Epcot's Russia Pavilion presentation

wdwfan4ver

I did read about this on the neverland files website. I am not surprised Disney did this presentation in 1992 since I remembered Walt Disney World past, present and future show on Disney Channel back in 1991 mentioning Russia Pavilion.

sedati

Cow Missing's Youtube channel has been facsinating me for the past few days..This one was a bit of a surprise from 1992's presentation of the Russia Pavilion with a more in depth look at what was planned for World Showcase.

Thanks for finding this! Find of the year! Always wondered about this pavilion.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I did read about this on the neverland files website. I am not surprised Disney did this presentation in 1992 since I remembered Walt Disney World past, present and future show on Disney Channel back in 1991 mentioning Russia Pavilion.
I’m not surprised that it Happens conveniently just after the Soviet bloc fell...

Funny how time changes - the Bobs can’t pull the sheets up on themselves and get cozy enough with china, eh?💰

jpeden

In the Parks
No
You know this pavilion didn’t get built, right? Nor did many wonderful World Showcase concepts. Damn Bobs and their time machines.

This didn’t get built most likely because of Eisner’s overspending with DLP and the mini recession that hit. Iger wouldn’t allow this to be built because it might lower the profit margin.

aladdin2007

With all the concept art and minatures you have to wonder if this is all hidden in the archives somewhere...It would be impressive to see it displayed at the D23 Expo..

and this one def looks like a piece of art for sure, would be great if they still had it but do they keep them all? Probably not sadly, martin may know on this one specifically. I would love to see an exhibit with an entire world showcase model.

muddyrivers

This presentation was pretty cool and probably would have been one of, if not the best country in WS had it all been built.

Was the reason it didn't come to fruition due to the collapse of the Soviet Union or were there other issues that prevented this pavilion from being green-lit?

jpeden

In the Parks
No
This presentation was pretty cool and probably would have been one of, if not the best country in WS had it all been built.

Was the reason it didn't come to fruition due to the collapse of the Soviet Union or were there other issues that prevented this pavilion from being green-lit?

I would imagine the financial fallout from the building of Disneyland Paris and the mini recession that happened in the early 90’s. It’s what killed almost all of Eisner’s “Disney Decade” projects for the park. There’s a long list of things that were planned under Eisner and never built.

wdwfan4ver

According to the Neverland files, It was caused by 3 things. The collapse of the Soviet Union and the 2nd being Russia faced Severe economic in 1998. I don't how accurate Russia Pavilion not happening due to severe economic trouble in 1998 because I did not remember reading anything about Disney still planning this pavilion around the 1998 time frame.

The 3rd thing is Disney was not willing to pay for the Construction and the first 10 years of operation coasts at the time. Disney wanted the Russian Government or a Russian business to pay for it.

Here is where I got the information:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom