Epcot Seas Aqua Tour-- Scuba breathing?

lpet11984

I'm definitely looking into doing this tour when I go on my next trip...I've never done a tour at WDW before, and this one just sounds so absolutely brilliant that I think it would be more than worth the money, but....

I'm nervous about the scuba equipment. I've never been snorkeling before let alone trying to use scuba breathing apparatus. I am a professional musician though and know how to breathe relatively deeply...What is this like? Is it hard to breathe? Can you adjust to using it easily? Will the folks at Epcot help you out if you're having some issues? Is it relatively self-explanatory?

TIA-- if this goes well, I may try to get my scuba certification so I can join my aunt on some dives...

WDWRLD

I dont know if it the same as it was a few years ago but you had to be a certified diver to do the diving tour at The Living Seas.

Upvote 0

lpet11984

Original Poster
Oh man! I hope not...this is the tour I was looking at:

Epcot Seas Aqua Tour
Non-scuba-certified guests have an in-the-water experience with the animals using scuba-assisted snorkelling equipment (provided); swimsuit required; no observers permitted backstage; refreshments, T- shirt, and group photo provided.
- Offered daily.
- Ages 8 and up (Parent or adult guardian must sign waiver for all minors aged 8-16 AND must participate in the program along with the minor.)
- 2.5 hours duration.

Maybe it's changed though??

Upvote 0

Blonde Princess

You do not need to be a certified scuba diver to do aqua tours. We have done it a number of times with our 8 and 11 year old sons.

You are given a scuba-like breathing system, tanks, regulator, guages and mask. The tanks have floats on them. You get a partial wet suit. You can not dive down and will remain on the surface. They are easy to use and there are cast members in and out of the tank to aid you. My 8 year old had no problems.

You are in the water for approximately 1 hour. You take a tour of the facility, go to "school" about the programs, facilities and tour, and change into wet suit and then go up to tank.

You will have a great time. There are tours for which you need to be a certified scuba diver. Aqua tours is not one of them.

Enjoy.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Ashitaka

Just this afternoon I signed my girlfriend and I up for the Aqua Tour for our October trip. We've been playing a lot of the game Endless Ocean on the Ninendo Wii. LOL. So we're really excited to do this tour.

It's Divequest that you need to be a certified SCUBA diver to do, not the Aqua Tour.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
If you are not comfortable/familiar with snorkeling, it will take a little bit of time to adjust. In some ways it's easier as you don't have to worry about clearing water out of your breather....

You will however probably breath very rapidly at first. Recognize this, relax and work to slow it down. It will be much easier after your realize that even though the sensation is a little different, that you get all the air you need. The slower you breath, the longer your supply will last and you can stay in the water. Children adapt much more easily to this as they don't think about it as much as adults.

While certified, I did this for the same reason as blonde princess...I was able to take my then 9 year old son. It was a great treat for him.

You have enough flotation material on that it is impossible for you to get your body below the surface of the water. If you try, you will just look like a human bobber with your legs and bu++ up in the air. While you can't actively touch the fish and other residents, they will come up close to you. You will also be able to see the humans on the other side of the glass and wave at them.

Truly the closest thing to scuba diving a non diver can achieve...and better than snorkeling as there are no waves, snorkel clearing or lack of fish to worry about.

Upvote 0

Mickey&Minnie

Cool
I only knew about the dive where you had to be certified. This sounds fun. Does anyone know how much it costs? We might look into doing that for our upcoming trip in September.

Upvote 0

figment1988

Cool
I only knew about the dive where you had to be certified. This sounds fun. Does anyone know how muc it costs? We might look into doing that for our upcoming trip in September.

the regular cost is $100 per person. what's better is that 100% of the payment that you make will go to Disney's wildlife fund. as for the tour, i have been doing it for 5 years in a row, and it's really breathtaking to see the sealife. one other thing, you can bring your own diving mask as long as the lens(es) are made of tempered glass.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom