epic freeze in cfl. employees see the forced air heaters at AK?

teebin

Original Poster
It is a bad freeze here in central florida last night and tonight. Any early employees at AK see the kerosene forced air heaters in place? Forced air heaters are used to keep the truly tropical plants alive. 50% of the plants at AK should not be growing here due to such possible low temps as they will drop dead; at least foliage wise. You would have to be a really early employee to see this at 4 to 7 am. They probably started the heaters at 2-3am. They sound like jet engines.

Also, any plant damage seen?

It is 9 pm and it is already 28 degrees here just a few miles from wdw.

XS-Spence

It is a bad freeze here in central florida last night and tonight. Any early employees at AK see the kerosene forced air heaters in place? Forced air heaters are used to keep the truly tropical plants alive. 50% of the plants at AK should not be growing here due to such possible low temps as they will drop dead; at least foliage wise. You would have to be a really early employee to see this at 4 to 7 am. They probably started the heaters at 2-3am. They sound like jet engines.

Yup, the heaters were there this morning. No plant damage that I noticed. (I'm at Yak & Yeti) They weren't noisy though, not more than a normal shop fan.

teebin

Original Poster

devoy1701

there's no way it was 28 degrees at 9pm. You would have had 11 more hours of heatloss meaning it would have been like 12 this morning...

i'm just saying.

teebin

Original Poster
Yup, the heaters were there this morning. No plant damage that I noticed. (I'm at Yak & Yeti) They weren't noisy though, not more than a normal shop fan.

Thanks, it was 19 degrees for a few minutes this morning at 7am. Held at 20 degrees for most of the AM. I live in a rural area so the temps in a crowded sub-division might have been a bit higher.

teebin

Original Poster
there's no way it was 28 degrees at 9pm. You would have had 11 more hours of heatloss meaning it would have been like 12 this morning...

i'm just saying.

Run out into the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. I have multiple thermometers out under the open sky and take the temps very seriously. A thermometer located outside of a window will not reflect the true temps as a house puts off heat.

Also, they showed ice cubes on the local news this morning in a tray that they had placed outside on the buildings steps in Orlando.

So, yes, way.

devoy1701

Run out into the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. I have multiple thermometers out under the open sky and take the temps very seriously. A thermometer located outside of a window will not reflect the true temps as a house puts off heat.

Also, they showed ice cubes on the local news this morning in a tray that they had placed outside on the buildings steps in Orlando.

So, yes, way.

I'm just saying that no place in central florida was UNDER freezing by 9pm...the sun had been down for less than 3 hours.

water freezes at 32 btw...so there's nothing shocking about ice cubes freezing when places outside...that's what water does at 32 degrees. The low in orlando before the sun came up was 32 this morning...there is no way it was less than 32 then the temperature came back up a couple degrees before the sun came up. Sorry.

teebin

Original Poster
I'm just saying that no place in central florida was UNDER freezing by 9pm...the sun had been down for less than 3 hours.

water freezes at 32 btw...so there's nothing shocking about ice cubes freezing when places outside...that's what water does at 32 degrees. The low in orlando before the sun came up was 32 this morning...there is no way it was less than 32 then the temperature came back up a couple degrees before the sun came up. Sorry.

Did you know that your refrigerator runs at 33-34 degrees?

Did you know that your freezer runs at 0 degrees?

Did you know that it would take hours and hours to freeze water at 32 degrees, thus this is the reason that freezers run at 0 degrees F?

Do you live in the countryside on four acres of land where all your neighbors live on similar sized properties with no crowded homes one after the other and pavement putting off heat?

Have you been in touch with both Disney and Universal Horticulture departments and the local weather stations to discuss the temperature and its affects on plants in central Florida? I have. Disney isn't concerned with temps 30 and above for a few hours and will not bring out the heaters unless the forecast is for temperatures in the mid to low 20's for extended periods of time.

Note the CM that said the heaters were indeed out Wednesday AM and I am sure they were out this Thursday AM.

It was 28 degrees F at 9 pm on my property last night and 20 degrees F this morning at 7 am.

In the meantime, please study up on "radiational freezing" and the effects of "dewpoint" on low temperatures. It's a real eye opener. :wave:

GothMickey

i'm just saying.

Sorry, but, it can warm up during the night. I am in NJ, and there have been times during the winter when the day temp was below freezing and the night temp would rise above freezing. Even though the sun does heat the earth, sometimes a warm patch of air passes through during the night, thus raising the temperature. Temps drop during the day with the sun out. Just because there is no sun doesn't mean the temp cannot go up a few degrees.

jeffk410

hahaaaaaa

Did you know that your refrigerator runs at 33-34 degrees?

Did you know that your freezer runs at 0 degrees?

Did you know that it would take hours and hours to freeze water at 32 degrees, thus this is the reason that freezers run at 0 degrees F?

Do you live in the countryside on four acres of land where all your neighbors live on similar sized properties with no crowded homes one after the other and pavement putting off heat?

Have you been in touch with both Disney and Universal Horticulture departments and the local weather stations to discuss the temperature and its affects on plants in central Florida? I have. Disney isn't concerned with temps 30 and above for a few hours and will not bring out the heaters unless the forecast is for temperatures in the mid to low 20's for extended periods of time.

Note the CM that said the heaters were indeed out Wednesday AM and I am sure they were out this Thursday AM.

It was 28 degrees F at 9 pm on my property last night and 20 degrees F this morning at 7 am.

In the meantime, please study up on "radiational freezing" and the effects of "dewpoint" on low temperatures. It's a real eye opener. :wave:

wow shut down! haha yeah i side with this guy ^^, he seems to know what hes talkign bout.

scpergj

I can definitly tell people that we have had two nights in a row of what we call a "hard freeze" here in the Jacksonville area (150 mi from WDW by road, about 80 real miles north), and expect another tonight. This morning, the thermomiter on my house read 25 F, and my car temp was 19 F by the time I got to work (I work at an old navy base, and it is normally about 5 degrees colder than the rest of the area on a cold night). I know that it was still below freezing at 9:30 this morning...and that it was below freezing about 8:00 last night. It was COLD, and everything I have seen on the local news said that central Florida was just about as cold as us.

eroyee

I know thats really cold for you guys in Fla. but it was -13 here the other morning with wind chills of -23 and our water pipes froze!!! Now thats cold...........

teebin

Original Poster
Well, the reason I created this thread, was to hear any early morning CM's talk about the amount of heaters that were employed before sunrise. AK is pushing the limits with about 70% of their plants not suited for hard freeze temps. They go to GREAT lenghts to keep the place looking tropical. While Disney and Uni horticulture have told me that they use these heaters, I just wanted to hear about the scope of it. Think about AK! The savannah is safe, but the central part of the park is a hard freeze disaster waiting to happen.

So, AK CMs. please let me know what you see!

scpergj

Well, the reason I created this thread, was to hear any early morning CM's talk about the amount of heaters that were employed before sunrise. AK is pushing the limits with about 70% of their plants not suited for hard freeze temps. They go to GREAT lenghts to keep the place looking tropical. While Disney and Uni horticulture have told me that they use these heaters, I just wanted to hear about the scope of it. Think about AK! The savannah is safe, but the central part of the park is a hard freeze disaster waiting to happen.

Do you happen to have any idea how many of these are larger tree type plants and how many are ground cover type? I'd be interested to see how they treat these differently.

Also, I wonder if they turn on the sprinkler systems to keep some of the plants hovering around freezing?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom