News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

mattpeto

I happen to love Luminous. Could it use some improvements, well sure?

How was the first version of Illuminations? Are we comparing Luminous to that first show?

trainplane3

I love the show but it's obvious they still held back on it in parts. It is funny when you see the tower raise up at the end. It's like you can tell they wanted to do even more then "just" have it launch pyro outward. That piece really echoes the RoE earth torch so well too. Isn't the tower box mostly hollow? (going off the pictures from BlogMickey a few months ago)

And while I love the show, it's for the spectacle of it. Everything looks great but the song selection isn't great at all. The opening and finale really carry it.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
How many years were those thousands of surveys collected for RoE? I certainly think Luminous is better than RoE limping into retirement.

I think they need to pull the “loss” sequence. Gen Y and Gen Z don’t appreciate it. I don’t want RoE back. It was excellent…in 1999.
Yeah, I think while this is a good starting point for how the show is doing we still have to wait to truly see what people think. I agree the loss segment isn't great, I don't really like the mixing of those two songs. The middle in general needs work, "You'll be in my heart" is nice but I can do without it, it feels like Harmonious and the song is already in HEA. Don't touch
"Proud Corazón" that part is basically perfect IMO. The friends segment can be completely redone, do we really need to hear "Friend Like Me" again? Also both of those songs are already used in HEA in the same kind of segment. The love segment is nice and I like it, personally I would keep it. "Into the Unknown" doesn't need to be there, it feels the most forced IMO. "I see the Light" is a good version of that song but it's already used in HEA and the effects could probably be put to another song. The opening and final are great and I wouldn't change them.

trainplane3

Yeah, I think while this is a good starting point for how the show is doing we still have to wait to truly see what people think. I agree the loss segment isn't great, I don't really like the mixing of those two songs. The middle in general needs work, "You'll be in my heart" is nice but I can do without it, it feels like Harmonious and the song is already in HEA. Don't touch
"Proud Corazón" that part is basically perfect IMO. The friends segment can be completely redone, do we really need to hear "Friend Like Me" again? Also both of those songs are already used in HEA in the same kind of segment. The love segment is nice and I like it, personally I would keep it. "Into the Unknown" doesn't need to be there, it feels the most forced IMO. "I see the Light" is a good version of that song but it's already used in HEA and the effects could probably be put to another song. The opening and final are great and I wouldn't change them.
I'll be honest...I kind of like Into the Unknown in the show. The way it's used is pretty great. And I don't like Frozen stuff in general so I was surprised to enjoy that segment. In context it works and the interaction with the pavilions is very neat.

But, I'd gladly dump it to get a original score in there.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
I'll be honest...I kind of like Into the Unknown in the show. The way it's used is pretty great. And I don't like Frozen stuff in general so I was surprised to enjoy that segment. In context it works and the interaction with the pavilions is very neat.

But, I'd gladly dump it to get a original score in there.
I can understand that. To me it feels like some executive said "This show has to have Frozen because x" and they tried to make it fit best they could.

OSUPhantom

I think they need to pull the “loss” sequence. Gen Y and Gen Z don’t appreciate it. I don’t want RoE back. It was excellent…in 1999.

I disagree; telling the story of human experience requires not shying away from struggle. I find it one of the more compelling and beautiful parts of the show and it would be a shame to lose it

ToTBellHop

I disagree; telling the story of human experience requires not shying away from struggle. I find it one of the more compelling and beautiful parts of the show and it would be a shame to lose it
What are you disagreeing with? I didn’t give my opinion. Young adults and millennials don’t like the segment and they’ve shared as much with the company. It may be compelling but many don’t want to hear it on vacation. You go to WDW to forget grandma has cancer for a week…

OSUPhantom

What are you disagreeing with? I didn’t give my opinion. Young adults and millennials don’t like the segment and they’ve shared as much with the company. It may be compelling but many don’t want to hear it on vacation. You go to WDW to forget grandma has cancer for a week…

Your post literally said “I think they need to pull the “loss” sequence.”

Is that not your opinion of what they should do?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The only struggle I want to have when visiting Disney World is either at the buffet or reading my post trip credit card statement.

Death and Loss is not magical and while it may be compelling story to some it is certainly out of place for others.

ToTBellHop

Your post literally said “I think they need to pull the “loss” sequence.”

Is that not your opinion of what they should do?
Sorry—you described your views of the segment. I shared the public’s views. I guess you could disagree with my assessment that they should remove an unpopular segment because you like it.

ToTBellHop

The only struggle I want to have when visiting Disney World is either at the buffet or reading my post trip credit card statement.

Death and Loss is not magical and while it may be compelling story to some it is certainly out of place for others.
It also destroys the show’s energy and they have to follow it with two popular Disney songs to recapture the crowd before the finale.

OSUPhantom

Sorry—you described your views of the segment. I shared the public’s views. I guess you could disagree with my assessment that they should remove an unpopular segment because you like it.
Yes I apologize for sharing my opinion on a message forum. I’ll remember not to do that in the future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom