News EPCOT Parking Plaza refurbishment?

Haymarket2008

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't REALLY matter, but it is frustrating that they couldn't have at LEAST included Figment. Weird.

That being said, I think the overall entrance experience has been wonderful (presuming the upcoming toll plaza change is on par with everything else). The uniformity of the design goes a LONG way to make a clear statement. But these characters cheapen the effect.

dmw

In the Parks
No
What I find most odd is how Disney keeps trying to appeal to retro and nostalgia, particularly at Epcot. They know how people eat that up, and when something like naming parking lots comes up, this is the best they can do. There is so much Epcot history that could have been used for inspiration.
Or just use the World Showcase as inspiration, and name the lots after countries

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
In the grand scheme of things it doesn't REALLY matter, but it is frustrating that they couldn't have at LEAST included Figment. Weird.

That being said, I think the overall entrance experience has been wonderful (presuming the upcoming toll plaza change is on par with everything else). The uniformity of the design goes a LONG way to make a clear statement. But these characters cheapen the effect.
I think the difficulty lies in that they chose four pairs of associated characters. Who would you pair with Figment? Dreamfinder? Nigel Channing?

DisneyDebRob

I think the difficulty lies in that they chose four pairs of associated characters. Who would you pair with Figment? Dreamfinder? Nigel Channing?
Figment and Dreamfinder work perfectly if they wanted to keep things in pairs. It’s EPCOT… they should at least have a lot until they decide to redo the much needed attraction. They make a fortune off of Figment nut they forget him when naming lots? I’ve scratched my head enough over this. I need a life.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Figment and Dreamfinder work perfectly if they wanted to keep things in pairs. It’s EPCOT… they should at least have a lot until they decide to redo the much needed attraction. They make a fortune off of Figment nut they forget him when naming lots? I’ve scratched my head enough over this. I need a life.
I like Figment and his unique “Epcot-ness”, but Dreamfinder hasn’t been in the attraction in decades. I’ve been to WDW approx 20 times, with each trip being 10+ days, and except for this forum, I’d have no idea who he is.

I just showed my son (the biggest Figment fan ever) a pic of Dreamfinder and he guessed he was an “early version of the Burger King king”. That’s on Disney.

aladdin2007

I dont understand why they didnt go with, Figment of course,,Ratatouille, and Coco etc,,,that at least would have been more epcotish in tone in terms of not being just the stuff from the front of the park. The park is an absolute mess now, the direction and cohesion is worse than ever, they are just throwing things together. what the heck is gamora? the racoon (though could care less) I get but...

Last edited:

MrHappy

I agree. But I think Figment in the parking lot doesn’t give him the recognition that he deserves and the company seems to have noticed. He is the parks mascot, given so much creative opportunities within the park, especially during FOTA. A sign in the parking lot doesn’t make sense for Figgy.

Cliff

This kind of stuff disapoints "legacy" core fans like many of us on this forum. However, the number of people that "care" about EPCOT in the way that we do?...are just too small for Disney to care about.

Let's be honest. 99% of the people Disney is focusing on dont notice the lot names and if they do, they dont give a ratt's butt about it. The new generation of Disney fans just go to the parks and take selfies. They dont look carefully at anything. They dont ask questions and they dobt care about the history of EPCOT and they never look at fine details.

The new generation of Disney fans are 1000 times EASIER to please than us here. These new customers are Disney's bread and butter now.

Statistically speaking...super "legacy" fans dont matter any more. Our standards are just too high in 2023 anyway

aladdin2007

This kind of stuff disapoints "legacy" core fans like many of us on this forum. However, the number of people that "care" about EPCOT in the way that we do?...are just too small for Disney to care about.

Let's be honest. 99% of the people Disney is focusing on dont notice the lot names and if they do, they dont give a ratt's butt about it. The new generation of Disney fans just go to the parks and take selfies. They dont look carefully at anything. They dont ask questions and they dobt care about the history of EPCOT and they never look at fine details.

The new generation of Disney fans are 1000 times EASIER to please than us here. These new customers are Disney's bread and butter now.

Statistically speaking...super "legacy" fans dont matter any more. Our standards are just too high in 2023 anyway
your right,,sadly....In fact they dont look at anything but their phones. If you arent going to shop then get out of the stores if you have to be glued to your phone, its gotten so bad. Doesn't just apply to epcot of course, but for some reason I notice it more, maybe its because they have more little stores and what not, creations is the worst for it however. ugg.

buckeyegator

could care less what the lots are called, it does not matter if you have to walk 15 minutes to get there w/o the trams. we want the trams, we want the trams!!!!!

Lil Copter Cap

Successfully crafted wayfinding is their goal. Period.

Earth. Space.
Characters located in each realm.
Done.

IPCOT has been thrown around for years (decades?) now and this shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. I wish I could say I'm surprised that so many folks are upset over parking signs that help people remember where they park, but I'm not.

These names are actually more cohesive for what EPCOT is becoming than the former names. (Objectively.)

Look, I'm not happy about the IP injection and the mandate being enforced everywhere. But creating memorable parking lot names to help minimize guest frustration at the end of the night (in addition to or separate from the Car Locator) is a win for operations, and lord knows they need all the help they can get.

If anything, I'm upset at how tacky the painting and repaving looks. That's more anger inducing than Moana or WALL•E.

Haymarket2008

Dreamfinder would be the obvious choice, but until he is reinstated into the attraction I don’t think it makes sense to have him there.

Frankly they should have done Figment, Remy, Olaf and Rocket. If they feel they must utilize characters. 2 Future, 2 World Showcase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom