Rumor Epcot to gain signature steakhouse and seafood venue in Japan Pavillion?

ABQ

Oddly, I really love that place...Its quiet, good (not great) food and great view. The problem is that Americans and Europeans see that pavilion and think either super spicy or weird African food, which neither is true. It has a mass of hard competition too, but I am constantly amazed at how this place is always empty.
Correct, you say "steakhouse" and the masses will go, you say "Authentic, ethnic food of a variety you are unfamiliar with" and only those who want something different will venture in. I will go to Spice Road 5:1 over another steakhouse, but I know I'm in the minority.

shortstop

Oddly, I really love that place...Its quiet, good (not great) food and great view. The problem is that Americans and Europeans see that pavilion and think either super spicy or weird African food, which neither is true. It has a mass of hard competition too, but I am constantly amazed at how this place is always empty.
I think that’s the point. I also love Spice Road but there was no demand for it.

Figment82

Correct, you say "steakhouse" and the masses will go, you say "Authentic, ethnic food of a variety you are unfamiliar with" and only those who want something different will venture in. I will go to Spice Road 5:1 over another steakhouse, but I know I'm in the minority.

I’m with you on preferring authentic ethnic food over “steak and burgers” (actually, I don’t eat steak and burgers anyway...) but we went to Spice Road shortly after it opened and found the portions to be pitiful compared to the price point. For the cost of a few shared small plates, we could have enjoyed a full table service meal elsewhere. Has that changed in recent years? I’ll always choose Marrakesh instead, but I know I’m in the super tiny minority there! :)

SpoiledBlueMilk

I’m with you on preferring authentic ethnic food over “steak and burgers” (actually, I don’t eat steak and burgers anyway...) but we went to Spice Road shortly after it opened and found the portions to be pitiful compared to the price point. For the cost of a few shared small plates, we could have enjoyed a full table service meal elsewhere. Has that changed in recent years? I’ll always choose Marrakesh instead, but I know I’m in the super tiny minority there! :)

I'd love more adventurous fare in Epcot - more traditional dishes with ingredients that you don't generally see in theme parks. Alas, I know I'm in the minority. It does make you wonder though - why open a new steak and seafood restaurant if the rumors of Brazil coming to the World Showcase are true? I imagine that new pavilion would be home to a Brazilian steakhouse a la Fogo de Chao. If anything, Japan needs a good ramen restaurant.

bhg469

I'd love more adventurous fare in Epcot - more traditional dishes with ingredients that you don't generally see in theme parks. Alas, I know I'm in the minority. It does make you wonder though - why open a new steak and seafood restaurant if the rumors of Brazil coming to the World Showcase are true? I imagine that new pavilion would be home to a Brazilian steakhouse a la Fogo de Chao. If anything, Japan needs a good ramen restaurant.
UGH a nice bowl of ramen with a big ol hunk of pork belly sounds incredible.... If I didn't have a small heart attack 2 months ago, I would be driving to get some right now!!!

I also think some vietnamese and or Thai needs some good representation year round. Bun Thit Nuong is my jam!

EPCOTCenterLover

Here's my limited view on restaurants in the park. If I want to go to Epcot as a primary source for shopping and dining, then don't make me pay $100+ to get in first. No Food and Wine event in any city can get away with charging that per person to wander the booths and purchase food as you go. Additionally, better ethnic food can be found elsewhere on the WDW property.

The rides/shows/attractions is what makes the place different than a mall. Bring them on- including Brazil and any other country they add to World Showcase.

SpoiledBlueMilk

UGH a nice bowl of ramen with a big ol hunk of pork belly sounds incredible.... If I didn't have a small heart attack 2 months ago, I would be driving to get some right now!!!

I also think some vietnamese and or Thai needs some good representation year round. Bun Thit Nuong is my jam!

That and some real good spicy traditional soup in China instead of the bad takeout food offered in the sit-down restaurant.

daguru

I'm personally not sure how that place is still in business. It could be successful though if Disney would just lower the dang prices. Paying entree prices for Tapas-style food is ridiculous.
I would be happy if they did 3 or 5 dish combo pricing... give a slight discount if you order 3 or 5 of them... Been suggesting this from the very beginning

flyerjab

I honestly have no issues with Epcot bringing in new restaurants. Honestly, when we are planning to eat, DS is now top of the list, followed by resorts, then DAK, MK (Skipper Canteen and BOG), Epcot and then DHS (no shocker here for the moment). Ironic since World Showcase is a purported celebration of cultures from around the world. I actually prefer eating at the festival booths over the TS options in Epcot. I have felt for some time that the TS options need new head chefs, or menu refreshes, or something. DS, along with the choices at AKL or DAK, dominate our go to locations for eating, as well as some other deluxe resort dining options.

jaxonp

Steak house yada baca boring. Japan screams high end sushi restaurant to me or an awesome Ramen place. How many more steakhouses does WDW need???

aladdin2007

Not sure if this is relevant, but I know Mitsukoshi is doing a LOT of moving things around. When I went a few weeks ago, the entire back room was walled off.

I have not been overly impressed with the changes in that store lately. They have ruined the flow, horrible new lighting, and the dingy room off to the side among other things. Just off topic I guess and changes in details but I liked it the way it was before they started messing with it. Would the new restaurant be yet another water side addition if not inside the current building?

Last edited:

peter11435

I have not been overly impressed with the changes in that store lately. They have ruined the flow, horrible new lighting, and the dingy room off to the side among other things. Just off topic I guess and changes in details but I liked it the way it was before they started messing with it. Would the new restaurant be yet another water side addition if not inside the current building?
The side room is just being used temporarily while portions of the store are closed off and reworked.

smile

good...
thirty-five and change years later there's finally use for that show building
:p

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom