EPCOT Monorail down - truck hits pylon

kverdon

Original Poster
Well are at EPCOT waiting for a bus to take us to the TTC because the EPCOT monorail is down because a driver ran his king cab pickup into a monorail pylon near EPCOT. They must have taken the monorail down while they inspect the pylon

Kevin and Mona

SeaCastle

I believe they just installed barriers around quite a few monorail pylons to protect from exactly this kind of vehicular collision. I hope everyone is okay.

Now I'm wondering, was it intentional? The way the pylons are spaced, it seems like there is a far greater chance of not hitting a pylon than hitting one. The cynical side of me believes that someone would have to willingly aim for a pylon in order to hit it.

ThatMouse

WESH.com reports - "The monorail shuttles passengers between Epcot and the Magic Kingdom."

The truck driver must have hit the new track that suddenly appeared!

_Scar

Imagine a huge semi-truck hitting a pylon... that'd be disastrous. I hope something does happen to secure pylons from this type of collision.

hpyhnt 1000

Imagine a huge semi-truck hitting a pylon... that'd be disastrous. I hope something does happen to secure pylons from this type of collision.

Its already being looked into. Permits were filed some time ago that appear to be for work to do just that.

peachykeen

Its already being looked into. Permits were filed some time ago that appear to be for work to do just that.

Correct. Someone posted pictures of the work completed near the north end of the Contemporary. They are installing large barriers around the pylons which are "exposed" to nearby roadways/parking lots.

Lord Pheonix

Imagine a huge semi-truck hitting a pylon... that'd be disastrous
it would be, for the truck. with todays plastic trucks the driver would have been killed and i doubt there'd be any damage to a piece of cement that big.

trust me, i know. i am a truck driver

Space Mountain

This driver was also "wanted" by Disney officials because he hit a lighting pole earlier the same day at Wide World of Sports and fled. Something makes me think this was intentional.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom