News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

TTA94

Given that they have Manheim Streamroller perform, I'm really surprised USF hasn't done a Lagoon Show with their holiday music and holiday/winter projections. That could be amazing.

And, all the more reason to see a new Lights of Winter come back to Epcot to anchor something similar.

I agree! I’ve been waiting for USF to do a fountain Christmas show. They do it for Halloween.

I was hopeful for a Harmonious Christmas version this year since Epcot could benefit from a full holiday show, but I doubt that will happen now. Maybe the new show will bring a Holiday version And also the return of Lights of Winter!

Vegas Disney Fan

They could remove the star gate and use just the tacos since the latter don't really have the same directional issues.

This is what I thought they’d likely do but with admin stating maintenance issues I now think all the barges are probably going away.

My guess is that’s the true reason for the quick change… the upkeep on the barges was so expensive they decided it’s cheaper to scrap them and write it off as a loss. Probably a lot that can be recycled at least, all the show lights, the LED panels, the fountain pumps, etc. Not a total loss.

Personally I’d love to see the taco barges reused, they’re cool tech, maybe without the star gate there’ll be enough parking space backstage and they can be salvaged without the daytime issues.

mikejs78

Premium Member
While it helps, they still need more then food for people to enjoy. Epcot is a disaster right now. They have Guardians, Soarin, Test Track and Remy. There isn't enough quality attractions to keep people busy all day. I get there needs to be a balance. IMO the first thing that needs balancing is having enough things to do to justify a full day at parks not named MK.

3 out of the 4 parks are basically half day parks. Maybe you would know but other then financial reasons why don't they seem interested in adding more to make these parks full day parks.

If you have kids, it's hard to make it a full day. Most aren't interested in exploring the world showcase or eating around the world. My whole point is other then MK, all these parks need more attractions not night time show replacements.

I have two kids, 12 and 5. We had absolutely zero difficulty spending a full day at Epcot this past June. In fact, we ended up back at Epcot several times that trip because our boys loved it. My 5 year old wanted to do SSE again multiple times (parenting win!).

I wouldn't like that as the show. But, that could make for a really fun story for the pre-show music. You could easily do little "parties" in various areas to add that energy on a nightly basis.

Please no. I love the preshow atmosphere that RoE had and was mostly retained with Harmonious.

Vinnie Mac

The new soundtrack for the show is going to be a tricky one for sure. Illuminations who mainly the average guests found it to be a sleeper. EF which got picked apart by fans and the newer guests who did not have a clue of Epcot’s history nor it’s songs, then Harmonious being a IP fest which fans utterly hate.
How do they please the large fan base who wants non IP RoE type show but please the average guests who may find a non IP show to be a snooze fest.
I think it's nearly impossible to please everybody with an EPCOT show cause everyone likes different things. Best strategy would be to have a show with a story like Illuminations and visuals like Harmonious. Keep the casuals busy with the stunning visuals please the fans with the storytelling

Vinnie Mac

They could remove the star gate and use just the tacos since the latter don't really have the same directional issues.

But with @wdwmagic recent post about the complaints of the lagoon appearance during the day (and the proposed solution of the fountains not working) being a factor in this change, I do wonder if they will just remove all of the pieces. I'd be surprised that they would bail on them so quickly given the cost and not re-use them, but it's worth watching to see.
Globe/ Sphere + barges could work well.

Vinnie Mac

I agree! I’ve been waiting for USF to do a fountain Christmas show. They do it for Halloween.

I was hopeful for a Harmonious Christmas version this year since Epcot could benefit from a full holiday show, but I doubt that will happen now. Maybe the new show will bring a Holiday version And also the return of Lights of Winter!
Considering the fact that the barges probably won't go away they can still do a Christmas show. Harmonious is going away, not necessarily the hardware that came with it I don't think.

Vinnie Mac

I'm still shocked it's going away this soon but ‪the more I think about it the more I realize this is probably how it was always meant to go. You know how Illuminations kept being updated over time? Harmonious is going to be the same way but more drastic I'd assume.‬

correcaminos

I'm still shocked it's going away this soon but ‪the more I think about it the more I realize this is probably how it was always meant to go. You know how Illuminations kept being updated over time? Harmonious is going to be the same way but more drastic I'd assume.‬
It was not well received by many, which is why this shouldn't be surprising. Also apples and oranges with Harmonious and Illuminations. Illuminations had minor holiday updates. Harmonious is flat out being replaced.

Vinnie Mac

It was not well received by many, which is why this shouldn't be surprising. Also apples and oranges with Harmonious and Illuminations. Illuminations had minor holiday updates. Harmonious is flat out being replaced.
I say this because I saw someone post that they met someone who worked on the show at the Epcot experience place and they told them that the show is only meant to be around for a couple of years.

Also peep how I said more drastic. I know it's being replaced

correcaminos

I say this because I saw someone post that they met someone who worked on the show at the Epcot experience place and they told them that the show is only meant to be around for a couple of years.

Also peep how I said more drastic. I know it's being replaced
Other reliable sources have stated otherwise. At least in the beginning it wasn't meant to be short lived like Epcot Forever.

And sorry, but you said updated like Illuminations was which is why I said what I did in response to replacing vs updating. My apologies if I misread/misunderstood.

culturenthrills

I am starting to wonder after seeing the teaser videos for Tokyo DisneySea's new show “Believe! Sea of Dreams” will this new show use moving LED Barges that can be kept in the dock until the afternoon. The drawbridge is one of the biggest issues that World Showcase Lagoon has as far as bringing show elements out. The Imagineers solved that problem with Mediterranean Harbor at TDS with the lagoon backstage access being high and wide enough to bring out massive barges for the lagoon shows.

jrhwdw

I am starting to wonder after seeing the teaser videos for Tokyo DisneySea's new show “Believe! Sea of Dreams” will this new show use moving LED Barges that can be kept in the dock until the afternoon. The drawbridge is one of the biggest issues that World Showcase Lagoon has as far as bringing show elements out. The Imagineers solved that problem with Mediterranean Harbor at TDS with the lagoon backstage access being high and wide enough to bring out massive barges for the lagoon shows.
I don't think TDS' LED barges hold Pyro, just Fountains.

TTA94

That would be awesome to have the Believe barges. That’s what should have happened for Epcot in the first place.

wtyy21

The biggest issue for Harm that caused the show to be replaced just after one year is they didn't have original songs that unifies all of segments of the show. I like Someday in finale but doesn't it mean that Harmonious lacking its original theme song? Momentous have original song (Love the Memory), DL Forever also had original song (Live The Magic).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom