EPCOT's Soarin ride

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
Could anyone tell me when Soarin' is set to open?

Is Epcot putting any kind of suffix after it? In other words is it just Soarin', or what? I know the DCA one is Soarin' over California, which obviously won't work in WDW Florida!

And what exactly is the theme of this ride? I know it's handgliding, but hanggliding/flying over what? Just general landscaping?

Thanks for reading and I hope you very nice and helpful people could help me out on this one.

:)

Chape19714

No Date Yet, sorry

It's Just gonna be Soarin' as far as i know. The film will be the same as it is in California.

You are Soarin' over the landmarks of California, both man-made and natural.

You will experence Wind, Smells, Flying movements and more.

SOMETHING TO LOOK FOWARD TO!!!

Imagine20

I don't know the date its set to open- next spring I think someone had posted? As for the theming, the one in california has an obvious 'flight' theme inside before entering the ride. Even though the inside one is very well decorated and very nice, I don't remember the 'theming' as anything truely specific besides the general retro-flight idea. As for what you fly over- I'm guessing you've never riden the one in CA. The movie is exactly the same. You fly over forests, mountains, lakes very beautiful landscapes...its actually breathtaking and a great ride- I can't wait for it to open!!

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
Chape19714 said:
No Date Yet, sorry

It's Just gonna be Soarin' as far as i know. The film will be the same as it is in California.

You are Soarin' over the landmarks of California, both man-made and natural.

You will experence Wind, Smells, Flying movements and more.

SOMETHING TO LOOK FOWARD TO!!!
I don't know...won't that be odd in Florida?

And to answer someone else's post, No I havent been to DCA (or Disneyland California for that matter).

Captain Hank

Mickeyrulz said:
I don't know...won't that be odd in Florida?

And to answer someone else's post, No I havent been to DCA (or Disneyland California for that matter).
The answer is yes: it will be just a little odd in Florida. When this was first announced, there were a lot of people unhappy, myself included, that Disney didn't spring for a new movie. It does make a certain small amount of sense bringing the movie along with the ride, since it is billed as part of the Disneyland 50th celebration. The hopes are that soon after the 50th is over a new, more FL appropriate movie will come along, probably for a major Epcot anniversary coming up (I honestly forget which one).

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
Did Disney do anything for Epcot's 20th anniversary in 2002?

I guess that next one would be in 2007, the 25th Anniversary?

Anyway it stinks that Disney won't get a more appropriate Soarin movie. Maybe Food Rocks should've not been removed. Soarin', in my opinion, was a bad choice for the Land [pavilion]. The showbuilding is rather ugly looking around the park. I also hate this "Land renovation" that is coming up.

imagineer99

Mickeyrulz said:
Did Disney do anything for Epcot's 20th anniversary in 2002?

I guess that next one would be in 2007, the 25th Anniversary?

Anyway it stinks that Disney won't get a more appropriate Soarin movie. Maybe Food Rocks should've not been removed. Soarin', in my opinion, was a bad choice for the Land [pavilion]. The showbuilding is rather ugly looking around the park. I also hate this "Land renovation" that is coming up.

Isn't it premature to say that you "hate" the renovation? It hasn't even happened yet. Food Rocks garnered no attendance. Soarin' will draw big crowds. Keeping something that just showed to half filled audiences isn't smart business practices.

As for theming...I can really understand, where they are going. As long as they explain that you are soarin over different environments and "biomes," then the land theme is maintained.

I too can understand the disappointment of using the same film. However, I'd much rather keep the beautiful california video than something involving Soarin' over Florida. Florida is a nice state, but it truly lacks a sense of geographical diversity. What would we fly over? Swamps? Flat grass lands? Some beaches?

Plus, according to the rumor mill, by 2007 we'll have a new video anyways.:)

Dr Albert Falls

Why the heck WON'T "California" work at Epcot in Florida??

"Canada" works in Florida.

"France" works in Florida.

"Norway" works in Florida.

"China" works in Florida.

"Ellen's Energy Adventure" was shot in California -- not a real primeval forest.

"Mission Space" was shot in California-- not really on Mars or a Cape Canaveral-based Mission Control.

"The Seas" film was shot in California--- not off the coast of Daytona.

"Honey I Shrunk the Audience" was shot in California -- not an Orlando Imagination Institute.

"Test Track" boarding video was shot in California -- not a real GM testing facility.

WHO THE HECK CARES that "Soarin'" was also shot in California??

Can you really tell the difference between the Pacific and the Atlantic?
Can you really tell the difference between the Rockies and the Smokies?
Can you really tell the difference between a Palm Springs golf course and and Orlando-area golf course?
Can you really tell the difference between a California orange grove and a Florida orange grove?
Can you really tell the difference between a California cornfield and an Iowa cornfield?
Can you really tell the difference between the Downtown L.A. skyline and any other major city (minus New York, Chicago, and Seattle)?

So basically--- the only thing that distinguishes "Soarin'" as CALIFORNIA is the Golden Gate Bridge and Disneyland --- both of which you'd probably WANT in a hanggliding tour of the U.S.

So--- what are you REALLY asking for? Should Disney plunk down a few more bucks and add shots of the New York skyline, the New England coast, and maybe a Texas oil field?

Or--- wouldn't it just make sense for Disney to put the SAME friggin' film at Epcot---a film that's gotten RAVE reviews at California Adventure?

If it ain't broke-- don't fix it. "Body Wars" and "Dinosaur" are perfect examples of Disney transforming a successful California attraction ("Star Tours" and "Indiana Jones Adventure") into something NEW for Florida that just doesn't work as well as the original.

Mickeyrulz

Original Poster
Dr Albert Falls--
While many things were SHOT in California, why do you think I compain about Soarin'? Because it's a direct clone, no changes, "flying over California landmarks".

You really need to analyse what I said.

Captain Hank

Wow, that was a little...harsh. All of the country films make sense as they are in the context of their WS pavillion. None of the other attraction films were meant to be known that they were shot in California. They were all made to make sense within the story environment of their respective attraction. Sorin' over California does not make immediate story sense within the context of the Land pavillion (at least in its present form). I would have vastly preferred a movie that only preported to be a tour of various environments around the world, not specifically California. I'm sorry, I realize that when I said more FL appropriate, I didn't make it clear that I meant more appropriate to the Land. And yes, I have heard great things about the film in DCA, but I would greatly prefer that DCA and Epcot each have unique attractions to draw people to each park.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Dr Albert Falls said:
Why the heck WON'T "California" work at Epcot in Florida??

"Canada" works in Florida.

"France" works in Florida.

"Norway" works in Florida.

"China" works in Florida.

"Ellen's Energy Adventure" was shot in California -- not a real primeval forest.

"Mission Space" was shot in California-- not really on Mars or a Cape Canaveral-based Mission Control.

"The Seas" film was shot in California--- not off the coast of Daytona.

"Honey I Shrunk the Audience" was shot in California -- not an Orlando Imagination Institute.

"Test Track" boarding video was shot in California -- not a real GM testing facility.

WHO THE HECK CARES that "Soarin'" was also shot in California??

Can you really tell the difference between the Pacific and the Atlantic?
Can you really tell the difference between the Rockies and the Smokies?
Can you really tell the difference between a Palm Springs golf course and and Orlando-area golf course?
Can you really tell the difference between a California orange grove and a Florida orange grove?
Can you really tell the difference between a California cornfield and an Iowa cornfield?
Can you really tell the difference between the Downtown L.A. skyline and any other major city (minus New York, Chicago, and Seattle)?

So basically--- the only thing that distinguishes "Soarin'" as CALIFORNIA is the Golden Gate Bridge and Disneyland --- both of which you'd probably WANT in a hanggliding tour of the U.S.

So--- what are you REALLY asking for? Should Disney plunk down a few more bucks and add shots of the New York skyline, the New England coast, and maybe a Texas oil field?

Or--- wouldn't it just make sense for Disney to put the SAME friggin' film at Epcot---a film that's gotten RAVE reviews at California Adventure?

If it ain't broke-- don't fix it. "Body Wars" and "Dinosaur" are perfect examples of Disney transforming a successful California attraction ("Star Tours" and "Indiana Jones Adventure") into something NEW for Florida that just doesn't work as well as the original.

Wow...........

imagineer99

Mickeyrulz said:
Dr Albert Falls--
While many things were SHOT in California, why do you think I compain about Soarin'? Because it's a direct clone, no changes, "flying over California landmarks".

You really need to analyse what I said.

Since you have never seen the video, how would you know?

A lot of rides are direct clones. I do prefer orginality, as well. However, Dr. Falls was simply pointing out that with the exception of the Golden Gate Bridge and the Disneyland shot, it is hard to tell that what you are seeing is from the same state.

999Ghosts

You will love this ride so much it will not matter if it is over California. This is one of those rides when you are on it your jaw will be in your lap! I can't wait for it to open @ WDW! This ride alone keeps me going back to DCA.

Dr Albert Falls

Imagineer99 seemed to have gotten my point. I don't see what's so difficult to understand.

Imagine, if you will, that the ORIGINAL attraction was put inside Disneyland instead of California Adventure.

And imagine the name was actually "Soarin"... or even "American Journeys" or "Flying Over The Land"-- with no reference to California whatsoever.

It would still be a BLOCKBUSTER attraction. And one that would gladly be welcomed into Epcot.

So why does the fact that it was originally named "Soarin Over California" matter?????

CaptainMichael

I am excited about this ride. I have never been to California or Disneyland, so this will be a great experience for me. Not to mention how cool the ride itself will be. The great thing about attractions with films is that they can be changed! Just give Disney some time, and they will have a brand new film special to Walt Disney World, I'm sure of it. Don't complain about a ride until you've ridden it!

doop

I can't wait for this ride, because most people don't ever get the chance to hang glide, so hopefully this will be realistic enough to fulfill that. It just sounds really cool.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
STR8FAN2005 said:
I am excited about this ride. I have never been to California or Disneyland, so this will be a great experience for me. Not to mention how cool the ride itself will be. The great thing about attractions with films is that they can be changed! Just give Disney some time, and they will have a brand new film special to Walt Disney World, I'm sure of it. Don't complain about a ride until you've ridden it!

In my honest opinion, DisneyLand is no where near the quality park that MK WDW is. I went three weeks ago for one day and was able to ride most every ride (that was open) at both DL and DCA. The parks are extremely small, the overall food quality was poor (shipped in baked goods and allot of frozen entree's), the family atmosphere was not there (especially at Downtown Disney) since the park is not as remote as WDW. I honestly though I was going to see gang fights at DD on the Friday Night we were there. Prices are higher at DL as well, and the castle, well, it could fit inside Cindi's with room to spare......

Good things about DL: Mr. Toad is allive and well. Alice in Wonderland, a much nicer Its a Small World ( cant wait for the MK WDW version rehab), Snow White musical ( which we did not get to see but were told is awsome), much longer POTC ride with two drops. Got to ride Soarin and it is awsome and will go over great at EPCOT. I just dont like the view of the building when you are supposed to be looking at a mountain range in Canada and you see the building sticking up in the back......

Sorry this was soooooo long..... :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom