• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

"Escape Rooms" could be a thing soon..

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
So it's 2020, I guess I can say something about this now.

The concept of escape rooms and how popular they have become for small scale experiences has not been lost on Disney. There is a small group of people at maingate working on the idea. The problem is that the house of mouse does not like calling it an "Escape Room".

Do not expect these in the actual parks, but they could pop up at resorts with open space if testing deems them to be popular enough. Look for more info on testing sometime this spring. It won't be a hidden secret for long.

Props for what I have I seen are interesting. They are not themed to specific IP, but more to specific ideas.

Ravenclaw78

Might make Saratoga Springs actually worth staying at. :p (Yes, I know plenty of people love that resort, and more power to them. I didn't care for it, probably for the very same reasons that others prefer it.)

RSoxNo1

So it's 2020, I guess I can say something about this now.

The concept of escape rooms and how popular they have become for small scale experiences has not been lost on Disney. There is a small group of people at maingate working on the idea. The problem is that the house of mouse does not like calling it an "Escape Room".

Do not expect these in the actual parks, but they could pop up at resorts with open space if testing deems them to be popular enough. Look for more info on testing sometime this spring. It won't be a hidden secret for long.

Props for what I have I seen are interesting. They are not themed to specific IP, but more to specific ideas.
I could see this as a component to Star Wars galactic star cruiser, or at Disney Springs, or on the cruise line.

choco choco

I went to this one, done by two former Imagineers (edit: actually, I think one of them is still at Imagineering), not two months ago.

It was really fun and quite effective and the production value was one of the highest for this type of thing I'd ever seen. So yes, Disney has probably been aware of this for years (article is from two years ago!) but there's no way the small scale art of it can translate to any sort of high throughput. Escape Rooms have a hard time making money. Not enough people can go through for it to gross much in a single day.

LiterallyNobody

Original Poster
I went to this one, done by two former Imagineers (actually, I think one of them is still at Imagineering), not two months ago.

It was really fun and quite effective. So yes, Disney has probably been aware of this for years (article is from two years ago!) but there's no way the small scale art of it can translate to any sort of high throughput. Escape Rooms have a hard time making money. Not enough people can go through it for it to gross much in a single day.

Not looking for high throughput, but keep a couple hundred guests a day, even if for an hour or so, at the resort they are staying at? Could make a difference. Put it at a few resorts? Could make a big difference..

Reactions: Tux

DoubleJ21

Hmm. It's hard to fathom how this will be successful. It's unthinkable to me that Disney would build a quality experience on a scale to handle the crowds.

With options A, B, C, and D, I find D to be extremely unlikely.

A) They construct a quality experience with low capacity
B) They construct a garbage experience with high capacity
C) They construct a garbage experience with low capacity
D) They construct a quality experience with high capacity

TheVisionarySoul

Disney Quest would have been the perfect location. These things can be hazardous though..
As much as I loved it, DisneyQuest had major building issues and needed to be gutted or demolished. As far as escape rooms go, in the US, you can't actually be locked in a room for that long. That's why it's always about solving a puzzle at the end and typing in a code. The exits are never actually locked, and for that exact reason. Fire code here prohibits it.

Top Bottom