Epcot Quick Hits (12/5/07)

DisneySaint

Original Poster
- Echoing the Sentinel's report, SSE appears to be looking at a soft opening around mid-December, so those of you arriving after next weekend may have to give it a pass. There are murmurs of some "testing" that will take place even sooner, but that's scraping the bottom of the barrel.

- The Spaceship Earth cast are now out and about wearing their new Siemens costumes.

- SSE's ride vehicles themselves are the same except now with the LCD screen in the headrests. Most of the ride will be very familiar; many of the same scenes and trademark characters. The cast is reporting some new costumes and a few new scenes (mostly towards the end of the ride) and of course the new narrator and musical score which is supposed to be phenomenal.

- Wonders of Life is done for - forever. Reports are that the future of the building itself is in limbo but the pavillion will NOT reopen for the holidays, nor ever again. We've sadly seen the last of BW, CC, and MoM barring they get moved to somewhere else.

- The new Velcro exhibit in Innoventions West is nearly complete. From what the CMs there are saying, it will be some cool new improv show that uses Velcro products somehow.

- The Waste Management exhibit in Innoventions East is still pretty much dust as evidenced by peeking through the cracks.

That's all for now. All this information is a compilation of CM's info in the parks and should be taken with a grain of salt, like all news/rumors posts.

Captain Hank

I don't suppose they mentioned any padding on the headrests of the vehicles?

I can't wait to (hopefully) ride SSE in a few weeks.

EPCOT Explorer

- Spaceship Earth's testing may begin as soon as in the next few days. This would be similar to the testing Monsters, Inc. had where they pull a random group of people out of the park to test it out. I don't reccomend sitting there outside the attraction hoping for this because it may not even happen and it will be so sporadic that it's not worth it. I will also echo the Sentinel's report that it appears the soft opening will be around mid-December, so those of you arriving after next weekend may have to give it a pass.

- The Spaceship Earth cast are now out and about wearing their new Siemens costumes.

- SSE's ride vehicles themselves are the same except now with the LCD screen in the headrests. Most of the ride will be very familiar; many of the same scenes and trademark characters. The cast is reporting some new costumes and a few new scenes (mostly towards the end of the ride) and of course the new narrator and musical score which is supposed to be phenomenal.

- Wonders of Life is done for - forever. Reports are that the future of the building itself is in limbo but the pavillion will NOT reopen for the holidays, nor ever again. We've sadly seen the last of BW, CC, and MoM barring they get moved to somewhere else.

- The new Velcro exhibit in Innoventions West is nearly complete. From what the CMs there are saying, it will be some cool new improv show that uses Velcro products somehow.

- The Waste Management exhibit in Innoventions East is still pretty much dust as evidenced by peeking through the cracks.

That's all for now. Will keep up on SSE...

Talk about your good news bad news scernaio...
Wow, SSE is gonna rock Epcot.I am so excited that thjis refurb was done right!

The news about WoL is terribly sad.That was a awesome pavillion and I will greatly miss it.:cry:

Still,SSE makes up for it.=p

BTW,any pics of the new uniform?

DisneySaint

Original Poster

You know what's funny is I wished for this - I think the ride vehicles are plastic boxes of terror, but I don't think it's gonna happen as much as I'd love to see it.

kcnole

Hopefully a demolishment of WoL could mean a new pavilion being planned. I don't see any need to completely destroy the building without having some ideas for that location in the future. So maybe this is the beginning of something really good coming for Epcot.

DisneySaint

Original Poster
The building isn't going to be destroyed I don't think; too much of an investment. What is done for is the attractions inside and the exhibits.

I'm going to be in EPCOT on December 14th. Any idea if it could be soft open or if it will still be sporatic? We've already planned to not be able to ride it and if we don't it's no let down, but if we do...HUGE SURPRISE!!!! Wonders will be missed but think about how dated everything was? BW, MoM, and CC all needed updating! Do you remember the "stars" in CC!?!?? Bobcat Goldwait (spelling)!?!?!?!? I don't know what to say will go there but based on the building and progress around EPCOT I woldn't stop to think it will be amazing! I'm a personal believer that CoP always needed to be in EPCOT! I think if it were there we would hear the end of the "will it be closing" rumors every time rehab season comes around! I also think if the land space is available that Canada needs a clone of Grizzly River from DCA! By far one of the best raft rides I've ever been on!!! Much better than Kali River at AK. Any other ideas of things you'd like to see?

Spyne

Interesting news, excited to see SSE! Hopefully it will be open soon. :) Sorry to hear about Wonders of Life though. :( Does anybody have an idea why it closed anyway?

WaltsApprentice

Interesting news, excited to see SSE! Hopefully it will be open soon. :) Sorry to hear about Wonders of Life though. :( Does anybody have an idea why it closed anyway?

Do a quick search on this... this topic has been talked about soooooo much!:brick: basically lost a sponser years ago and couldn't keep up with the cleaning (like my room lol) and it soon because seasonal attraction used for extra space... but then just used for conventions and then wine and food festival... thats pretty much it in a nutshell... I shall miss some of the cool exhibits in there my brother and I had a great time... Oh well time to move on!

Cynderella

Thanks for the info. REgarding the LED screens in the headrests: won't they be bright for the ride? It's ususally nice and dark and I wouldn't want a bright screen shining in my eyes. Also what will be on the screens?

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT

that would be a god send. the back of my head is super sensative due to some accidents... so i have to hold it in the air. it isnt an issue unless we stop on the descent.

I bet the screen don't "come on" until the downward part of the ride.
i agree. it would be a distraction on the way up.

thanks for the report Disneysaint

Disney_Freak429

Thanks for the news. So sad about WoL but I know that they will do something with that space that will in the end be worth seeing the end of WoL. (At least I hope)

Rob562

I bet the screen don't "come on" until the downward part of the ride.

I'm hoping that they moved the "warning" video to the on-board screens and took out the flat-panels in the first tunnel. That way you can see the warning in the very beginning of the tunnel, then have the screens turn off and leave the tunnel dark like it used to be.

-Rob

Pete C

Thanks for the news. So sad about WoL but I know that they will do something with that space that will in the end be worth seeing the end of WoL. (At least I hope)

Yeah, I think its safe to say Disney won't let a large chuck of space sit there for too long without planning something for it. WoL needed to go...I mean the interior was an eyesore and looked like an old shopping mall from the 1970s.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom