News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

SteveAZee

Drones move so slowly. If people thought the middle 5-minutes of RoE could put an insomniac to sleep, IllumiNations: Drones Making Earth would be even worse.
How fast is fast enough? These are the speeds of the drone I fly for fun:
Drone speeds.JPG

pdude81

I’ve never seen them move quickly while in an organized display of hundreds of drones. I’m sure there’s a reason.
I think if drones are part of the show, they'd move into formation just ahead of it starting. Darkness helps on this one. How quickly they can get them out of there before the fireworks begin is anybody's guess though. We need Johnny 5 alive, among others.

Now if they would do just drones with no pyro then it better be one amazing show.

Last edited:
I’ve never seen them move quickly while in an organized display of hundreds of drones. I’m sure there’s a reason.
You really should check out the drone show done for the queen's platinum jubilee as well as for the new years eve fireworks 2023 in london. Both can be viewed on YouTube.

Yes drones can move quick, enough, can be animated and rotate. Disney could probably even do a more intricate display then what these shows did.

I think they would make a nice compliment to a epcot show.

Epcot82Guy

One thought I have - Epcot's show is also viewed in somewhat of an upward direction. Many drone shows are viewed more "from the side". You could do what are effectively more 2-D objects in the center or focused zones - almost like looking up at a screen. I'm clearly not a show designer, but I wonder if that could play a role in the design.

Vinnie Mac

(To anyone who thinks the drones will fall on guest) Have any of ya'll considered that they could (and probably will) just fly the drones BEHIND the pavilions?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
(To anyone who thinks the drones will fall on guest) Have any of ya'll considered that they could (and probably will) just fly the drones BEHIND the pavilions?
That would put them to the back of some guests. Which means they'd need four times as many drones to repeat the images 360.

Drones over Showcase Lagoon would either have to do the above (multiple repeats all the way around the pavilions), or, pretend there is a giant cylinder over the lagoon and make its images along the top surface of that virtual cylinder 'face down', or, do images/graphics with radial symmetry, or, constantly rotate the image. Or a combination of all that.

SteveAZee

That would put them to the back of some guests. Which means they'd need four times as many drones to repeat the images 360.

Drones over Showcase Lagoon would either have to do the above (multiple repeats all the way around the pavilions), or, pretend there is a giant cylinder over the lagoon and make its images along the top surface of that virtual cylinder 'face down', or, do images/graphics with radial symmetry, or, constantly rotate the image. Or a combination of all that.
I think if someone were to design a 'drone show', it might be good to build it less like fireworks and less like a 2-D screen show and more to take advantage of what drones are good at... something drone-y. I don't know what exactly that means, but I'm not an Imagineer. Given that they can move quickly in many direction, given that they can have changing colored lights... it'd be a 3-D display that can change it's shape and size.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wasn't Harmonious supposed to be Illuminations: Windows on the World or something like that but they decided not to cause of the restaurant in the trade centers?
No. Previous idea.
I thought skydance was the original successor.
Sky dance is at least 10 years ago, maybe more.
Pretty sure the drones fly from either the Small World Roof or behind Alice’s labyrinth looking at overhead imagery, which again has no structures or water (iasw roof May as well be a parking lot) and looking at DSP, the drones are either going to be launched from LMA or the field just behind it.
I was beaten to it; Pinocchios roof is the launch Pad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom