ESPN in trouble? - Sports network Loses 62% of audience in April

Darkprime

Original Poster

ESPN has long been a bit of a nuisance for Disney. Now during these uncertain times more so than ever. With no new sports being shown their struggling even more than usual. Seeing its biggest drop in ratings this month. Should we be worried about ESPN?

Slpy3270

I wouldn't. ESPN is still turning a profit despite all the questions surrounding cord-cutting and sports rights fees. The only way I could see the network being in actual trouble is if a) they lose both NFL and NBA rights and b) a major pay TV operator drops it over the rights fees.

One way or another live sports will be back and I doubt there will be a long-term consequence just because of one unforeseeable event.

The only real affect I can see from this crisis is the closure of ESPN Classic, ESPN3 and ESPNNEWS, the former two of which have been made redundant by ESPN+ and the third nobody really watches.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
With no new sports being shown their struggling even more than usual. Seeing its biggest drop in ratings this month.

This is why they lost that percentage of their audience. The network relies heavily on live sports throughout the year, and there hasn't been any in over 2 months. Once sports comes back the ratings will skyrocket because people will have something to watch again.

Slpy3270

ESPN is not a nuisance ever to Disney. It is a cash cow. Even with a 60% audience loss, it is still a cash cow. That’s how much money it makes.

Too bad investors and media analysts think otherwise. They want Disney to be like Netflix, even though Netflix isn't a conglomerate nor does it make anywhere near as much revenue as Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom