News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

Vinnie Mac

Something about this whole new thing just seems weird. "If" this new show "really" has a 2023 debut,...how in the Hell are they going to do this new show that fast?
To be fair, Disney also did the same thing with Harmonious. They claimed a Spring 2020 opening when all 5 of those barges were nowhere near completion and we all know how long they took to make.

Cliff

To be fair, Disney also did the same thing with Harmonious. They claimed a Spring 2020 opening when all 5 of those barges were nowhere near completion and we all know how long they took to make.
Yep,...Disney often seem over commit. They themselves don't understand how slow they operate. What happens sometimes is that things go so over budget and so behind schedule that they have been known to cut show elements out to speed up the process and make their work...less...over-budget.

Again, Universal doesn't to "seem" to have this problem at all. They, at least appear work at a lightning speed. I would also say that both Harry Potter lands are 100% matching in quality and detail to ANYthing that Disney has ever done. Universal "can" match Disney when they want to and they can build it faster too.

I dunno,...does anybody here believe this Disney new show "2023" timeline? History tells be a big fat "Hell no"

Again,...I soooo want to be 100% wrong on this.

Vinnie Mac

I dunno,...does anybody here believe this Disney new show "2023" timeline? History tells be a big fat "Hell no"
Me personally my timeline is this:

Harmonious ends on March 31st

Epcot Forever re-debuts April 1st

Barges either get removed all at once or move out gradually over 2-3 months

??? debuts October 1st

Figments Friend

Sometimes less is more.

Disney could put together a decent show with the exsisting lights, lasers, pyro, and a awesome score.
It's all in the execution of the elements within the 'story' being told that makes a show great, not the flashiest tech or most expensive hardware.
Oh, and a personal connection or this thing called 'emotion'.
Very important as all the best shows invoke 'feeling something' when experiencing it.

Move those 'tacos' outta there, and the 'ring of pain'...and do up a fine solution in a creative way with what they already have.
Then top it off with something nobody is expecting...and knock it outta the field.

Wait, maybe that is what is coming...

-

homerdance

On March 31, they will retrofit the perimeter launchers used for Someday to target the barges, and retrofit the fireworks with enough explosives to destroy them. There will be a special showing of Harmonious at 11 PM where they will carry this out, and it will be an upcharge event for the low low price of $399/person. I suspect they will sell out.
I might buy that.

edit to add: And they could have a Duke Caboom character jumping over the lake as they are being blown to pieces.

Last edited:

Cliff

Sometimes less is more.

Disney could put together a decent show with the exsisting lights, lasers, pyro, and a awesome score.
It's all in the execution of the elements within the 'story' being told that makes a show great, not the flashiest tech or most expensive hardware.
Very important as all the best shows invoke 'feeling something' when experiencing it.

Move those 'tacos' outta there, and the 'ring of pain'...and do up a fine solution in a creative way with what they already have.
Then top it off with something nobody is expecting...and knock it outta the field.

-
Yes,...I generally agree with everything you said and that is pretty much what "Epcot Forever" is.

But,...ehh...I think you "need" some story telling visuals today on that lake. They can be LED screens or water screen projections of some kind. I can't think of any other display method. Drones are cool and they create cool "shapes" but they dont resolve well for anything more then that.

It's REALLY hard to tell a good story with just fireworks and music. I mean,...yeah I guess it can be done but without imagery?,...yeah it's hard.

Jwhee

Yes,...I generally agree with everything you said and that is pretty much what "Epcot Forever" is.

But,...ehh...I think you "need" some story telling visuals today on that lake. They can be LED screens or water screen projections of some kind. I can't think of any other display method. Drones are cool and they create cool "shapes" but they dont resolve well for anything more then that.

It's REALLY hard to tell a good story with just fireworks and music. I mean,...yeah I guess it can be done but without imagery?,...yeah it's hard.

Did you ever see Wishes…? Or Remember Dreams Come True..? Or Illuminations..?

The visuals are cool and all, but nowadays often over used. They show be something that adds on to the show, not the main story telling element of it like it is in Harmonious.

Cliff

Did you ever see Wishes…? Or Remember Dreams Come True..? Or Illuminations..?

The visuals are cool and all, but nowadays often over used. They show be something that adds on to the show, not the main story telling element of it like it is in Harmonious.
Wishes? sure...loved it. IllumiNations?...yup,...loved that too. But when Reflections of Earth Replaced it?....wow,...that made me forget everything before it. That really knocked my sox off and I loved the Earth barge imagery. When that opened up and the torch lit up inside of it and raised high up right at that the music climax point ? Woaaaaah! It was a killer thing to see and hear and feel.

Raidermatt

Great creativity is always hard. That's why the people doing it need to be very talented. Harmonious and Enchantment have imagery out the wazoo and they are both a jumbled mess. Harmonious more so, but even in Enchantment I can't figure out where I should be looking much of the time.

They don't NEED that imagery, but if used correctly it can be wonderful, as you stated with RoE.

So I guess if they do this right, sure, they can use imagery to great effect. But if its going to be same story quality as the recent shows, they would be better off keeping it simple. Adding more visual aspects when the story isn't working just makes things worse. You end up with a chaotic dumpster fire.

ToTBellHop

Isn’t Pinar Toprak working on that Epcot suite? Would be nice to use that.
Supposed to be more than one song and should be done in time for the big 4-1 next year. Glad they will be making a big deal of the 41st. It’s a big anniversary. My sister turns 41 this year and it’s such a big birthday that I couldn’t even find a Happy 41st card! Demand is too high!

I did the old 401.

Wonder what the cupcake flavor profile will be next year.

castlecake2.0

Supposed to be more than one song and should be done in time for the big 4-1 next year. Glad they will be making a big deal of the 41st. It’s a big anniversary. My sister turns 41 this year and it’s such a big birthday that I couldn’t even find a Happy 41st card! Demand is too high!

I did the old 401.

Wonder what the cupcake flavor profile will be next year.
This new “anthem” will be for all of former future world? Or just the entry plaza? Any more new music for world showcase? They updated Mexico, China, and France a few years ago but nothing for any of the other countries.

gerarar

Premium Member
Harmonius was cancelled last night due to "technical difficulties".

It's a rare announcement (most cancellation announcements played are due to "inclement weather"). Although it was raining the whole night, so interesting they chose this type of cancellation announcement.

Here's a stream from last night with timestamp of the exact announcement:

Last edited:

monorail81

They could put something together quicker than it took them to do Harmonious if they took all the best elements from the previous Illuminations shows (even 25a) and put them together in a new show called Illuminations: 40th Tribute or something silly like that. Basically instant show.

GimpYancIent

Sometimes less is more.

-
If tall construction walls suddenly go up around the lagoon, start worrying.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
The selection of music is what usually makes or breaks the show for me. I think the musical score was the main reason Reflections of Earth had such a long and popular run. Ditto for Fantasmic, Wishes, and Happily Ever After.

Unfortunately, this will be the element of the new show, whatever form it ends up taking, that we'll know the least about until probably shortly before its debut, whenever that happens to be.

jrhwdw

I know EF is only a Temporary Show but why didn't Epcot add Fountains to it????? Any permanent Show should have Fountains IMO! Epcot has had them for just about 40 Years! Except EF of course.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom