ESPN Wide World of Sports Expansion

Next Big Thing

I think there's a fear of dorm style suites. Vista Way is CP housing and it has... Been around the block. For sure.
Just think about a time of year, like next month for example, when baseball teams, track teams, soccer teams and cheerleaders will be there in abundance. Put them all in one place and you're asking for legal issues, especially being a company as big as Disney.

Gatorboy

Just think about a time of year, like next month for example, when baseball teams, track teams, soccer teams and cheerleaders will be there in abundance. Put them all in one place and you're asking for legal issues, especially being a company as big as Disney.

They are all ready pretty much in one place now. Most events participants stay in the same resort as they have package deals. having one resort closer and geared toward teams seems logical. Look at the Olympics, Pan Am Games, World Championships, they all stay together and you don't have reports of trouble.

Rteetz

Parks blog posted an update on this. It will be completed within 18 months and will focus on cheer and dance competitions. That's puts it at around a January 2018 completion.

Variable

No, not strictly for "teen age" competitions, for all the different sports. What's the difference from this and all of them staying at an All Star resort, other than most people would know to avoid this resort. Sorry for my ignorance, I'm not familiar with Vista Way, could you explain please.

What all different sports are there? Aside from rundisney events it sure seems to be focused on youth sports.

Bolt

Wasnt the original goal for it to be done for Night of Joy this year?
According to @wdwmagic article on this site: "Construction of the 286,000 sq. ft. venue is set to begin in February 2016, with completion by mid 2017. The project will also include new parking lots and entrances to the complex"

AndrewsJ

Is this an all indoor venue? I can't tell if the concept art is just a facade like a baseball stadium or if it is enclosed with a roof.

dreamfinder

What all different sports are there? Aside from rundisney events it sure seems to be focused on youth sports.

They will hold events for any sport that wants to. Most of it is for youth/teenage sports as those are the ones that tend to have large competitions that require lots of fields at once. And if you think about it, how many adult aged competitive teams are there really? Most of the stuff around me tends to be pickup style with no real organized team structure outside of some of the beer league softball/wiffle ball stuff. And I don't think that crowd would choose WDW as their preferred travel destination for a tournament.

The Atlanta Braves have done their spring training there for years, even though I think they are leaving soon to be closer to other teams. I've seen several college aged skills competitions for football held there and then televised, think they were doing a martial arts type competition one year I was there, and then obviously the college dance/cheer competitions.

Is this an all indoor venue? I can't tell if the concept art is just a facade like a baseball stadium or if it is enclosed with a roof.

Should be enclosed. Can't do cheer/dance in the rain. Well, I'd guess you could but it's not really safe to do so when you start flying.

AndrewsJ

They will hold events for any sport that wants to. Most of it is for youth/teenage sports as those are the ones that tend to have large competitions that require lots of fields at once. And if you think about it, how many adult aged competitive teams are there really? Most of the stuff around me tends to be pickup style with no real organized team structure outside of some of the beer league softball/wiffle ball stuff. And I don't think that crowd would choose WDW as their preferred travel destination for a tournament.

The Atlanta Braves have done their spring training there for years, even though I think they are leaving soon to be closer to other teams. I've seen several college aged skills competitions for football held there and then televised, think they were doing a martial arts type competition one year I was there, and then obviously the college dance/cheer competitions.

Should be enclosed. Can't do cheer/dance in the rain. Well, I'd guess you could but it's not really safe to do so when you start flying.
That's what I was thinking. Covered would be safer and more dependable. Thanks for the reply!

Jon81uk

I always thought they were building this as the Indiana Jones arena at DHS would no longer be available for cheer groups once its demolished for Star Wars Land. But of course we now know that Star Wars Land is going where LMA was so I guess they don't need the cheer competition facility as urgently.

Texas84

Softball tournaments, track meets / cross country, basketball tournaments, soccer tournaments, etc. A swim center is coming. Most of it does seem to be youth but I see the serious softballers there very often.

Variable

Softball tournaments, track meets / cross country, basketball tournaments, soccer tournaments, etc. A swim center is coming. Most of it does seem to be youth but I see the serious softballers there very often.

Womens' softball right? They are quite serious. The men's teams around my town fear them. Might be a primal instinct thing.

DisDadWoz

Is there some definite knowledge that a swim center is coming?

rob0519

Ok, I must be missing something. I certainly don't relish the idea of even larger Cheer, Dance, etc. competitions, but what sort of legal issues could this venue produce?

Next Big Thing

I believe 2017 Spring Training is the last year the Braves are contracted for at WWoS and then they are leaving.

Variable

Ok, I must be missing something. I certainly don't relish the idea of even larger Cheer, Dance, etc. competitions, but what sort of legal issues could this venue produce?

Legal issues? Why would there be legal "issues"?

Heck, I'm wondering if I could get the KT tape concession $$$

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom