting damage, then you should be ok. I would also check with your credit card company first before canceling as I know some of them cover stuff like his as part of the perks o he card. I know my AMX does.

luv

Original Poster
Your receipt should tell you how many miles you put on the car. As it should show it was returned to them without any noted damage. And to be honest, that's really all you need.

I received a similar telephone call about a car I rented, several months after the fact. I mentioned that to the person on the phone, along with the fact my receipt showed no damage on the vehicle. Never heard back from them again.

I would simply respond to the letter, attaching a copy of your receipt with it. That will show you returned the car you rented in good condition, which sounds like may be a different one than the one they've written you about. In the end, it could be a clerical mistake. But you do have a receipt from them, and that really should be the end of it.
Tomorrow, I'll have a lawyer find out who the best lawyer is in the correct state. It should just be a few phone calls to get that info. Like I said, I'd rather pay the lawyer than give these crooks (or, possibly, clerical error-making people...shouldn't call them crooks until I'm sure, lol) one cent of my money. I'm not at fault and they don't deserve it.

I don't even try to fight for myself. The legal world is far too complicated for me and every time I try to handle things myself and end up turning it over, the lawyers say they should've been contacted first. I probably shouldn't have even called the insurance company. But what's done is done. Let them earn their money. ;)

When we did the walk-around, she said she put in that there was no damage and emailed the receipt. I barely glanced at the receipt when I got it and didn't notice the mileage - just the fees, lol. We'll see how it all turns out. :)

Thanks for the help!!! :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Tomorrow, I'll have a lawyer find out who the best lawyer is in the correct state. It should just be a few phone calls to get that info. Like I said, I'd rather pay the lawyer than give these crooks (or, possibly, clerical error-making people...shouldn't call them crooks until I'm sure, lol) one cent of my money. I'm not at fault and they don't deserve it.

I don't even try to fight for myself. The legal world is far too complicated for me and every time I try to handle things myself and end up turning it over, the lawyers say they should've been contacted first. I probably shouldn't have even called the insurance company. But what's done is done. Let them earn their money. ;)

When we did the walk-around, she said she put in that there was no damage and emailed the receipt. I barely glanced at the receipt when I got it and didn't notice the mileage - just the fees, lol. We'll see how it all turns out. :)

Thanks for the help!!! :)
If you've got a rental car endorsement on your policy, and your insurance covered you while driving the vehicle (assuming your policy covers PD on the vehicle you are driving, some insurance doesn't)...and you have the receipt / check out paperwork that says no damage, then you don't really need to hire a lawyer.

First, this will probably be a small claims matter.

Second, jurisdiction of the rental contract could be dicey (meaning inconvenient for you), but that least to...

Third...if you have all these things (proper insurance coverage for this sort of incident + proof that you were not at fault from the company (meaning the receipt)...the insurance company will take care of it for you.

luv

Original Poster
If you've got a rental car endorsement on your policy, and your insurance covered you while driving the vehicle (assuming your policy covers PD on the vehicle you are driving, some insurance doesn't)...and you have the receipt / check out paperwork that says no damage, then you don't really need to hire a lawyer.

First, this will probably be a small claims matter.

Second, jurisdiction of the rental contract could be dicey (meaning inconvenient for you), but that least to...

Third...if you have all these things (proper insurance coverage for this sort of incident + proof that you were not at fault from the company (meaning the receipt)...the insurance company will take care of it for you.
I assume I'm covered. I get everything. I'm an insurance company's dream - heavily insured and never file claims, lol.

I know they'll pay it, but I don't want them to. It's the principle of the thing. The rental car companies should not get paid because they make fraudulent insurance claims. I don't want them paid on my behalf.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I assume I'm covered. I get everything. I'm an insurance company's dream - heavily insured and never file claims, lol.

I know they'll pay it, but I don't want them to. It's the principle of the thing. The rental car companies should not get paid because they make fraudulent insurance claims. I don't want them paid on my behalf.
No. If you have proof, they won't pay it. Insurance companies just don't hand out claims money. Especially if they have overwhelming proof (as you indicated) that they don't have to pay the claim.

However, there is no such thing as "having everything" or "full coverage" with P&C auto. It's all a series of endorsements.

You would want to either check your DEC page (if you can read it) or ask an agent for clarification.

The specific things you are looking for are:

1) A Rental Car Endorsement (which would cover rental damages)
2) Comprehensive Coverage (what most people think of as "full coverage" is really a comprehensive endorsement to their policy)

If you already called the insurance company to report the issue, then you already have a claim open with them (whether you requested it or not). I'd leverage their infrastructure (which is a heck of a more lawyered up than Johnny Lawdude from the yellow pages) rather than spending your own cash defending a small claims court issue.

Of course, the choice is yours, and you have to be happy with it, so I wish you the best...

But, I work in P&C Auto Insurance, so you know where I'm coming from. They aren't just gonna cut a check to the rental car company ASSUMING you have the proper coverage (which means they are contractually bound to pay less deductible) and ESPECIALLY if you can provide them with proof they should not have to pay.

That being said, the rental car company could still try and come after you, but at that point you'd have all the paperwork from the insurance companies denial of third party claim to back you up in court...compounded with the receipt / check out paperwork from the rental car place. Pretty much a slam dunk small claims loss, and the rental car company, unless they are stupid, will back off if presented with this.

luv

Original Poster
No. If you have proof, they won't pay it. Insurance companies just don't hand out claims money. Especially if they have overwhelming proof (as you indicated) that they don't have to pay the claim.

However, there is no such thing as "having everything" or "full coverage" with P&C auto. It's all a series of endorsements.

You would want to either check your DEC page (if you can read it) or ask an agent for clarification.

The specific things you are looking for are:

1) A Rental Car Endorsement (which would cover rental damages)
2) Comprehensive Coverage (what most people think of as "full coverage" is really a comprehensive endorsement to their policy)

If you already called the insurance company to report the issue, then you already have a claim open with them (whether you requested it or not). I'd leverage their infrastructure (which is a heck of a more lawyered up than Johnny Lawdude from the yellow pages) rather than spending your own cash defending a small claims court issue.

Of course, the choice is yours, and you have to be happy with it, so I wish you the best...

But, I work in P&C Auto Insurance, so you know where I'm coming from. They aren't just gonna cut a check to the rental car company ASSUMING you have the proper coverage (which means they are contractually bound to pay less deductible) and ESPECIALLY if you can provide them with proof they should not have to pay.

That being said, the rental car company could still try and come after you, but at that point you'd have all the paperwork from the insurance companies denial of third party claim to back you up in court...compounded with the receipt / check out paperwork from the rental car place. Pretty much a slam dunk small claims loss, and the rental car company, unless they are stupid, will back off if presented with this.
I have every possible insurance available for the car. I don't pretend to know much about it, but I know there isn't one thing I could have that I don't, assuming the agent and the company didn't both lie to me. :)

I would not hire some guy out of a phone book. I know some very good attorneys. They don't do this sort of thing, but they'll certainly be able to find out what sort of lawyer, which state he needs to be in and will be able to get someone in that state to find out who the best lawyer for it is.

When I fight, I hire the best people to do the fighting. I don't mean "someone who specializes". I mean THE best one. It isn't cheap, but it is always worth it.

I will like hell allow this to get paid if there is anything I can do about it. If the insurance company decides it's easier to pay than fight, I would not be happy with that.

Seriously, it's the principle here. I didn't cause he damage and I will not pay, nor do I want anyone paying for me. Even if that's cheaper. It's just wrong. IMO. :)

If I did it, I'd totally pay. Since I didn't, I totally won't.

I don't even know if this will be corporate Avis or what. I have no idea who all we will actually be dealing with, legally. But the letter is on Avis letterhead, for whatever that is worth.

Last edited:

Gabe1

It is beyond frustrating. I wonder how many times they charge for the same dent or scratch. If you have a clean receipt that should be the end of it, especially a month later.

And yes, I take the insurance to avoid it and I know how ridiculous it is. I just did it a few days before Christmas, I rented a bigger van to bring my DD dorm stuff home just before she graduated from her University. My rental was $125 and with insurance it was $157. I was driving through a snow storm down, I loaded a refrigerator a 6 foot shelving unit, packed to the gills plus the pull and tug on the carpet. It came back to them without a ding but the $24 was just worth the piece of mind that I didn't have to cope with one more thing that week.

Me, I'd send a registered letter with clean receipt attached and state the vehicle according to them was returned "without exception" and that any damages had to occur after they took receipt of the vehicle back from you according to their own receipt. Without Exception is an insurance term. If you have to sign for a Fed EX or UPS package and the box itself it damaged you must take exception, ie the box is crushed, torn, etc. They did not take exception when taking the vehicle back, so you should be free and clear.

luv

Original Poster
It is beyond frustrating. I wonder how many times they charge for the same dent or scratch. If you have a clean receipt that should be the end of it, especially a month later.

And yes, I take the insurance to avoid it and I know how ridiculous it is. I just did it a few days before Christmas, I rented a bigger van to bring my DD dorm stuff home just before she graduated from her University. My rental was $125 and with insurance it was $157. I was driving through a snow storm down, I loaded a refrigerator a 6 foot shelving unit, packed to the gills plus the pull and tug on the carpet. It came back to them without a ding but the $24 was just worth the piece of mind that I didn't have to cope with one more thing that week.

Me, I'd send a registered letter with clean receipt attached and state the vehicle according to them was returned "without exception" and that any damages had to occur after they took receipt of the vehicle back from you according to their own receipt. Without Exception is an insurance term. If you have to sign for a Fed EX or UPS package and the box itself it damaged you must take exception, ie the box is crushed, torn, etc. They did not take exception when taking the vehicle back, so you should be free and clear.
Sadly, I looked at the charges on the receipt and didn't look at the car listed on the receipt. The car on the receipt isn't the same as the car referenced in the letter...and I think I actually drove the car in the letter.

I don't know if this will work for me or against me, lol. Probably against, with my luck. :)

You were smart to buy the insurance. I do think it's BS that we must buy their bogus insurance or be slammed with fraudulent charges, though. That just doesn't sit well with me.

Gabe1

Sadly, I looked at the charges on the receipt and didn't look at the car listed on the receipt. The car on the receipt isn't the same as the car referenced in the letter...and I think I actually drove the car in the letter.

I don't know if this will work for me or against me, lol. Probably against, with my luck. :)

You were smart to buy the insurance. I do think it's BS that we must buy their bogus insurance or be slammed with fraudulent charges, though. That just doesn't sit well with me.

So you are saying they gave you the wrong receipt for the wrong car when you returned the car?

englanddg

One Little Spark...

I hate to say it (and I know you are probably gonna go get real legal counsel on the matter), but if you don't have proof that they accepted THAT vehicle without damage upon return, you are probably screwed.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So you are saying they gave you the wrong receipt for the wrong car when you returned the car?
That's a stretch...won't hold much water. Just my (non-legal) opinion.

Here's a question for @luv...do you have the original rental car agreement? That should have the VIN on it which you can compare to the close out paperwork to see?

luv

Original Poster
They emailed me the wrong receipt. I'm pretty sure. It has my name on it, but that isn't the car I drve and I didn't drive 300 miles. I think I drove the car listed on this letter.

This will probably work against me. But maybe it'll work for me, too. I don't know. Maybe the court will say, "What the hell is your problem, guys?" for giving me an incorrect receipt. I don't know. (Murphy's Law would suggest otherwise, obviously. :))

It's never easy, lol. But that's what lawyers get paid for! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom